Doritos are not meth.

Options

Replies

• LoseSyra
    LoseSyra Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    First Doritos are totally meth. Also, there certainly has been a lot written about carbs, both salty and sweet triggering sugar lows and thus cravings for more. I have no medical qualifications so please no responses on whether that last sentence was medically accurate.

That being said, I understand your point, about freaking out about a bad choice, but these boards give people an opportunity to vent. Don't read the posts if you see people freaking out about cravings, or what they did with the doritos. If people need to write a page about doritos, or cupcakes, let 'em, and I hope it helps with making their next bite a healthy one.
  • trishmce
    Options
    WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    From your general lack of knowledge by dismissing eating clean as "whatever that means" shows you just want to be skinny and not healthy. Look at your labels some time, see what you are putting in your body. I mean great, you think calories in and calories out is the only goal. The best you will ever be is somewhat thinner without getting more serious about nutrition. Go over your limit whatever but including junk in your diet is just that, junk. It isn't food, it is a food like product that does nothing for you.

What is eating clean then?

"When someone makes the choice to eat "clean" they are choosing to eliminate all processed foods and extra additives from their diet. Basically, you are choosing to eat whole, unrefined foods.

The basics of eating clean include - eating lots of fruits and vegetables. These are straight from nature - the idea is to stay away from anything that may have been altered in any way."

so in this case look at all that maltodextrin, monosodium glutamate (MSG), disodium inosinate and 10+ other additives.

MSG info-
    http://www.drgourmet.com/bites/2011/061511.shtml

These additives ARE bad. I don't think I'm better or raise my nose to people that eat them but shrugging it off like it isn't a problem is just dumb. Like I said, these aren't foods these are food like products. I could eat paper too but it sure as hell wouldn't be good for me, probably better than dorritos.
    I don't mean to even come off as one of these "better" people but when you read these studies it is hard to just accept that this is how are food is now and eat it.

What is going to do more for you and your hunger? A banana with 80-120 calories QUALITY carbs and fructose OR 1 serving of chips with 120-150 calories with no satiety and ingredient shown and proven to INCREASE your hunger rather than satisfy it.

Well from your diary, you're not doing a very good job of eating clean according to your definition at all. Practice what you preach bro

And as far as MSG goes, how is it different than naturally occurring glutamate found in things like broccoli and Parmesan cheese, metabolically speaking.
  • Scrimples
    Options
    You know what my #1 weight loss secret is?

This may shock a lot of people, so sit down.

I only care about my diet. Other people can do what they want or don't want to do. :)

If moderation or self control over food was something that was universal or everyone understood, we wouldn't all be a bunch of overweight people or formerly overweight people on a weight loss website talking about Doritos.

This!
  • jjuullzz
    jjuullzz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great post!! So very true!
  • dawnoftime77
    dawnoftime77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love this post! I REALLY needed to hear this today. Thank you!!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    OP, from a former binge eater to another, you are 100% right.

There is NOTHING greater than feeling like you finally have self control. Some people just aren't ready to put in the work to fix the real issues they have so they continue to make excuses.

Great post!
  • fallingaroundagain
    Options
    a lot of people are saying that "moderation is key." i totally agree with that but it's not always that simple. when i'm around chips or some similar type of really salty food i can easily eat 3/4 of a bag in about 20mins, even when i try and stop myself. it is mentally stressful when you exert will power.

also there a lot of people out there (myself included) that don't always see food rationally. if i eat a cupcake i literally feel like my stomach is expanding and when i look in the mirror after all i see is fat, but if someone puts one in front of me chances are i'm going to eat it and spend the entire day eating less, feeling terrible and trying to work it off. Things aren't always black and white, and it's not always that simple.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key.

Forner fatty checking in.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Mmm, Methritos. Sitting on a gold mine with this one...
  • hotjava9
    hotjava9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    From your general lack of knowledge by dismissing eating clean as "whatever that means" shows you just want to be skinny and not healthy. Look at your labels some time, see what you are putting in your body. I mean great, you think calories in and calories out is the only goal. The best you will ever be is somewhat thinner without getting more serious about nutrition. Go over your limit whatever but including junk in your diet is just that, junk. It isn't food, it is a food like product that does nothing for you.

