Doritos are not meth.

Options

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Remove the problem resolve the issue.

You binge on Doritos and queso and are trying to lose weight. You say you feel bad and go out and buy another bag to have 'I a serving of each some nights after work" - but then end up binge-ing on them. Confusion sets in when you know Doritos are trigger food, you want to lose weight, you keep buying them when you cant control yourself. I mean if i don't want a fire i blow my candles out, and if i don't want to binge i don't buy massive quantities of things i know i cant control myself on, especially when I am trying to lose weight.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    People that suffer from binge eating, often have to avoid certain foods, situations, and temptations to stay on track. Don't judge if you've never been there.

It's like saying, I only smoke in "moderation"

I started losing weight at 320 pounds. I have been there, I spent 15 years there.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Eat Doritos in moderation? Unpossible!

Seriously. It's not even remotely likely.

So yeah, avoiding food which so easily defeats one's willpower is a good life choice.

For you.

I got off a plane yesterday and was hungry. My husband had a bag of doritos with him - healthiest thing in the airport food machine. I ate 4. He ate 2.

We gave the rest of the bag to my skinny 14 year old, who was thrilled because he rarely gets junk food.

People differ.

I completely agree. I think you've (perhaps unwittingly) helped me make my point.
  • petite_boleyn
    Options
    THIS. THIS FOREVER. I LOVE YOU.

One of my favorite parts about starting to recover from my eating disorder has been getting over fear foods. Food is not supposed to be scary. For instance, it may have taken me 20 minutes just to slice open an avocado and decide to try to make avocado fries the other day, but damnit, I did it. I was terrified I'd eat the whole bag of those suckers, or not be able to eat any.

So it was just easier to forbid myself to eat it for a long time. However, comma, those avocado fries were some of the most delicious things I have ever eaten. I ate a serving. Not all of the ones in the fridge at once, but not "screw that just drink more coffee instead". I was proud. :)
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Actually, contrary to what you may believe, some people actually DO have food addictions. Some people can NOT have just one cupcake, or just one serving of Doritos. For a variety of reasons, may people develop food addictions as a way of dealing with stress, pain, sadness, loneliness, etc. Some folks actually DO get addicted to the physical feeling of a carb or sugar high. For some gluten intolerant people (like me) gluten (a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye) acts as a sedative, and as a result, we may end up depending on that sedative for many years rather than learning how to clam ourselves down without relying on food that acts like a drug for us. Just as shopping, sex, or gambling can become an addiction, so can certain types of eating. Just because YOU have no food addictions does not mean that others don't.

If I could eat sugar in moderation, that would be great. But I can't. So I just don't eat it any more. It works for me, whether you believe it or not.
  • shona329
    Options
    Great post.
  • shellybob79
    shellybob79 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, great post. Nothing wrong with enjoying a little bit of what you fancy. :)
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Evidently, binge eating on a single food was never your issue.

Yes, it actually was my issue. That's the whole point of this to me, to work through my issues and learn from them rather than hide from them the rest of my life. Learning that food is not comfort is my biggest mind block to fight though.

Amen, sister! It isn't easy, but you can't always avoid temptation, so it is way better to learn to live with them.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Wow. While I can see what you are trying to do here (and I appreciate it) for yourself and others, food addiction/compulsive eating actually does exist and is very real. Just like I don't understand the mindset of a chronic gambler, smoker or heroin addict, neither might they understand my challenges with food.

Sugar and flour are my gateway drugs. I have 30 years of proof that moderation does not work for me..and no amount of telling me that I "should" be able to control it, forget that it is in the cupboard, just have one, or that I am bad/lazy/weak/lacking in willpower and strength has changed that. In fact, that generally makes it worse..because shame will always do that.

We all have our own ways of dealing with this. It is great moderation works for you. But it isn't the fix for everyone and until you live a day in someone else's skin, you really can't judge.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    People that suffer from binge eating, often have to avoid certain foods, situations, and temptations to stay on track. Don't judge if you've never been there.

