Doritos are not meth.

Options
I’m hesitant even as I write this, because I don’t want this to turn into some horrible flame war thread, because I write this with good intentions and not to judge or bully anyone. But it’s been on my mind for some time so I want to write it out…

Everywhere I look on this site I see threads or comments where people are losing their damn mind because someone brought cupcakes into work, or their mother-in-law made pasta for Sunday dinner, or they had to drive past a Taco Bell last Wednesday and it’s been giving them night terrors. They refuse to eat these things in moderation, or fit them somewhere in their daily/weekly/monthly goals and instead spend hours freaking out and obsessing about what they ate, didn’t eat or almost ate.

If someone brings cupcakes into my work, and I decide I’d like one – I eat it, I think “What a delicious cupcake.”, log it as best as I can in my food journal and continue with my day. I never think about it again, I don’t skip dinner or do an extra workout or pray to the Weight Loss God. I don’t shiver and sob on my bathroom floor while rubbing Sensa crystals all over my body. I ate a cupcake, I didn’t hit someone with my car and keep driving, so why should I feel guilty?

I’m not saying I don’t make bad choices some days. The other day I ate an entire bag of tortilla chips and an entire jar of queso dip. And not throughout the day or at a casual social event. I sat on my couch and crammed about 1500 calories into my mouth in 20 minutes. Did I regret it afterwards? Of course I did. Do I now think I have a queso addiction and refuse to have it in my house? No. There is a bag of chips in my cupboard and a jar of dip in my fridge. I like to enjoy a serving of each some nights after work.

The big picture is, food can not own or control us. We have power over our own minds. You are not addicted to chocolate. You are not addicted to carbs. There’s no shifty dudes hanging out in the alley trying to sell you Cheetos. Doritos are not meth. Losing weight to me has nothing to do with looking smokin’ hot in a bikini, one of my biggest goals is to continue to learn and implement my own self control. To learn how to keep things in balance, and make good decisions. I will slip up sometimes and moderation can fly out the window, but I’d rather learn from my mistakes than constantly worry about these “bad foods” and when they’re going to get me. I want to be free from these restrictions we put upon ourselves.

I’m not saying you have to keep eating junk food. If you don’t want to, don’t. If you want to eat clean (whatever that actually means), then go nuts. Just stop giving food more power than it has. I am so sick of people talking about food like it’s a drug. “Oh, I can’t control myself around sweets.” Yes, you can. You just never have. “I can’t have chips in my house!” Sure you can. Sometimes you’ll ration them out serving by serving throughout the week, and sometimes you’ll eat the entire bag at once and regret it afterwards. In my opinion, you will learn more from that than from walking through life with your eyes closed pretending chips don’t exist.

They do exist. And they are delicious.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    EXTREMELY LOUD CLAPPING!!!!!!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I once tried to eat some doritos

Ended up eating an entire party bag (the $4 bag) in like an hour.

Doritos: Not even once
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Spicy sweet chilli Doritos are pretty much like crack to me. If I eat one, I freebase the entire bag. Open mouth, pour in chips. That's why I don't buy them.

I think you'll find that's the case with people who legitimately fear junk food. They know that one cookie means a dozen. You'll also find that these people are usually in their first baby steps to change their lifestyle or they're not even working on changing their lifestyle and are just "on a diet".

If people are finding some security in their fears right now, let's them. 20, 30, 50 pounds down the road, they'll figure it out. They'll figure out that one cookie did not make them 75 pounds overweight. Until then.................. we all do what works for us.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Great post! =)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I didn't read your entire post but I do agree with what I read. That said, Doritos seriously are a danger for me. I can take any other kind of snack and portion out one serving and be happy with it. We haven't had Doritos for months and we got some the other day and two days in a row I ate 3 servings at a time. I kept thinking, just a few more, just a few more. Will I swear them off forever, no. They're too yummy. Will I try to be smarter about eating one serving at a time? Maybe.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    True story.

Meth makes you skinny.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Now I want Cool Ranch Doritos...mmmm....
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Evidently, binge eating on a single food was never your issue.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post.

IR1FcHN.gif
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Darn, I wondered why I could never get buzzed off them! :laugh:
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Eat Doritos in moderation? Unpossible!

Seriously. It's not even remotely likely.

So yeah, avoiding food which so easily defeats one's willpower is a good life choice.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree. However, there are a few foods for each of us that we tend to go nuts on. Last year, I banned poptarts (blueberry and brown sugar cinna) from my house because I can just eat a whole box in one sitting. this year, I have banned fruit snacks. They are the only things that are hard for me to just sit and eat a proper portion.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    EXTREMELY LOUD CLAPPING!!!!!!!
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    So... I shouldn't have crushed those Doritos and snorted them? Hunh. I guess I did it wrong...
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    Yep, the more you obsess about the slip ups, the more they seem to happen!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    They do exist. And they are delicious.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_b2zDPtB8yGdEUXQISBuatHcb50s2VHo98l_XBIQ_LQsxXK3yug
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Spicy sweet chilli Doritos are pretty much like crack to me. If I eat one, I freebase the entire bag. Open mouth, pour in chips. That's why I don't buy them.

This made me LOL so hard!

For me it's chocolate. If I get even a LITTLE taste, I need more. Very much like Meth! BUT...I also know that I'm not going to live my life not ever tasting chocolate again. Just not going to happen!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! Moderation really is key and if someone wants to purely eat clean then good for them. I unfortunately run into issues like lack of time so I have to eat processed every so often and the odd chip never really hurt me. I even had some dino-sours last night and it was glorious processed sugar and gelatin heaven!

I also realized I can fit my favorite food in every day of the week if I wanted to if I just tweaked how I used to eat it so now I can be happy with moderation :)
This discussion has been closed.