"When someone makes the choice to eat "clean" they are choosing to eliminate all processed foods and extra additives from their diet. Basically, you are choosing to eat whole, unrefined foods.

The basics of eating clean include - eating lots of fruits and vegetables. These are straight from nature - the idea is to stay away from anything that may have been altered in any way."

so in this case look at all that maltodextrin, monosodium glutamate (MSG), disodium inosinate and 10+ other additives.

MSG info-

These additives ARE bad. I don't think I'm better or raise my nose to people that eat them but shrugging it off like it isn't a problem is just dumb. Like I said, these aren't foods these are food like products. I could eat paper too but it sure as hell wouldn't be good for me, probably better than dorritos.
    I don't mean to even come off as one of these "better" people but when you read these studies it is hard to just accept that this is how are food is now and eat it.

What is going to do more for you and your hunger? A banana with 80-120 calories QUALITY carbs and fructose OR 1 serving of chips with 120-150 calories with no satiety and ingredient shown and proven to INCREASE your hunger rather than satisfy it.

Well from your diary, you're not doing a very good job of eating clean according to your definition at all. Practice what you preach bro

And as far as MSG goes, how is it different than naturally occurring glutamate found in things like broccoli and Parmesan cheese, metabolically speaking.

Lol, what a joke. k
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Amen sister! I love chocolate and I refuse to give it up. Life would be sad if we deprived ourselves of eating things that make you feel good. I agree with you 100% and think this needed to be said! :smile:
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    So you are saying Doritos ARE meth? Psh, get over yourself. She just said eat however you want if it makes you happy.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

MSG info-

Lol, what a joke. k

My mistake, you spoke of reading studies, thought you might be able to clarify the difference. Also thought you might actually eat clean, but turns out you don't, your diet is super unclean
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

MSG info-

Might want to quit the protein powder then. It's processed. Your definition is invalid.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I have eliminated a couple foods from my diet that I find I just cannot exercise any kind of portion control with. And you know, I don't miss them. Largely because everything else is available to me. In moderation.

One day I hope to be able to eat Skittles, Starburst and potato chips in moderation, but until I can, I'm going to leave them out of the equation. And if I want a cupcake, I eat one. Ice cream? I eat it. All things in moderation.

Skittles and Starburst are no problem for me, because I cannot stand them! :D Chocolate on the other hand... but I have managed to tame the chocolate beast, too, because I can make healthy things with cocoa powder and just add a few measured chocolate chips to a recipe of black bean brownies, and portion them out with the calories counted. So it gets into me with a good dollop of fiber and the sugar counts are completely under control.

I still don't buy chocolate bars, but my mother/roomie does and I don't raid hers.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have eliminated a couple foods from my diet that I find I just cannot exercise any kind of portion control with. And you know, I don't miss them. Largely because everything else is available to me. In moderation.

One day I hope to be able to eat Skittles, Starburst and potato chips in moderation, but until I can, I'm going to leave them out of the equation. And if I want a cupcake, I eat one. Ice cream? I eat it. All things in moderation.

Skittles and Starburst are no problem for me, because I cannot stand them! :D Chocolate on the other hand... but I have managed to tame the chocolate beast, too, because I can make healthy things with cocoa powder and just add a few measured chocolate chips to a recipe of black bean brownies, and portion them out with the calories counted. So it gets into me with a good dollop of fiber and the sugar counts are completely under control.

I still don't buy chocolate bars, but my mother/roomie does and I don't raid hers.
    Excellent post!

I don't eat natural peanut butter, cause I just can't stop. Is it due to some chemical in my brain? Nah, it cause because it's sex in a jar and I can't help it.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    OP, I just want to say thank you for posting this. I guess I'm one of those weird people with "willpower" and self control though. It's a shame that a post focusing on hard work and self control resulted in a thread full of excuses and whining. But this is MFP. My hat is off to you.

:drinker:

Ahh, a discussion on the topic of food addict and how it plays into the obesity epidemic is a "thread of excuses and whining." I feel blessed that I don't have a food addiction, but that doesn't mean I dismiss or discount or mock it.

But since we're in a mocking mood...it's too bad so many people don't have the willpower and self control to not post profile pics of their non-existent abs.

