Getting picked on about what you eat at work?

Options

Replies

• Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I must be the odd women out, a couple of my coworkers hang around the microwave when I am heating my lunch wanting to know what I am having today as it always smells so good, the only thing they make faces at is my smoothies..greenish, brownish & semi frozen. I try to have those at home before I go to work now.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I would understand if he was putting you down for your food choices, but the guy is just making conversation in a joking manner. I really think you're overreacting. Not to mention in another post you just critiqued all of his food choices..
  • busywifehealthylife
    Options
    Yep. All the time. From friends, family, and co-workers. "You need to eat a cheeseburger or something!" "What ARE you eating?" "That looks nasty" "Don't invite her to lunch, she doesn't eat anyway" and on and on and on. My own daughter gave me grief because I turned down cake at a birthday party saying "my mom's just on this crazy diet where she doesn't eat anything" (I eat 1500 calories a day, more if I work out). I get grief if I eat what others consider small portions, if I eat what others consider "health food" or "rabbit food" and ESPECIALLY about my green smoothies. I literally try to find time to make and drink them when NO ONE is around, family or co-worker or otherwise. I have even resorted to drinking one in the car on the way to work just to avoid the questions and comments.

What I say is, IGNORE it. Let it go in one ear and out the others. Misery loves company and people love to rain on the parades of those who are trying to improve themselves and make positive, healthy choices. Usually because they themselves know they are incapable of doing so and it makes them bitter. Keep eating the way you eat and make the choices you know are best for your body and health. Don't bother entertaining anyone who is not a positive, like minded, supportive individual. Let that crap just roll off your back. Haters are everywhere. But they can only get to you if you let them.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I say: "don't yuck my yum, man".
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    He was trying to be funny I'm sure.
    For the sake of gravy relax.

Your doing great who gives a rats patootie what people say?
  • amyljl77
    amyljl77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    People are ridiculous...and jealous. Seeing someone have the will power and strength to eat healthy when they can't makes them feel weak and inadequate...so they have to make themselves feel better by assuming there is something wrong with you for not wanting to stuff your face with ham loaf and french fries.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Lol. Idk why everyone is freaking out about rice with butter or rice with gravy. Rice with gravy is freakin delicious, especially if the gravy has some nice little meaty bits. You never had a nice roast beef and made gravy with the pan drippings and made rice on the side instead of potatoes or noodles? You are missing out.

Oh, and an edit to be more on topic: Everyone at work it seems is on some sort of 'attempt to lose weight' so no one comments on another persons food choices. Although this does lead to the 'being bad as a group' mentality a bit. If someone brings in cupcakes and one person can resist, then we all do. If one person caves.... then yeah.... we pretty much all do. =)
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    There's an easy answer....tell them to STFU
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
  • Dawn1488
    Options
    Every day someone comments on my snacks or the amount of food I am eating. It's silly because they go out and bring back large amounts of food and gobble it down like it's the thing to do. Some one is always saying things like oh go have a hamburger or trying to get me to eat some potato chips or other things that I do not and will not eat on a regular basis at least. I just tell them there is a time for that and it is not now and I do splurge every once in a while but can not do it everyday or every meal. I also inform them that I eat a normal portion size. That always gets them. :)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    "That's how I like it." /end conversation.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just wired differently and I heard this conversation going down a certain way in my head, but really...

It sounded like was hitting on/flirting with you, in that sort of inept way guys sometimes have when we think we're being charming but aren't.

^ I agree with this.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    You are the kind of person that destroys work environments and makes people miserable at work.

This is the kind of people our society is creating.... Everything is offensive, noone can take a joke or turn the other cheek.

From what I read this guy didnt even say anything wrong, if you didnt like his comments you should have said, "Do I have to listen to this every day because I dont think it is funny, and I would appreciate it if you would stop." Essentially, you are an adult and you just tattled. He was not "picking on you." And if you truly felt he was, where was the part of the conversation where you stood up for yourself? That should be your go-to, not running to a supervisor. besides, that makes you look really unprofessional, too, supervisors have bigger fish to fry...

Also, as someone else pointed out: you picking apart his eating habits is just as rude, and if he shouldnt pay attention to what you eat, why are you even looking at his plate? thats none of YOUR business, either...
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just tell them "you be mirin my body in sheddin season"
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I would have just told him to leave me and my plain rice alone. No need to get someone else involved unless he still didn't stop..
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    "How about a nice hot cup of shut the f*&^k up?"

Yes :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Seems like an non issue to me. I used to eat tuna straight out of the can and always got comments from guys about putting mayo or something else in it. I always laughed and never once did it even ENTER my mind to go to a supervisor (could be because they were my subordinates already anyway). But still, he was probably flirting with you, or just trying to find ANYTHING to chat with you about.

This one goes in my "le sigh" category.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You are the kind of person that destroys work environments and makes people miserable at work.

This is the kind of people our society is creating.... Everything is offensive, noone can take a joke or turn the other cheek.

From what I read this guy didnt even say anything wrong, if you didnt like his comments you should have said, "Do I have to listen to this every day because I dont think it is funny, and I would appreciate it if you would stop." Essentially, you are an adult and you just tattled. He was not "picking on you." And if you truly felt he was, where was the part of the conversation where you stood up for yourself? That should be your go-to, not running to a supervisor. besides, that makes you look really unprofessional, too, supervisors have bigger fish to fry...

Also, as someone else pointed out: you picking apart his eating habits is just as rude, and if he shouldnt pay attention to what you eat, why are you even looking at his plate? thats none of YOUR business, either...

Word
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I just tell them "you be mirin my body in sheddin season"

3ohec5.jpg
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Just had a 2 hour bicker-fest with a couple coworkers who were getting all irritated that I didn't want a cupcake! I offered to give it to someone else, bring it home for my fiance, etc. and they wouldn't accept it. One even said, "I'm not eating one unless she [me] does, and you have to eat it here so I can make sure you eat it" Then they proceeded to make fun of me.

That's crazy. I'd just say, "well, I guess you don't get to eat one- what a shame". And where do they get off making fun of you?

I didn't realize how fortunate I am- I work in a department of very health-conscious people. One is vegetarian, one is gluten-free and won't eat any processed food or artificial ingredients, one has high cholesterol in her 20s (inherited) and is determined to stay off of statins- and the boss runs marathons. Nobody hassles anybody about what they eat or don't eat.

It must be harder for people who are overweight to put up with this- in my case, I'm close to my goal weight and my response would be, "this discipline is what got me to my goal weight and I'm not gonna mess with it now". I hope the rest of you get there soon- it's a pretty powerful argument!