Doritos are not meth.

Options

Replies

• Adrini
    Adrini Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has been mentioned before but you can stop this.

I get salt and vinegar chips ( my meth) from time to time. When I get them home I put servings into bags and put the bags in the pantry. When I NEEDZ chips I grab a bag and thus have one serving. It works and I still loose weight. When I have a full bag in front of me....all bets are off.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

I am a food addict, I don't understand moderation.

That's just an excuse, everyone understands moderation, you just have to say NO to yourself and see it through.
    It isn't easy, but it's not impossible if you keep trying.

WOW, just WOW. This is the kind of mindset that kills people. Please do some research into the neuropathways of addicts and their reward system and then tell me that moderation is possible for people.

I am an alcoholic, trust me, I do not want to be. I am physically incapable of drinking in moderation, and I tried for years. It is no different with people that are addicted to sex, gambling or drugs. Food addiction is worse because you must have food to live.

Please PLEASE keep this opinion to yourself next time someone tells you that they are addicted to something and you infer to them that it is an excuse. It really will not hurt you to keep that to yourself, but it could, indeed, hurt the addict.
  • fatladysings72
    Options
    There are many people who are addicted to different kinds of food and just as any addiction it is mental. This is truly what the OP meant. It is the psychological feeling we get from using any substance as a replacement for comfort, destressing, sleeping or happiness. Food addiction exists and is harmful, but it can be conquered. It is mental. It is a retraining of our bodies to associate the old feeling we would have linked to that food or substance to the emotion we are trying to squelch or avoid. I like the phrase "changing the record". Just as conquering any habit or addiction, it is difficult, but possible. I LOVE the way she words this and I think that many people feel the same way. Those who know the foods they abuse, I would avoid them until you can sort out what is causing the abuse..ie.. the underlying emotional issue that causes you to turn to that food. When we can view that food for what it truly is... food, then reintroduce it into your diet if you choose to but in limited quantities, because as the OP said, potato chips, donuts, doritos, taco bell, cheeseburgers..do exist and they are delicious. And they are part of life for most people. That being said, I am tremedously encouraged by others who struggle with this and overcome it. But for me, what the OP said fits my life.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Great post. Except that Doritos are meth. I haven't bought them in years, because I know I can't stop eating them once the bag is open.

Buy a smaller bag
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

Dear, you are 19 years old.
    No matter what sense you may have posted following this, but you've lost any respect. And I know because I am older than you and there for wiser than you, that's the way things work, as you get older you get smarter... or not, age does not always wisdom Bring.
    Don't demean people who are younger than you, and I won't shoot your arguments full of holes.
    So Grow up, and prove your points without relying on hackneyed ageist arguments.

Amen.
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Clapping HARD!!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

That's just an excuse, everyone understands moderation, you just have to say NO to yourself and see it through.

WOW, just WOW. This is the kind of mindset that kills people. Please do some research into the neuropathways of addicts and their reward system and then tell me that moderation is possible for people.

I am an alcoholic, trust me, I do not want to be. I am physically incapable of drinking in moderation, and I tried for years. It is no different with people that are addicted to sex, gambling or drugs. Food addiction is worse because you must have food to live.

Please PLEASE keep this opinion to yourself next time someone tells you that they are addicted to something and you infer to them that it is an excuse. It really will not hurt you to keep that to yourself, but it could, indeed, hurt the addict.

PLEASE READ

I have had this argument before.

I'm sorry, but are you a psychiatrist? A medical doctor? If not, perhaps you should not try speaking with authority on topics you do not understand.

It's great that you can eat crap in moderation. Don't shame the people who cannot. It's just plain rude, and it makes you look like a jerk.

I'm sorry? I don't understand, really? I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt & lost the weight, so please, go on & tell me how I do not understand.
    No actually, I was saying it in a stern encouraging "it is possible, you can do it" way! No shaming intended.

It's nice to see that after a year MFP still has people who jump the gun & ride high horses.

Dear, you are 19 years old. You are not an expert. I congratulate you on your weight loss; that is no easy feat. It took a lot of effort and insight on your part, and for that, I applaud you.

Just remember that what is true or what works for you is NOT necessarily true for others. I notice you didn't quote or argue with the part of my post that said that food does actually act as a drug for some people, and therefore as an addiction, cannot be controlled with will power alone. You believe that self-knowledge and will power to eat in moderation should be enough for everyone, because they worked for you. That is incorrect.

Telling someone that their addiction is just an excuse most certainly IS shaming, regardless of your intentions. Would you tell an alcoholic that their addiction is just an excuse, and that they should be able to suck it up and have just one drink?

Some of us HAVE to completely refrain from eating certain foods. Period. We do what works for us. You do what works for you. We all lose weight. Yay!

Go back, I posted twice & seems you only saw the accidental post before I had done my proof read & edit.

I said "Being a binge eater, alcoholic, addict of anything, is something you can overcome, you just have to stop making excuses & work at it. "

Addictions cannot be overcome without willpower & over coming them is ENTIRELY willpower, maybe with help & a little push along the way (I never said on your own, help isn't a bad thing but you have to give your all!), but it is all your own willpower to not eat those foods, to not drink that drink, to not take those drugs.

