Getting picked on about what you eat at work?

Options

Replies

• Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    Ever since I started this new diet, my co-workers have been giving me crap about what I'm eating. It gets annoying, but I have to work with these guys. Can't drive them away.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Perfect topic for me today! Just had a 2 hour bicker-fest with a couple coworkers who were getting all irritated that I didn't want a cupcake! I offered to give it to someone else, bring it home for my fiance, etc. and they wouldn't accept it. One even said, "I'm not eating one unless she [me] does, and you have to eat it here so I can make sure you eat it" Then they proceeded to make fun of me. Ironically, both constantly complain about their weight. I'm really not tempted, not even annoyed...just shocked at what a big deal they're making out of it. It's kinda funny to me actually, that it bothers them SO much. Well, we'll see who's laughing when they gain another 10 each, and I lose that much and more!

Unfortunately, there are always people who are going to try to convince you "to just have one" or "just TRY it with butter," etc. Just smile to yourself, knowing that your choices are leading to a healthier weight and lifestyle. Try not to let them get to you too much- when that happens, it can be tempting to give in just to shut them up.
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    As a white person, I suddenly feel I've been doing rice the wrong way my whole life too. I usually have rice with meat and veges. Certainly not gravy - that's for roasts, and butter is for bread that is fresh out of the oven. At least it is in my life.

If anyone comments on my food my usual reply is "I'm eating this, you're eating that. That's why I look like me, and you look like you."
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I'm ... not sure why this would bother you so much? Why not just tell him it's how you like your rice instead of taking it to higher ups?

I have to agree with this one....im sure he meant no harm but I can totally understand the annoyance of having to deal with someone like that in the breakroom. Had that happen to me by a co-worker and finally one day I just told them to back off and its really not funny anymore...and they did. Communication goes a long way :)
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I bring green smoothies to work sometimes. I get some really funny looks and even some odd comments. I laugh and offer to let people taste it. A few have.

I see you are from Montgomery, Alabama. I guess I am not surprised he would suggest gravy or some other greasy thing on rice.

What he did was harassment because it made you uncomfortable at work.

The best I can say is to try to ignore them or, in a work situation, just tell someone like you did.

Congrats on your recent weight loss.
  • lawrahmck
    Options
    Do people really put gravy and/or butter on rice?!! wtf?!

anyway yes. I get that too. I get the "are you on a diet?" as I make up my afternoon snack of cottage cheese & tomato on rice crackers. Or add my tuna to my daily salad.

Umm.. no.. I just like to eat well... It's not a diet...
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why it even bothers you? Shrug it off and ignore him.
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Rice is nice.
    The stickier the better but no to butter or gravy.

Not too sensitive to criticism but glad the hoover noises have stopped.

i enjoy everyone of my calories log it and if necessary burn it off.

Off to do that now
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Okay, to answer up on all these posts in one shot:

1. If this is his idea of hitting on me, you should know he's married.
    2. If this is his idea of a joke, I didn't think it was particularly funny. I honestly felt like he was denouncing my Asian culture.
    3. He's actually in great shape, which is surprising for a guy who I saw eating both a Mrs. Freshley's Butterhorn Danish (with 62 grams of carbohydrates) and a bowl of spaghetti the other day! I wouldn't be surprised if he probably has Type 2 Diabetes and doesn't even know it.

When I got the diabetes diagnosis, I had to make a lot of changes, including cutting back on the rice. Last year, others at my job asked me what I was doing to lose the weight, so I gave them the information on what I did. For the most part, my co-workers have been very supportive of my weight loss, and I vow to keep it off, even when some people have the nerve to question what I'm eating.

And for the record, jdhosier is right. With Montgomery being in the Deep South of the U.S., putting butter or gravy on rice is actually considered normal. Maybe that's one of the reasons why the Southeastern U.S. isn't one of the best places for being healthy. Fortunately, I've taken myself out of that stereotype by making those lifestyle changes and living healthier now.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just wired differently and I heard this conversation going down a certain way in my head, but really...

It sounded like was hitting on/flirting with you, in that sort of inept way guys sometimes have when we think we're being charming but aren't.

Yeah I think he was just trying to find a way to talk to you ... maybe not even to flirt but just to joke around for the social aspect of it! You need to think of some snappy comebacks lady... way more fulfilling than teliing a supervisor :ohwell:

edited to correct typo

I thought the same thing.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    This is part of an email I got today. I'm sure it was intended as a joke because the nurse that sent it out is on a "diet" where they were using HCG injections.

"Everyone is invited to participate  Sign-up sheet is at the nurses station.
    Kenny please do not bring any health food. "

Btw, I'm not on a diet, I eat what I want, just don't eat more than I burn....
  • mklassy123
    Options
    I get it. It's annoying when people comment about what you are eating. No one made them the food police. It doesn't matter what you are eating, unsolicited comments are annoying. Once, ok - but again and again is NOT acceptable (not that one is really acceptable either).

