Doritos are not meth.

Options
1181920212224»

Replies

• mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    "The other day I ate an entire bag of tortilla chips and an entire jar of queso dip. And not throughout the day or at a casual social event. I sat on my couch and crammed about 1500 calories into my mouth in 20 minutes. Did I regret it afterwards? Of course I did. Do I now think I have a queso addiction and refuse to have it in my house? No. There is a bag of chips in my cupboard and a jar of dip in my fridge. I like to enjoy a serving of each some nights after work."

Sorry,but some of my patients at work say things like this^^^^^ every day....We call that Binge eating and it IS an Addiction.
    They also think that they have control.Some of them do for awhile...then they don't again.Its a crazy cycle.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I agree with you OP, but I also want to point out that there are people with medical issues that this doesn't apply to. For most people your post is spot on. I just hope that nobody believes that this is entirely a black and white issue.

Eating disorders are real, as I'm sure everyone already realizes, but they aren't all about anorexia and bulimia. Having no control over what you eat and binge eating to the point it is an eating disorder and it controls you is an illness. However, I'm not saying that this illness can't be overcome, but it takes time and a lot of work. For a period of time avoiding temptation helps those on the way to recovery, but you have to address the underlying issue too. I've been anorexic, bulimic, and a binge eater, diagnosed and all, in my teens. I overcame the anorexia and bulimia long before the binge eating. I still had a very strong impulse to binge eat into my 30's sometimes. In all honesty compulsive binge eating was harder to overcome than either anorexia or bulimia. Though losing weight scared the crap out of me, because I was afraid of relapse. It can be a slippery slope for some.

For people with issues with food addictions or eating disorders eating is very difficult to heal and learn healthy balance with food. Unlike with a meth addict who stops the drug entirely and can avoid contact with it, a food addict or someone trying to overcome an eating disorder still has to eat and be around food and learn to make good choices. They have to learn to do that in a way that makes sense to them and works for them. After all, their end goal is to have balance and health in their life like everyone else, but it can take different methods and a lot more time to get there.

Then there are those with food allergy and intolerance. These can fuel cravings, sometimes some pretty intense ones. Often people are avoiding foods that make them binge for the conscious reason that you don't think they have the will power to mange it, but really there is a biological reason behind the madness. When they stop the food the cravings go away and they never realize that something in those foods was screwing with their body. When they decide to splurge just once those cravings come back and they are hit again with those cravings, over do it, and feel terrible afterwards. They think that their feeling crummy is, because they ate the whole batch of cookies, and not because the ate a whole batch of cookies AND their body can't handle some of the ingredients in them. Then those cookies lead to more things like them and even more splurges as their body starts to crave it more and more. These people often swear that those first cookies were like a gate-way drug. Little do they know that if they cut out all the stuff are allergic to or can't tolerate for a while and THEN eat a cookie that doesn't have any of those things in them, they are able to control themselves just like anyone else. Just like you suggest in your post.

I had horrible cravings that I had to manage and I never felt full, well 90% of the time I never felt full. I lived that way most of my life, believing that something was wrong with that trigger in my brain that told me when I was full. Sort of like in people with Prader-Willi syndrome, but definitely NOT Prader-Willi syndrome. So I managed my cravings and fought with myself and kept myself in check by ignoring what my body was telling me, which was "Eat! Your Hungry!" Then after years of worsening GI symptoms, gaining 20 or more pounds in a week to a month several times with no food binging involved, and more I find out that I am allergic or intolerant to things I was eating at nearly every meal. I was forced then to cut them all out. Now I have that switch in my head that tells me I'm full and I don't have problems with impulse control. Suddenly my body wasn't screaming at me and calmed down and behaved like a normal person about food. True story and I'm loving it. Losing weight and changing my lifestyle was easy, compared to what it HAD been like, once I stopped poisoning myself at every meal. ;)

This ^^
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I would like to say that food has no control over me and agree with your post but unfortunately I have a huge binge eating disorder. I would love to be able to eat just one bagel, or maybe one cookie, or maybe just 1/2 cup ice cream and stop. Unfortunately I have not learned how to yet. That is my biggest pitfall and hopefully one day I can do so but for right now I don't carry "junk food" in my house, I avoid office bagels like the plague, and I run into stores just to avoid the smell of a chinese buffet.

I'm proud of you for being able to have self control. That is what a lot of us strive for.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Exceptionally written post. kudos.
  • eemcalister
    Options
    I don’t shiver and sob on my bathroom floor while rubbing Sensa crystals all over my body. I ate a cupcake, I didn’t hit someone with my car and keep driving, so why should I feel guilty?

I literally laughed out loud!!!! :laugh:
  • fatt_boyy_slimm
    Options
    bump
  • catherinefunck
    catherinefunck Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    very well said, excellent post. I love Doritos, they are my favorite chip!!!
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hey Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

When the community does not allow for objective responses the topic will become as a whole, divisive. When polarization of this kind happens topics will almost always be locked. The original poster has received a significant amount of feedback and the conversations can continue via personal messaging or within a group.

I want to take this opportunity to respectfully remind that folks that our community guidelines include:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Thank you for your understanding and help in keeping MFP a supportive, friendly community.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MFP Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.