I never said their addiction was an excuse, I said saying you don't understand moderation is an excuse, and it is, because if you say things like that you are going to believe it & end up trapped in your addiction.

I'm sure you're not as much as an expert as you're making yourself out to be either!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Since you are incapable of moderation all other addicts must be the same. Sound logic
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    For me, meth is like meth. If someone brings a bag in to work, I have to try some. Then I usually go through the whole bag.

And for the moderation argument, will power is the best way to deal. I can eat ONE desert, and maybe skip the whisky later. But I have weaknesses. Chips and queso is a huge one. I will eat them all. So, I don't get them. Once I get enough will power, we will be reunited. But until then, Tostitos, it's not you, it's me.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    GREAT POST!

Doritos have 30+ Chemicals in them......................and they are AWESOME!!................. tasting.............not for you.................but isn't that usually the case:sad:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Doritos are crack laced with meth!!

If only........ *sigh*
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    While your post is correct - it is only practical once you have a healthy relationship with food. Everyone has different triggers and are at different stages in their struggle to have a healthy relationship with food. Moderation works for some right from the start, others have to work through some issues with their 'drug' before they can incorporate it back into their diet.

But the whole point is that you should be practicing a healthy relationship with food.

You're not always going to get it right, but the more you practice, the better at it you will be. You can't restrict everything and then expect your food issues to be cured just because you reach your goal weight.

You are absolutely right, like I said - I agree with your post. I'm just saying that how you get to the point of being able to have a healthy relationship with food will be different for everyone. It's no different then people that stop smoking - some people just stop cold turkey, other's slowly decrease, other's use aids of somekind (gum, patch, etc). And there are mixed results with all methods - some will quit and never look back, some will 'only smoke when they drink', some don't last a week before smoking more then ever.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    They are prob worse than meth due to the corn (killed the Mayans), artificial dyes and MSG in them among other nasty things

Corn didn't kill the Mayans. Theories on how their empire collapsed range from an extended drought that happened during the medieval warming period to agricultural pestilence due to irrigation - Irrigation over long periods of time leads to sodium build up in the soil. But we really aren't sure.

In any case.. corn kills people/is worse than meth???? hang on a sec

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH HAH HA HAH AHH HA HA hA ha haaa. oh man that was a good one, keep them coming!!
  • misslibbyh
    misslibbyh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Abusive, indignant and rude. The entire thread makes me sick that people have ZERO compassion.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    "I don’t shiver and sob on my bathroom floor while rubbing Sensa crystals all over my body."

O em gee. The most dramatic sentence of all time. I seriously started laughing at work and tears welled up in my eyes. This sentence is sooooooo funny.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i like doritos.
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    Moderation is the key to most things in life..If you drink excessively, your bound to get a hangover along with other health issues down the road..If you eat fatty foods way more then you should. Your bound to gain weight and other health issues could spring up. If you sit on the couch every day after work. It's unlikely you'll be able to run a 7 minute mile. If you smoke a pack or two a day, well you get the idea..
  • jevoyager
    jevoyager Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    well hell, i didn't know i was supposed to be rubbing the Sensa on me. no wonder its not working... hmpf.

*goes back to munching on chocolate chip cookie while reading*
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Dear, you are 19 years old.
    No matter what sense you may have posted following this, but you've lost any respect. And I know because I am older than you and there for wiser than you, that's the way things work, as you get older you get smarter... or not, age does not always wisdom Bring.
    Don't demean people who are younger than you, and I won't shoot your arguments full of holes.
    So Grow up, and prove your points without relying on hackneyed ageist arguments.

Amen.

I wish I were 19 again, young, naive, and innocent. Those were the days....
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Only on MFP would a thread about not shaming yourself turn into "STOP SHAMING ME! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!" Le sigh. I have to go to work now, hopefully this thread isn't nuked before I get home so I can continue to read about how I don't understand what it's like to be fat. :wink:

I don't think the issue is that you don't understand what it's like to be fat. Many of us do, or we wouldn't be here. I think the issue is that instead of sharing what works for YOU, you said " food can not own or control us. We have power over our own minds. You are not addicted to chocolate. You are not addicted to carbs." The problem with this phrasing is that some people ARE addicted to certain foods.

Think of it this way: a heavy drinker can often learn to practice moderation and just drink a little bit now and then. This person is obviously not an alcoholic. An alcoholic who is a heavy drinker can NOT learn to drink in moderation. I can never have "just one drink." Because if I do, my brain chemistry changes in a way a non-alcoholic heavy drinker's brain does not. I will continue to drink long past the point I am sick or in danger. So I don't drink at all, and don't keep alcohol around. For many of us, chocolate or carbs, or gluten cause similar changes in brain chemistry.

Addiction is a serious issue, and I am glad you do not suffer from it. But thinking that because you don't means that nobody does is misguided. I appreciate that your post was meant to be motivational. I think that if you had preceded the comment I quoted above with the clause, "Unless you have a legitimate food addiction, " your responses would have been very different.
This discussion has been closed.