Doritos are not meth.

Options

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Willpower is a stupid diet industry buzzword, points off for that.

Willpower is about so much more than simply your diet. It's what gets you out of bed on days you feel too groggy. It's what gets you to pay your bills. It's what keeps you from choking a co-worker or in-law that is royally pissing you off. Willpower is another word for self-control.

I was referring to it's use when it comes to weight loss, not in general.

Ok, but it means the same thing, no matter what the context. A lot of things in life require willpower, not just food.

But we are not discussing 'a lot of things in life' here, we are discussing food.The term has certain connotations when used in the context of this discussion. A common thought amongst the weight loss crowd is that not having 'willpower' means that you will end up failing like the failing failure you are. People blame their failed weight loss attempts because they are told they "don't have willpower" by others/the media/themselves whoever, which I take issue with.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I think this thread is like meth! I. CAN'T. STOP. READING!

Actually I've never done meth so I'm not really sure that is true, but I have done Doritos!
  • chimelle85
    chimelle85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree with you more. The amount of times I've tried to lose weight by cutting out the things I like and predictably it hasn't worked. I discovered MFL and I've not looked back since. I don't really have any cravings at all because if I really fancy something I just have a smaller portion, everything in moderation! :-) Also only setting myself to lose a pound or so a week has helped me to feel less deprived.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Willpower is about so much more than simply your diet. It's what gets you out of bed on days you feel too groggy. It's what gets you to pay your bills. It's what keeps you from choking a co-worker or in-law that is royally pissing you off. Willpower is another word for self-control.

Ok, but it means the same thing, no matter what the context. A lot of things in life require willpower, not just food.

But we are not discussing 'a lot of things in life' here, we are discussing food.The term has certain connotations when used in the context of this discussion. A common thought amongst the weight loss crowd is that not having 'willpower' means that you will end up failing like the failing failure you are. People blame their failed weight loss attempts because they are told they "don't have willpower" by others/the media/themselves whoever, which I take issue with.

It is something that you learn. Self-control does not come naturally. Sometimes parents teach it, but if your parents are binge eaters, then you have to learn it on your own. It doesn't mean you are "doomed," but rather that you have to work on it.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    The GREAT thing about this thread is that it has brought me in touch with some AWESOME new MFP palsies! <3 to all my new friends.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
    EXTREMELY LOUD CLAPPING!!!!!!!
    [/quote]
    :drinker:
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options

It is something that you learn. Self-control does not come naturally. Sometimes parents teach it, but if your parents are binge eaters, then you have to learn it on your own. It doesn't mean you are "doomed," but rather that you have to work on it.

Huh? I was trying to explain why I think that willpower is a diet buzzword, but never mind.

KAGno2V.jpg
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    It's probably safe to say that unbridled pleasure can to disastrous consequences.

I've never eaten a single BBQ chip (my personal kryptonite) because I HATED the taste.

The only REASON I can eat a bag of BBQ chips is because I find it highly pleasurable, and that puts me in the state of "self-control who?" and overrides my better judgment.

That's basically what happens. Every. Time.

So the answer is to apply the self-control BEFOREHAND and use it to whatever extent I have to in order to not fall into the self-induced pleasure trap. Boundaries. Pleasure, for me, is best enjoyed in controlled environments, and at the end of the day, it's really about balance.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Wow. A lot of entitled people in here who seem to not realize there are actually people out there with (gasp) eating disorders. Some people literally can NOT keep Doritos/etc in their house.. I personally can't keep junk food in my house, I will binge on it. If you don't know what that's like, then don't speak for and judge people who legitimately have problems with trigger foods and cannot control themselves of their own volition. Eating disorders aren't a scapegoat for lack of willpower/gluttony/whatever.. we don't enjoy having these problems..
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If someone brings cupcakes into my work, and I decide I’d like one – I eat it, I think “What a delicious cupcake.”, log it as best as I can in my food journal and continue with my day. I never think about it again, I don’t skip dinner or do an extra workout or pray to the Weight Loss God. I don’t shiver and sob on my bathroom floor while rubbing Sensa crystals all over my body.

LMFAO! Well said!!
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options

It's also what keeps you from buying the Doritos at the grocery store. :-)

I get none of these things done by using willpower. It's all man power.

Man: "Joy get out of bed!" *poke poke*
    Man "Joy did you pay your bills??"
    Man: *restraining me from beating idiots"
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    If someone brings cupcakes into my work, and I decide I’d like one – I eat it, I think “What a delicious cupcake.”, log it as best as I can in my food journal and continue with my day. I never think about it again, I don’t skip dinner or do an extra workout or pray to the Weight Loss God. I don’t shiver and sob on my bathroom floor while rubbing Sensa crystals all over my body. I ate a cupcake, I didn’t hit someone with my car and keep driving, so why should I feel guilty?

See, what is wrong with you is that you are what is sometimes referred to as "rational." Or some might say "pragmatic." You may even have overtones of "well adjusted."
    You'll probably go on to live a successful life or some such hell.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Options
    Spicy sweet chilli Doritos are pretty much like crack to me. If I eat one, I freebase the entire bag. Open mouth, pour in chips. That's why I don't buy them.

This made me LOL so hard!

For me it's chocolate. If I get even a LITTLE taste, I need more. Very much like Meth! BUT...I also know that I'm not going to live my life not ever tasting chocolate again. Just not going to happen!

LOL I thought this said Febreeze the whole bag...as an effort to keep yourself from eating the rest. Then when I went on to see you then dump them into your mouth I was like HOLY HELL? FEBREEZED CHIPS? You DO have a problem!!!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Doritos may not be meth but I sure inhaled them as if they were.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    You are amazing. Everything you said was on-point and perfect. I am adding you. <3
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i remember when myfitnesspal was fun.....you people are all nuts goodbye
  • PeachyKeene
    Options
    Addicts cannot have their addiction in moderation, plain and simple.

So I guess food addicts should be simply provided ......what? Pills or IV tubes? Should they get their dietary needs by prescription? I'm sure you don't think they just starve to death?

With food addicts, it is not about eating itself, it is more about what we eat. I can eat my grilled or baked meat, steamed veggies, and fruits like a normal person. It is when I eat cookies, cake, chips, chocolate, fried chicken, those pleasure foods are what gets me. I can eat, eat, eat, until I feel like my stomach is going to explode. I know all the time I don't want to be doing this, I don't need to be doing this, I workout hard and work hard to lose weight, but yet I can't control myself. I have tried, but eat, eat more, eat more. Unless you have this problem you will not understand, but don't taunt or make as if it isn't real.
  • PeachyKeene
    Options
    i remember when myfitnesspal was fun.....you people are all nuts goodbye

Ummm, MFP can be fun, but there are real people here with real problems.... .Get over it!!
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Options
    But being serious here.

A doritos addiction is a food addiction just like a meth addiction is a drug addiction.

Just because you personally feel that a meth addiction is more real than a food addiction doesn't mean that's the case.

And it's not just you, it's the societal norm to devalue these addictions and mental illnesses, which is why it is really hard for these people to get help. When someone with a food addiction tries to reach out (which, bless them, is really really difficult to do in the first place) people with your attitude will just tell them they "don't have a real problem" or "just need to get some willpower" or "not buy junk food". Can you imagine telling someone with a meth addiction that? Do you think it would work??

So, shame on you.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    What I think is funny is that some people on these threads taking nothing seriously and some people take everything seriously. And the two shall never mix.

OP, I think your post was funny and right on target. I'm sending you a friend request. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.