Doritos are not meth.

Options

Replies

• cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE....

I totally agree with you. If I want something (chocolate, cake, chips, pizza, burger, whatever), I try first to see if there are low calorie of those choices such as special K chips (which I don't mind) or 100 calorie shortbread cookies and 90 calorie brownies (both of which I LOVE!!!). The small packs are just enough to satisfy my "craving" of them. I've learned not to avoid what I crave, because it will just drive me nuts. I eat what I "crave", and move on. I try to find a low calorie version of it, but if I can't (like pizza) then I just log it. I had pizza and wings last week for dinner. Sure I did a little bit of extra work out. So that I wouldn't go over my calorie count for the day, but I didn't kill myself over it nor feel guilty about it. If I try to ignore the "craving", I'll end up overeating eat, which is what I want to avoid.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

I am a food addict, I don't understand moderation.

That's just an excuse, everyone understands moderation, you just have to say NO to yourself and see it through.
    It isn't easy, but it's not impossible if you keep trying.

I'm sorry, but are you a psychiatrist? A medical doctor? If not, perhaps you should not try speaking with authority on topics you do not understand.

It's great that you can eat crap in moderation. Don't shame the people who cannot. It's just plain rude, and it makes you look like a jerk.

I posted twice, look down there vvvvvvv
  • 2906denise
    Options
    well said
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Eat Doritos in moderation? Unpossible!

Seriously. It's not even remotely likely.

So yeah, avoiding food which so easily defeats one's willpower is a good life choice.

I'm going to venture a guess that if you're letting Doritos have so much power over you that you can't eat them in moderation, you need to work on your willpower.

You are choosing the lazy way, and you are not making lifelong-sustainable choices.

lulz. My choices are quite fine, as evidenced by my successful weight loss. My lifelong-sustainable choices (ongoing, obviously) include understanding my own abilities and limitations, and planning to capitalize on the former while minimizing the latter.

I suppose you have perfect willpower in every aspect of your life. If so then you are one of a minority (of possibly one).

I do eat Doritos. I budget for more than a single serving however, and it happens once in a blue moon.

Anyway, Doritos aren't my real Achilles heel.

Of course I don't have perfect willpower - I'm human just like everybody else. But I don't blame the Imperial Stout when I drink too much of it... that was my own choice and my own lack of willpower. But, I'm not going to stop drinking Imperial Stouts because of that lack of willpower, either. That's fixing a symptom, not the cause. The cause is the willpower, not the Stout, and the person in control of that is me.

I guess it's just that I take full responsibility for my actions.

Your condescension is both misguided and misplaced.

Well at least I got the condescension right. Can't win 'em all.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I think some people are missing the point.

I'm not some super fit person who doesn't understand your "food addiction". I ate and ate and ate my way to over 300 pounds. I have not been under 200 pounds since I was 12 years old. I know all about eating in secret, binge eating, feeling like I had no control, using food as comfort, eating when I was sad or angry or lonely. I have felt shame my whole life, thinking other people had something within them that I did not possess. Feeling like food had control over me and I couldn't change it.

All I am saying is - it is all in your mind. Fight your mind to help your body.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • mymonty
    mymonty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I LOVED THAT!!!!!!! I totally agree!!!!!! I've eaten things and regretted it later, but I'M STILL ALIVE!!!

Thanks for that awesome blog! (post)
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I think some people are missing the point.

I'm not some super fit person who doesn't understand your "food addiction". I ate and ate and ate my way to over 300 pounds. I have not been under 200 pounds since I was 12 years old. I know all about eating in secret, binge eating, feeling like I had no control, using food as comfort, eating when I was sad or angry or lonely. I have felt shame my whole life, thinking other people had something within them that I did not possess. Feeling like food had control over me and I couldn't change it.

All I am saying is - it is all in your mind. Fight your mind to help your body.

Love the original post and love this.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

That's just an excuse, everyone understands moderation, you just have to say NO to yourself and see it through.
    It isn't easy, but it's not impossible if you keep trying.

I'm sorry, but are you a psychiatrist? A medical doctor? If not, perhaps you should not try speaking with authority on topics you do not understand.

It's great that you can eat crap in moderation. Don't shame the people who cannot. It's just plain rude, and it makes you look like a jerk.

