Doritos are not meth.

Options

Replies

• Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Right... and if you think happy thoughts you can fly

You really can! it's a blast! But it doesn't just work on happy thoughts alone, you need a little fairy dust, remember??
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: Well said.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Of course Doritos are not meth. You don't go smoking a whole bag of meth all at once.
  • lilteepot
    Options
    According to OP, it all boils down to "will power".... wow....

Umm. It does. Every food craving can be controlled with enough discipline. You think your craving and urges are bad? Go speak with a professional bodybuilder or fitness model right before a show. They have it MUCH worse and they best of them never stray from their course.

You're right... But I'm gonna guess that the best of them also don't have a dozen chocolate cup cakes in their fridge when prepping for competitions either. Practicing my will power at the store when I decide how much of what I can handle in my pantry/fridge/immediate vicinity based on how much resolve I'm feeling is NOT lazy. It's a sign of knowing my own limits and being able to manipulate my environment to work in my favor.

Absolutely, I 100% agree. My comment about willpower was not in reference to the whole "not buying a certain food" argument. just dieting and food addictions in general.

Oh.... Well.... I'm glad we understand eachother. :happy:
  • violenceandlace
    Options
    EXTREMELY LOUD CLAPPING!!!!!!!

^^^This.
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    Loved the sensa crystal line! Nice post! Thanks!
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    There is a bag of doritos in my cupboard right now. I love doritos. I haven't touched the bag in about 2 weeks. My husband has eaten some. This is simply proof to myself that I'm learning self control. Not saying I'm never going to eat doritos again though.
    Used to be a bag of chips would barely last 3 days. Glad to say that's not the case anymore.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

lol @ at the condescending yawning smiley face. Anyway, indeed.

Actually, I was concurring about the pointlessness of getting into a "slapping" match on the internet, which wasn't my original intent in the first place. I am sorry that I wasn't clearer. Just goes to show you that you only control what you mean, you don't control how anyone else understands. Goes for this entire post, as well. *smh*
  • misslibbyh
    misslibbyh Posts: 90 Member
    Options

You really can! it's a blast! But it doesn't just work on happy thoughts alone, you need a little fairy dust, remember??

Will Dorito dust work? I'm fresh out of fairies.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

I am a food addict, I don't understand moderation.

That's just an excuse, everyone understands moderation, you just have to say NO to yourself and see it through.
    It isn't easy, but it's not impossible if you keep trying.

WOW, just WOW. This is the kind of mindset that kills people. Please do some research into the neuropathways of addicts and their reward system and then tell me that moderation is possible for people.

I am an alcoholic, trust me, I do not want to be. I am physically incapable of drinking in moderation, and I tried for years. It is no different with people that are addicted to sex, gambling or drugs. Food addiction is worse because you must have food to live.

Please PLEASE keep this opinion to yourself next time someone tells you that they are addicted to something and you infer to them that it is an excuse. It really will not hurt you to keep that to yourself, but it could, indeed, hurt the addict.

Since you are incapable of moderation all other addicts must be the same. Sound logic

No, but it has been proven the mass majority are incapable. Addicts motto "Not even one"

Because one is just too many and a thousand is never enough.

Hey dear, you can try to talk sense into them until you are blue in the face, it will not work. There are actually people that believe this gibberish to be true. Maybe they are lying to themselves or simply are trying to force their will on others and believe they know it all so it must be true. Simple fact of the matter is, you know the truth and you are taking steps to help yourself. One thing I will tell you is, trying to argue this point is going to mess with YOUR serenity.

Dont sweat it. I feel bad for all the people that die every year because they believe this or someone else has convinced them that they can overcome addiction with willpower. But all we can do is all we can do. We walk the walk and if someone wants what we have, they will ask us how we did it.

Congrats to you for making the choice to get help with your addiction. Welcome to your new and wonderful life. :flowerforyou:
  • Hinxx
    Hinxx Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP a few weeks ago, I thought that my doom was gonna be my "chocolate addiction", specifically Ferrero chocolates. I used to have a jar or Nutella in my house and would eat almost half of it in one sitting, or if it was a pack of Rocher, I could eat the entire pack in one sitting. I knew I didn't want to do that so I stopped buying those things and changed to dark chocolate with no sugar (from another brand). It's definitely NOT the same but it did the trick whenever I wanted to eat chocolate. I allowed myself a very small portion of the dark chocolate a day and it had been working well until...

