Replies

• vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I prefer to think of myself as "obeast."
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options

I'm currently 313 pounds, and I'm here to say that fat people don't have exclusive rights to body image issues.

I agree. Like I said, I've never met a person that hasn't said anything negative about themselves. Whether you're 100 pounds or 300 pounds. We all say things (or have said things) to ourselves that are hurtful. We ALL do it. The point of this was to challenge you not to. If its not about being fat its about something else. Everyone has their own issues.

That was directed less at your original post and more at some of the other posters' feelings towards thinner people daring to have self-image issues.
  • trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Fat is just an adjective. Like tall, or short, or thin or blue or smooth. We (individually and in society) choose whether or not to give it a negative connotation. And clearly, we have done so.

When we are raised to believe that fat equals lazy/worthless/unmotivated//unloveable...that's when the shame/embarassment/fear sets in.

I'm fat. But I'm also beautiful and smart and funny and worthy of being loved just as I am.

:flowerforyou:

This. I am fat. I have over 100 pounds left to lose. I'm sorry if it offends you, but at 277 pounds fat IS a description of myself. It doesn't change who I am as a person.

What word do you think I should use to describe myself? I may have a larger frame, but the extra 100 pounds isn't a result of my being "big-boned." I've never quite understood people who describe themselves as "fluffy." Overweight isn't sufficient to describe how much weight I have to lose. I suppose I could refer to myself as obese, but honestly, I just prefer to say fat.

^^^ agreed when I was over 200 lbs I called my self fat... It was exactly that I was FAT... I had so much extra fat it needed to be gone. I dont know that I could call my self anything else other than MORBIDLY OBESE maybe, that is a way to describe my self I guess.. but its just easier to say FAT... . I know I should think better of my self maybe but I dont sugar coat it fat on me is just that fat... ;)
  • trchristy
    Options
    I am fat. Reality.

I will not always be fat. Also reality.

ha ha awesome way to put it ..... well done :happy:
  • trchristy
    Options
    I prefer to think of myself as "obeast."

ha ha I should use that some time.. :)
  • richesandwonders
    richesandwonders Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Fat is a description.
    I'm am a woman with brown hair, brown eyes, and I'm fat. I'm also pretty, fun, intelligent, but I'm still in a fat body. They aren't mutually exclusive.

When we stop using fat like a dirty word which implies so many more negative things like lazy/dirty/bad/unworthy of love then people will stop using it as an insult. Fat is just a way of existing in your body.

Fat has become a short hand for people who really are saying they feel like they are lazy/didn't work hard enough/feel bad/shameful/ or a litany of other negative things, because saying that you "feel fat" is much easier than trying to really quantify a lot of negative thoughts and emotions. It's part of our culture and our shared language.

"Fat" isn't a bad word. People just use it in that context which only makes it harder for the people who do exist in a fat state to not feel like they are the most vile thing on the planet.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I am phat. Does that count?
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I have called myself fat and now refer to myself as "chunky". :tongue:
    I also have a difficult time accepting a compliment. I am working on that, and just graciously saying "thank you" .
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I am phat. Does that count?

hahhaha Nope! That doesn't count! Call yourself PHAT all you want babe! :drinker:
  • angelams1019
    Options
    It is very difficult to have good intentions on this site. But that won't ruin my experience. I'll go continue to live my life "in denial" and continue my journey to lose 150 pounds. Only 86 more to go!

Next time, try pulling the message out of a motivating post. Not everything situation is going to always relate to you literally. That doesn't mean there isn't anything to learn from it. Try looking deeper into the meaning.

If none of it applies, thats fine too. This is the internet. Take what you need and leave the rest behind.

Have a great day!! Enjoy! :drinker:
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I am fat. I know it and putting "lipstick on a pig" doesn't change it. If I want to change myself, I need to acknowledge that my weight is unacceptable. This does not equate to not loving myself or putting myself down. Quite the opposite I am doing this BECAUSE I love myself.

For years I denied that I was "that big" and just lived like that.

And slowly but surely the weight crept up.

I refuse to sugarcoat my situation. I am still attractive (to my husband) and that's all that matters. I want to be at a healthy BMI and I'm not.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    People make it very difficult to have good intentions on this site. But that won't ruin my experience. I'll go continue to live my life "in denial" and continue my journey to lose 150 pounds. Only 86 more to go!

i understand what you are going for. I just don't think that the word can have all the power.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Fat is just an adjective. Like tall, or short, or thin or blue or smooth. We (individually and in society) choose whether or not to give it a negative connotation. And clearly, we have done so.

When we are raised to believe that fat equals lazy/worthless/unmotivated//unloveable...that's when the shame/embarassment/fear sets in.

I'm fat. But I'm also beautiful and smart and funny and worthy of being loved just as I am.

:flowerforyou:

When I say "fat" I mean "obese", "Overweight" in clinical terms. Maybe calling yourself fat or others fat is a slang term. Nobody wants to hear it but we know who we are. I don't say it to be mean. Not as in "fat pig". And I know that for myself I was "fat". 40% body weight measured as fat is unhealthy and I was obese. Over the years I didn't try very hard to lose the weight. I think I expected miracles overnight. I became Lazy. I was too lazy to do the work. I didn't even want to walk. I knew that it would take a lot of effort and dedication and I was too "lazy" to do the work because it was hard. I was afraid of the hard work ahead. I wasn't stupid. I knew what to do but I was lazy.