I'm sorry? I don't understand, really? I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt & lost the weight, so please, go on & tell me how I do not understand.
    No actually, I was saying it in a stern encouraging "it is possible, you can do it" way! No shaming intended.
    Being a binge eater, alcoholic, addict of anything, is something you can overcome, you just have to stop making excuses & work at it.

It's nice to see that after a year MFP still has people who jump the gun & ride high horses.
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You know what my #1 weight loss secret is?

This may shock a lot of people, so sit down.

I only care about my diet. Other people can do what they want or don't want to do. :)

If moderation or self control over food was something that was universal or everyone understood, we wouldn't all be a bunch of overweight people or formerly overweight people on a weight loss website talking about Doritos.

Couldn't agree more!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I :heart: you.

Also, is it creepy that I would like to see pictures of you rubbing Sensa crytsals all over your body? Yes? OK, then... *goes to the corner*

I have videos online, but it's 19.95 a month.
  • foxymama73
    foxymama73 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love it!!! Especially the part about being a "crying, quivering mass on the floor rubbing Sensa all over yourself" (I paraphrase)...I laughed, loud, and alot because you spoke my very thoughts!!! I admit to stressing just a little about the upcoming SuperBowl party, but as you said, if I want it, I'm gonna eat it!!! Its not like I'll blow up over night!!! Hilarious, and sooo true!! I applaud you!!:drinker:
  • DarkAngel262
    DarkAngel262 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have to kindly disagree. Food addiction is very real, very powerful, and harmfully controlling. I'm working harder than ever to break this addiction, but I am one of those people who cannot have certain things in my home. I also have to call someone on the way home from work sometimes as I pass restaurants.

I'm not saying this to make an excuse. I hestitated mentioning it at all as it's hands down THE most shameful and embarassing thing I've ever struggled with.

My point is, you can't just throw a blanket statement on everyone. Be mindful of those people who can literally be in a panic or tears over being near trigger foods. :flowerforyou:
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Oh, and ONE MORE THING! There was not ONE OUNCE of shaming anyone else in the OP's post. For pity's sake, the "shame" you feel is coming from within yourself! Own it, admit it, stop blaming everyone else for your own feelings of shame, ESPECIALLY when there isn't anyone making you feel that way except yourself, and let it go.

The purpose of this post was to share HER experience, and encourage people that they, too, can find the place they need to be to feel that food is not their enemy. PERIOD.

STOP placing your own issues onto everyone else.

Please.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm having huge mixed emotions about your post. I don't think you are trying to drag anyone down, especially since you are talking about people taking back control, etc. I think that's great and true. But, by continuing on to read you talking about how food is not an addiction, it suddenly hit me that clearly you don't understand. Food is an addiction for some people. It is like a drug. That is how i have been overweight nearly my entire life. I don't feel until you truly 'detox' from things like taco bell, doritos and choclate like you mentioned that you can truly move on from the 'terrors' of driving past fast food places. Just my thoughts.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Amen. Cupcakes are tasty.
  • iampam4399
    iampam4399 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am a all or nothing kinda gal. I will eat the entire batch of cupcakes or at least eat until they are gone. I will eat the entire bag of chips and then look for more.

You obviously understand something because your 60+ lb weight loss is fabulous!! Congrats to you!!!! I wish I could be as misunderstanding.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I :heart: you.

Also, is it creepy that I would like to see pictures of you rubbing Sensa crytsals all over your body? Yes? OK, then... *goes to the corner*

I have videos online, but it's 19.95 a month.

*takes off pants and hands over credit card*

Wait, what?
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

can someone post cliff's plz?
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Evidently, binge eating on a single food was never your issue.

Yes, it actually was my issue. That's the whole point of this to me, to work through my issues and learn from them rather than hide from them the rest of my life. Learning that food is not comfort is my biggest mind block to fight though.

As someone who can binge anything from salad to ice cream your post was very well said. I keep chips, ice cream, chocolate, etc all in the house. And I do go nuts once in a while and kill the entire party bag of cheetos BUT learning it's the not the end of the world and learning how to portion MOST of the time is how you have to live... else you spend your days in constant fear.

Just a side note... for those days I know I'm going to want to binge but I really, really want to behave and I really want to eat a whole bag I go out of my way to buy the individual bags (Costco has a box of utz little bags I use for this). I eat one or even two and when I crumple the bags up and throw them away I feel like I got away with killing the bag but don't have quite as much guilt. It's learning how to control your urges 80% of the time and not killing yourself for the other 20%.
This discussion has been closed.