Doritos are not meth.

Options

Replies

• stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I'm popping in to just say....everyone is missing the point, but I knew they would.

I'm not saying I'm better than anyone or am mocking anyone, besides myself. I am not judging you. All I'm saying is, I have been there. I know the shame, I know the guilt, I know the vicious cycles. I know how lonely it can be when it feels like no one understands. I was just saying, that most of what we feel about fearing food or feeling addicted to it is in our mind. Changing your thinking will take you a lot farther than changing your diet. And no, I have not conquered it, I work on it each and every day.

I don't care if you think I'm a rude *****, because I am. But I really wasn't trying to be one in this post.

So you believe you have the same experiences as everyone else? We are all the same? And it really upsets you when people talk about food like it's a drug? Because they should act like you?

What did you expect posting something like that?

No, I am tired of people thinking they are a bad person for eating 1440 calories instead of 1400.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Only on MFP would a thread about not shaming yourself turn into "STOP SHAMING ME! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!" Le sigh. I have to go to work now, hopefully this thread isn't nuked before I get home so I can continue to read about how I don't understand what it's like to be fat. :wink:

I don't think the issue is that you don't understand what it's like to be fat. Many of us do, or we wouldn't be here. I think the issue is that instead of sharing what works for YOU, you said " food can not own or control us. We have power over our own minds. You are not addicted to chocolate. You are not addicted to carbs." The problem with this phrasing is that some people ARE addicted to certain foods.

Think of it this way: a heavy drinker can often learn to practice moderation and just drink a little bit now and then. This person is obviously not an alcoholic. An alcoholic who is a heavy drinker can NOT learn to drink in moderation. I can never have "just one drink." Because if I do, my brain chemistry changes in a way a non-alcoholic heavy drinker's brain does not. I will continue to drink long past the point I am sick or in danger. So I don't drink at all, and don't keep alcohol around. For many of us, chocolate or carbs, or gluten cause similar changes in brain chemistry.

Addiction is a serious issue, and I am glad you do not suffer from it. But thinking that because you don't means that nobody does is misguided. I appreciate that your post was meant to be motivational. I think that if you had preceded the comment I quoted above with the clause, "Unless you have a legitimate food addiction, " your responses would have been very different.

You either learn to control yourself or you don't. It's not a matter of "what works for some." It's a matter of working to improve your habits until you *can* control yourself.
  • misslibbyh
    misslibbyh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm popping in to just say....everyone is missing the point, but I knew they would.

I'm not saying I'm better than anyone or am mocking anyone, besides myself. I am not judging you. All I'm saying is, I have been there. I know the shame, I know the guilt, I know the vicious cycles. I know how lonely it can be when it feels like no one understands. I was just saying, that most of what we feel about fearing food or feeling addicted to it is in our mind. Changing your thinking will take you a lot farther than changing your diet. And no, I have not conquered it, I work on it each and every day.

I don't care if you think I'm a rude *****, because I am. But I really wasn't trying to be one in this post.

So you believe you have the same experiences as everyone else? We are all the same? And it really upsets you when people talk about food like it's a drug? Because they should act like you?

What did you expect posting something like that?

No, I am tired of people thinking they are a bad person for eating 1440 calories instead of 1400.

I see... But it sounded very insensitive. I personally feel sorry for people who suffer from any kind of addiction.
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I sat on my couch and crammed about 1500 calories into my mouth in 20 minutes.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    They are prob worse than meth due to the corn (killed the Mayans), artificial dyes and MSG in them among other nasty things

Corn didn't kill the Mayans. Theories on how their empire collapsed range from an extended drought that happened during the medieval warming period to agricultural pestilence due to irrigation - Irrigation over long periods of time leads to sodium build up in the soil. But we really aren't sure.

In any case.. corn kills people/is worse than meth???? hang on a sec

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH HAH HA HAH AHH HA HA hA ha haaa. oh man that was a good one, keep them coming!!

I will have to lol with you on this one. Really? Corn? MSG? are on the top of your dangerous consumables list?

I honestly cannot comprehend why anyone would think corn killed the Mayans. Corn isn't the problem, it's what has been done to corn that is the problem and the Mayans had no influence on that.
    And that is me leaving out the comparison of corn and meth, because that is just .... enough

I wonder what kills more people, meth overdoses or diseases of civilization? Hmmmm

That's an excellent point. It is actually pretty rare to die of a meth overdose. You would have to be shooting up massive quantities to die from it.
  • jiggy_gibby
    Options
    According to OP, it all boils down to "will power".... wow....
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    LMAO, okay, thanks for you and all of your 19 years on this earth for clarifying that for me.

BWHAHAHAAHAHAAHA

And trust me dear, I am much more of an expert than you think I am.