Have a nice day,

I find it interesting that attacking and hijacking a quality post about self control with multiple claims of food addiction is okay in your mind. Sure there are people with eating disorders, but you really think that's the crux of most people's problems, both in general and on MFP, that they're addicted to food? If everyone who claimed to be "addicted" to food was really addicted then things like MFP, where you are expected to count calories and use self control, wouldn't work. These addicted people would instead require treatment which MFP clearly does not provide. I doubt you will find many meth addicts who decided to "cut back" a little and then became healthy meth users.

And, at the same, time you find it perfectly acceptable to personally attack me. But I guess that's also okay because it's about defending your position, right? And personal attacks are allowed on MFP? Wait, no they are not. Perhaps you should read the forum guidelines. Oh, not that it's any of your business, but I'm actually gaining weight right now and I couldn't care less about how my abs show or what you personally think of me. Nor are my abs or what you personally think of me relevant to this thread.

If you don't like what the OP has to say, then don't post here, or engage in debate according to the MFP guidelines.

And thank you, you also have a nice day.
  • Scrimples
    Options
    I agree with you OP, but I also want to point out that there are people with medical issues that this doesn't apply to. For most people your post is spot on. I just hope that nobody believes that this is entirely a black and white issue.

Eating disorders are real, as I'm sure everyone already realizes, but they aren't all about anorexia and bulimia. Having no control over what you eat and binge eating to the point it is an eating disorder and it controls you is an illness. However, I'm not saying that this illness can't be overcome, but it takes time and a lot of work. For a period of time avoiding temptation helps those on the way to recovery, but you have to address the underlying issue too. I've been anorexic, bulimic, and a binge eater, diagnosed and all, in my teens. I overcame the anorexia and bulimia long before the binge eating. I still had a very strong impulse to binge eat into my 30's sometimes. In all honesty compulsive binge eating was harder to overcome than either anorexia or bulimia. Though losing weight scared the crap out of me, because I was afraid of relapse. It can be a slippery slope for some.

For people with issues with food addictions or eating disorders eating is very difficult to heal and learn healthy balance with food. Unlike with a meth addict who stops the drug entirely and can avoid contact with it, a food addict or someone trying to overcome an eating disorder still has to eat and be around food and learn to make good choices. They have to learn to do that in a way that makes sense to them and works for them. After all, their end goal is to have balance and health in their life like everyone else, but it can take different methods and a lot more time to get there.

Then there are those with food allergy and intolerance. These can fuel cravings, sometimes some pretty intense ones. Often people are avoiding foods that make them binge for the conscious reason that you don't think they have the will power to mange it, but really there is a biological reason behind the madness. When they stop the food the cravings go away and they never realize that something in those foods was screwing with their body. When they decide to splurge just once those cravings come back and they are hit again with those cravings, over do it, and feel terrible afterwards. They think that their feeling crummy is, because they ate the whole batch of cookies, and not because the ate a whole batch of cookies AND their body can't handle some of the ingredients in them. Then those cookies lead to more things like them and even more splurges as their body starts to crave it more and more. These people often swear that those first cookies were like a gate-way drug. Little do they know that if they cut out all the stuff are allergic to or can't tolerate for a while and THEN eat a cookie that doesn't have any of those things in them, they are able to control themselves just like anyone else. Just like you suggest in your post.

I had horrible cravings that I had to manage and I never felt full, well 90% of the time I never felt full. I lived that way most of my life, believing that something was wrong with that trigger in my brain that told me when I was full. Sort of like in people with Prader-Willi syndrome, but definitely NOT Prader-Willi syndrome. So I managed my cravings and fought with myself and kept myself in check by ignoring what my body was telling me, which was "Eat! Your Hungry!" Then after years of worsening GI symptoms, gaining 20 or more pounds in a week to a month several times with no food binging involved, and more I find out that I am allergic or intolerant to things I was eating at nearly every meal. I was forced then to cut them all out. Now I have that switch in my head that tells me I'm full and I don't have problems with impulse control. Suddenly my body wasn't screaming at me and calmed down and behaved like a normal person about food. True story and I'm loving it. Losing weight and changing my lifestyle was easy, compared to what it HAD been like, once I stopped poisoning myself at every meal. ;)
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I didn't finish reading the OPs entire post but I just want to say that they actually incorporate minimal amounts crystal meth and crack cocaine in the cheese powder which is why Doritos are addictive. Google it!
This discussion has been closed.