My bf bought me a pack of Rocher.

Can you guess what happened then?

NOTHING.

I looked at the pack and I thought it was gonna be my doom. It wasn't. I promised myself I would have self control and only eat one Rocher per day and that's what I've been doing. If I get more cravings, I eat the dark chocolate.

This has proven to me that it was indeed all in my head (about not being able to control myself with Ferrero chocolates). I'm really proud of myself for conquering that aspect. Now, while I have been able to do that (in my own way at my own pace), I really can't speak for anyone else and their addictions. I don't know if they're "real" or not and because of that, I respect the decisions they make to try and overcome them.

For me, I'd rather not have any sweets in the house (although I'm not a sweets lover anyway, it's more with chocolate) and I would only treat myself if I'm going out or if it's a special day. Now, I can't possibly tell if the people who feel bad for "eating a cupcake" do really have a certain addiction to that food, therefore, I try to keep these things to myself because it's not my battle to fight. I do believe that the mind is a powerful instrument and it should be given a lot more credit, but to each its own. People deal differently with their struggles. We can only cheer them on and hope that they can overcome whatever it is that's holding them back.

:heart: :smile:
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Of course Doritos are not meth. You don't go smoking a whole bag of meth all at once.

Wait, you don't? Dammit, I've been doing it ALL WRONG! :grumble:
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Will Dorito dust work? I'm fresh out of fairies.

O.O.... holy......crap.............
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Nicely done!!!

(WHAT? Doritos AREN"T METH??? LOL)
  • darcy2102
    darcy2102 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great Post!!

My meth...Sour Keys and Sour Skittles,,,,no sense in buying the small bag, I'll just have to buy two or three of them. But do I eat them every day (not any more)...If I want them, I have them and move on from them...We are in charge of our bodies, no one is tying you down to eat something...Eat it if you crave it and move past it.
  • MrsMeisner
    MrsMeisner Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I said "Being a binge eater, alcoholic, addict of anything, is something you can overcome, you just have to stop making excuses & work at it. "

Addictions cannot be overcome without willpower & over coming them is ENTIRELY willpower, maybe with help & a little push along the way (I never said on your own, help isn't a bad thing but you have to give your all!), but it is all your own willpower to not eat those foods, to not drink that drink, to not take those drugs.

I never said their addiction was an excuse, I said saying you don't understand moderation is an excuse, and it is, because if you say things like that you are going to believe it & end up trapped in your addiction.

I'm sure you're not as much as an expert as you're making yourself out to be either!
    [/quote]

In response to the above, from a recovering alcoholic:
    Addiction cannot be overcome PERIOD. It can be managed, but once an addict, always an addict. Willpower has absolutely nothing to do with addiction. If you don't believe me, ask a certified drug & alcohol counselor.

I've been sober for 3 years now. I'm not cured and never will be, nor am I "trapped in my addiction". I live a full, happy, sober life right now but I will never be able to drink like "normal" person, therefore I will always be an addict.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I believe that some foods may be trigger foods for some people and they should try and avoid them if possible. With that said you do still need to eat the foods you love in moderation or else you are relying on your will power all the time. No ones will power is 100% all the time.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    As in my thread earlier today..

I ate half a brownie batter donut..

I enjoyed that *kitten*.

So you still have half left? I'll be right over!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, and it's not even an educated one, but for me, it helps to know that there are no forbidden foods. I need to learn moderation, and the way my brain works, if I feel deprived, I will want that thing SO much. If I eat it, I am less likely to obsess. I have kids and a husband, so there's not really a way for me to completely keep all tempting foods out of the house, so I need to learn to deal.

For me, quitting smoking was much easier--I can totally avoid that with ease. Learning to have a healthy relationship with food and to be the boss of it (not the other way around) is tough!!
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I love some of the things you said... like not beating yourself up about a slip. BUT I do believe people can be addicted to overeating. That would be the main reason there is a self help group called Overeaters Annonymous. Do I think I am addicted to one food? NO. Do I think I'm addicted to the feeling I get when I binge eat? Yes. It's the dopamine the brain releases after such a binge. IT IS LIKE DOING METH.
    So yes, you pose a valid point. Do I agree with all of it? Nope. Thanks for a good read though! :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.