The food police are everywhere. Do your best to calmly tell this co-worker that you really don't find his comments about food entertaining and you wish he would stop. Tell that to anyone who makes comments.

True story here, I have a friend who is quite overweight. Her office orders in ice cream once a month for the people who have birthdays that month. It becomes a sundae fest. She planned her day (her birthday month) where she could have a small scoop of ice cream as a treat and not be over her goal. Well as she was going for the ice cream someone oinked at her and then people started to snicker. These were adults. Not only adults but one of them was a partner in the firm. This was years ago and she's still traumatized by it.

I had someone (not overweight) post on Facebook today asking why do people need to comment that they don't drink soda just because she's drinking a soda? It's annoying.

I can tell you horrible food police and comments that were aimed at me too. The point is, they happen. Try to think of a nice and proper way to stop it as it happens - a comment that doesn't sound rude but makes the other person think about it and hopefully apologize.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's none of his business what you eat or how you eat it, but I don't think it is a problem big enough for the supervisor to deal with. Just my opinion though....
  • Trishe57
    Trishe57 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian - I get "What's THAT?" comments about my lunch all the time, followed by, "Yuck, I hate tofu". So I've started going out for a power walk at lunch, and eating half my meal a little before lunch, and the other half a little after lunch.

Today, at a work luncheon, I was checking the calories of my restaurant lunch on my phone, and I got questions about what I was doing. I answered openly, and shared what I was learning about myself. Of *course*, the tall slender blonde woman on our team made a somewhat-condescending comment about never having to worry about what she ate.

Bottom line, for whatever reason, people always feel free to comment on other people's EVERYTHING. Rest assured, it is about THEM, not you. They are projecting their own fears and guilt out there. When people "critique" my diet or lifestyle - or anything else - I just say, "interesting...."
  • dorasworld
    dorasworld Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who felt this way!

Long story short I work with 3 adult men from Sri Lanka and they always offer me from their food (which is extremely delish) & I would eat w/ them daily- but now I really try not to but they feel offended when I dont eat any or get upset!!!.! Mostly their food includes curry rice ( A LOT) and yeah thats what Im avoiding.

So now at lunch I just eat alone or go and take a 10 min walk...

Its not good feeling forced to eat what you dont want at work or anywhere...So I highly feel you!
  • gypsymatis
    gypsymatis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat tuna in oil and cottage cheese with pickles and onions for breakfast.... my coworkers call it alien food....
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Okay, to answer up on all these posts in one shot:

1. If this is his idea of hitting on me, you should know he's married.
    2. If this is his idea of a joke, I didn't think it was particularly funny. I honestly felt like he was denouncing my Asian culture.
    3. He's actually in great shape, which is surprising for a guy who I saw eating both a Mrs. Freshley's Butterhorn Danish (with 62 grams of carbohydrates) and a bowl of spaghetti the other day! I wouldn't be surprised if he probably has Type 2 Diabetes and doesn't even know it.

When I got the diabetes diagnosis, I had to make a lot of changes, including cutting back on the rice. Last year, others at my job asked me what I was doing to lose the weight, so I gave them the information on what I did. For the most part, my co-workers have been very supportive of my weight loss, and I vow to keep it off, even when some people have the nerve to question what I'm eating.

1. You say that like it makes a difference to some people. Just sayin.
    2. I can see where him expressing his own cultural version of the food might seem like cross-cultural oppression. Kind of, but I think your understandable awareness of that subject may be allowing you to read into that interaction a bit much. Who knows, though, you could be right. I certainly wasn't there.
    3. Really? Don't you think you're being just a tad bit superior/judgmental about his food choices there when you don't know jack about his health? It kind of turns you from sounding annoyed at him for the interaction to being annoyed with him because he doesn't have diabetes.

I think it's great that you've lost weight. I think it's unfortunate that your workplace environment is such that you didn't feel comfortable talking with him about it in a direct way.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Typically in an 8 hour shift, I bring some kind of mixed fruit, cheese sticks, greek yogurt, chicken/fish and veggies, or some kind of sandwich wrap, and cucumber/tomatoes. My coworkers will make comments like "you're going to eat all that?" or "you eat like a rabbit" or "i forget you're on a diet."

I just ignore them. It's really none of their business what I do or don't eat. It's not my business to comment on what they eat. I wouldn't have seen a supervisor, because sometimes people really just don't get how what they're saying could hurt someone else's feelings or even be something problematic.

I think it's a little hypocritical that you're making judgment calls on his eating spaghetti, or a danish. It shouldn't be "surprising" that he's in good shape.
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    my friends and family constant comment on what i eat, but you know what.. i know its because they feel guilty about eating their unhealthy foods which they know they could go without therefore it doesnt bother me. what bothers me is when they say stuff like 'i know I shouldnt be eating a WHITE bread roll' as if i care what they eat. though i agree with the others on this he seems to have been simply flirting.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You are the kind of person that destroys work environments and makes people miserable at work. Just an fyi. Camaraderie should be the way.