I call those statements factual. I was fat and lazy. I was also sad and miserable waiting for a miracle to happen that never came. I had to become my own miracle. I had to come up with my own plan of attack and I did. I did the work and I lost the weight. Now 70 pounds later I still have extra fat on me and too much of it but my scale now says 26% fat. I am no longer "fat" but I do have a lot of fat on me that I am again too lazy to organize my time properly to come up with a solid weight training program and follow through on a daily basis. Back to being lazy about that.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself as being fat, I consider myself a lazy person with a sweet tooth trying to eat healthier and get more active. Positive thinking helps to get me on the right track. Negative thinking just brings on stress which brings on stress-eating which brings on weight. Who needs that? I prefer having a "think thin" attitude. :)
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Why not replace all of those negative things you're saying to yourself with positive things? I think a lot of people will find they feel a lot better emotionally when they start treating themselves with kindness. :flowerforyou:

People SHOULD be just as nice to themselves as they are to everyone else.

However, lying about your size to make yourself feel better does not help anyone. I'm glad for the day I realized that, in the eyes of other people, I was FAT. It helped motivate me to GET IN SHAPE.

You don't have to be mean to yourrself to acknowlege that you need to improve.
  • trchristy
    Options
    It is very difficult to have good intentions on this site. But that won't ruin my experience. I'll go continue to live my life "in denial" and continue my journey to lose 150 pounds. Only 86 more to go!

Next time, try pulling the message out of a motivating post. Not everything situation is going to always relate to you literally. That doesn't mean there isn't anything to learn from it. Try looking deeper into the meaning.

If none of it applies, thats fine too. This is the internet. Take what you need and leave the rest behind.

with this site there are a lot of passionate people, your self included and when you have a post and there could be mixed interpretations or opinions it is what it is, a discussion of how everyone feels. Dont take it personally, you have a great way of thinking and I understand where you were coming from. Thank you for the discussion and the post... It made me think of a few things and how I might come across at times.
  • Otter1422
    Otter1422 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree with the be kinder to yourself part or your post but I also believe in being honest with myself. I am fat, very fat and have been for a long time with varying degrees of desire to do something about it. I now have a resolute need and conviction to do something about it and I am very comfortable confronting my fatness. So for me that works and I do not feel I am being unkind to myself just honest. I am comfortable with the belief that this is the fattest I will ever be and I am not going back to the 290LB I used to be. If people are just confronting who they are I think the word fat is fine just like someone already said it is just an adjective but if people are using it as a whip to flog themselves or keep themselves down, to tell themselves they are not worthy that is no good at all. For me that is not the case.
  • angelams1019
    Options
    Why not replace all of those negative things you're saying to yourself with positive things? I think a lot of people will find they feel a lot better emotionally when they start treating themselves with kindness. :flowerforyou:

People SHOULD be just as nice to themselves as they are to everyone else.

However, lying about your size to make yourself feel better does not help anyone. I'm glad for the day I realized that, in the eyes of other people, I was FAT. It helped motivate me to GET IN SHAPE.

You don't have to be mean to yourrself to acknowlege that you need to improve.
    with this site there are a lot of passionate people, your self included and when you have a post and there could be mixed interpretations or opinions it is what it is, a discussion of how everyone feels. Dont take it personally, you have a great way of thinking and I understand where you were coming from. Thank you for the discussion and the post... It made me think of a few things and how I might come across at times.
    [/quote]

lol There was never any talk about "lying" to yourself or not being realistic. I even stated in the original post that its fine to recognize need for improvement. If I was all for "lying" to yourself, I would still be 324 pounds, so I'm not really sure what your point is.

And I definitely don't take anything said on here personally. Its completely fine for people to disagree with what I have to say. It can be a little frustrating at times when people COMPLETELY miss the point...But I just have to remind myself that not everyone thinks the same. I think if we stop constantly trying to prove our point and actually try to learn something from what people have to say we could benefit from this place even more than we do now. But I definitely can't blame them....I like to get my point across as much as the next person.

Its all good! :flowerforyou:
  • angelams1019
    Options
    I agree with the be kinder to yourself part or your post but I also believe in being honest with myself. I am fat, very fat and have been for a long time with varying degrees of desire to do something about it. I now have a resolute need and conviction to do something about it and I am very comfortable confronting my fatness. So for me that works and I do not feel I am being unkind to myself just honest. I am comfortable with the belief that this is the fattest I will ever be and I am not going back to the 290LB I used to be. If people are just confronting who they are I think the word fat is fine just like someone already said it is just an adjective but if people are using it as a whip to flog themselves or keep themselves down, to tell themselves they are not worthy that is no good at all. For me that is not the case.

That is the audience this post was SPECIFICALLY directed towards. I understand that thats not ALL people. But that WAS me. And I know I'm not the only one. They were the reason for this post.
  • thefatchic
    thefatchic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fat is just a word to me. You know what makes me mad? The stigma that fat is bad. My name is thefatchic and I used to have on my car a decal that said fat chicks rule. Fat is just a word. I am fat. Sometimes I say it in a positive light sometimes not. Fat doesn't always have a negative connotation.