It's like saying, I only smoke in "moderation"

I've been there, by saying NO to overeating & WANTING to get fitter I have lost 4.5 stone!
    If you can't eat in moderation, you're probably not trying & don't want to change your life as much as you're making out you do.

ALSO, I wanted to quit smoking, I did it over night, but some people wanting to quit will actually smoke in moderation to ween themselves off.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    You know what my #1 weight loss secret is?

This may shock a lot of people, so sit down.

I only care about my diet. Other people can do what they want or don't want to do. :)

If moderation or self control over food was something that was universal or everyone understood, we wouldn't all be a bunch of overweight people or formerly overweight people on a weight loss website talking about Doritos.
  • juditomp
    juditomp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Doritos are not meth. They're crack to me.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    <3 OP...

but I did just snort some cake...it was fantabulous...oops went over cals by 89...my bad.

huh..

still don't care...

WIN!

:drinker:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Eat Doritos in moderation? Unpossible!

Seriously. It's not even remotely likely.

So yeah, avoiding food which so easily defeats one's willpower is a good life choice.

I'm going to venture a guess that if you're letting Doritos have so much power over you that you can't eat them in moderation, you need to work on your willpower.

You are choosing the lazy way, and you are not making lifelong-sustainable choices.

lulz. My choices are quite fine, as evidenced by my successful weight loss. My lifelong-sustainable choices (ongoing, obviously) include understanding my own abilities and limitations, and planning to capitalize on the former while minimizing the latter.

I suppose you have perfect willpower in every aspect of your life. If so then you are one of a minority (of possibly one).

I do eat Doritos. I budget for more than a single serving however, and it happens once in a blue moon.

Anyway, Doritos aren't my real Achilles heel.

Of course I don't have perfect willpower - I'm human just like everybody else. But I don't blame the Imperial Stout when I drink too much of it... that was my own choice and my own lack of willpower. But, I'm not going to stop drinking Imperial Stouts because of that lack of willpower, either. That's fixing a symptom, not the cause. The cause is the willpower, not the Stout, and the person in control of that is me.

I guess it's just that I take full responsibility for my actions.
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Fabulous post! LOL :drinker:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    If you squint your eyes, they look like carrots.

Just don't devour them like carrots.
    Everything in moderation.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Remove the problem resolve the issue.

You binge on Doritos and queso and are trying to lose weight. You say you feel bad and go out and buy another bag to have 'I a serving of each some nights after work" - but then end up binge-ing on them. Confusion sets in when you know Doritos are trigger food, you want to lose weight, you keep buying them when you cant control yourself. I mean if i don't want a fire i blow my candles out, and if i don't want to binge i don't buy massive quantities of things i know i cant control myself on, especially when I am trying to lose weight.

I think you need to read my post again. I bought another bag of chips and queso for the exact reason that I did binge on them. Eliminating them forever hides the problem, but does not solve it. I am teaching myself to have a healthy mindset about food and to practice self control. This is part of my practice. Also, even after that binge I lost weight this week, it's all about rebound and not falling into a shame spiral.
  • Jessiebell527
    Jessiebell527 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    True story.

Meth makes you skinny.

^^HA!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Lol if you still eat Doritos apparently you've never read this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/q5ikr/reddit_what_is_the_weirdestmost_****ed_up_thing/c3uynfu

WARNING: Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach.

Have you seen what's in Gatorade and Mountain Dew? FLAME RETARDANT!
  • Naywifey07
    Naywifey07 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I have learned while using MFP just track what you eat even if its good or bad and keep moving forward. I signed up last year with this app but barely used it. So I started back last month and what I can say is that I have been tracking my food every day. Some good and some bad. I always said "ok next month no this no that" and I realized just by tracking and keeping up with what your eating can go a very long way. So I love Doritosand might bag a bag soon. Lol :)
This discussion has been closed.