But now I shall get back to my regularly scheduled life and let you keep knowing everything like most teenagers do. :flowerforyou:

Wow. Look at you... putting down people for their age. Real classy- I automatically respect everything you say now! :yawn:
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    If someone is bringing cupcakes into your office and you don't want it...SEND IT TO ME!!!!
  • pocodonn
    Options
    Truth.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Umm. It does. Every food craving can be controlled with enough discipline. You think your craving and urges are bad? Go speak with a professional bodybuilder or fitness model right before a show. They have it MUCH worse and they best of them never stray from their course.
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    They are prob worse than meth due to the corn (killed the Mayans), artificial dyes and MSG in them among other nasty things

Corn didn't kill the Mayans. Theories on how their empire collapsed range from an extended drought that happened during the medieval warming period to agricultural pestilence due to irrigation - Irrigation over long periods of time leads to sodium build up in the soil. But we really aren't sure.

In any case.. corn kills people/is worse than meth???? hang on a sec

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH HAH HA HAH AHH HA HA hA ha haaa. oh man that was a good one, keep them coming!!

I will have to lol with you on this one. Really? Corn? MSG? are on the top of your dangerous consumables list?

I honestly cannot comprehend why anyone would think corn killed the Mayans. Corn isn't the problem, it's what has been done to corn that is the problem and the Mayans had no influence on that.
    And that is me leaving out the comparison of corn and meth, because that is just .... enough

I wonder what kills more people, meth overdoses or diseases of civilization? Hmmmm
    Obviously if you are talking wide scale destruction, it would be disease. But simply comparing how one reacts eating a bag of Doritos vs. having an addiction to meth, pretty sure meth is going to be a little more dangerous and life threatening.
  • WendyTapley
    Options
    I cannot tell you how much I ADORE you and your post! Brilliant and strikingly REAL!! KUDOS!!!
  • misslibbyh
    misslibbyh Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Right... and if you think happy thoughts you can fly. lol

She might be partially right... i mean... it does take quite a bit of willpower... but if people need to avoid certain foods in order to maintain willpower then it's a valuable tactic. I disagree with her approach in that sense. I understand how chemicals work in the brain so I know better. It takes time to overcome and people need to use whatever coping skills they have.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

Mmm..I was mostly trying to make the point that our mind is very strong. Saying "I can't control myself around sweets" is a great way to convince yourself you can't control yourself around sweets. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Also, to forgive yourself for mistakes. I binged the other night. I am not a worthless fat loser, I am someone who made a decision that they later regretted. I thought about it, and then moved on. I just want people to be nicer to themselves really.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Yup, wow indeed, doesn't she know that the #1 cause of people failing with their diets is being force fed against their will?
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    True! Oh man anything with chips, salt and seasoning are my weakness!!!!!!!! I really could binge on them all day and feel horrid but satisfied :) I don't keep em in house because they would be go-to food instead of goods. I know my limits ;)
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. We have folks at my work complain about what people bring in because they're "on a diet". I'm sorry, ever heard of self control - no one forces you to eat it. If I want it, I eat it, I log it, I move on. If I want to bring in a big ol' cake because it's MY birthday, then that's what I'm going to do. It's gotten ridiculous - folks feel obligated to bring in veggie and fruit trays plus sweets so they can satisfy everyone. Not me. I go to the day old rack, find what I can, stick in the freezer for a few days (to keep it fresh, LOLOLOL) and haul it out for my birthday.

That said, I'm in the early days of changing my life right now. I'm not on a diet, I'm trying to eat better, exercise and change my mind set about food. So, in order to do that, I'm keeping tempation out of the house. I figure if I want it so bad I'm willing to throw on the winter coat, hat, scarf, mitts, boots and jump in the car, warm it up and drive somewhere in the freezing cold to get it - then I must have really wanted it. So far, I haven't found myself tearing down the road, with my head stuck out the window because the windshield is frosted over, to the store with my nightgown caught in the door......

We make our own choices, people. If you make the choice to eat it, own it and move on. Tomorrow is another day.
  • islandbeauty81
    islandbeauty81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Now I want Cool Ranch Doritos...mmmm....

Love cool ranch Doritos.
  • jiggy_gibby
    Options

Umm. It does. Every food craving can be controlled with enough discipline. You think your craving and urges are bad? Go speak with a professional bodybuilder or fitness model right before a show. They have it MUCH worse and they best of them never stray from their course.

To say it all due to will power is ignoring biochemistry and psychological roots of addiction. Food addiction is real. I agree with some of what OP said (people should not freak out for going over their calorie goal on any given day), just not in manner in which she said the rest.
This discussion has been closed.