Waitress fired for posting this online

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    IMO, in every job there's a negative. Being a server, you're bound to get someone NOT to tip you appropriately. I'm sure it's happened more than once. Bad judgement for posting it online. I don't think that employer was out of bounds.

Personally, unless the service was horrible or it's a pick up order, I always tip 20%.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    IMO, in every job there's a negative. Being a server, you're bound to get someone NOT to tip you appropriately. I'm sure it's happened more than once. Bad judgement for posting it online. I don't think that employer was out of bounds.

Personally, unless the service was horrible or it's a pick up order, I always tip 20%.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I don't think it was about the tip. It was about the retarded *kitten* comment she decided to scribble on the receipt. I doubt that's the first time that waitress ever got stiffed on a bill.
  • kelbax22
    kelbax22 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So sad. Hope God sees how his worshiper child treats his other children!

Ha, just more proof that most religious people end up being so hypocritical. Never going to church or taking my children there either. I want them to have real morals.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    Options
    The pastor had a goal...hurt the waitress in the only way she could. Which was to leave no money. That sort of maliciousness should be made public.
    If a waitress felt that you were rude to her, and wasn't satisfied with your tip, would you mind having your name and her complaint posted publicly?

If you owned a business that did that kind of thing, would you expect to stay in business very long? Who would go there?
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    Options
    Ha, just more proof that most religious people end up being so hypocritical.
    Excellent generalization! :drinker:
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Aww - she's sorry! How sweet (not). And the 10% she gives God? Seems it goes into her own church that she owns and runs. Hmmmm.....

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/tipping-pastor-apologizes-687234
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    what gets me is that the 18% is for a party of 8 or more. Even if it was only 8 people....$34.93 was too much for them? sheesh

It was 20 people and they split the checks in an attempt to skirt the auto-tip even though only one person was paying.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I don't think it was about the tip. It was about the retarded *kitten* comment she decided to scribble on the receipt. I doubt that's the first time that waitress ever got stiffed on a bill.
    Do you think the server would have posted it if they got say 15% in tip?

IDEA Fitness member
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Aww - she's sorry! How sweet (not). And the 10% she gives God? Seems it goes into her own church that she owns and runs. Hmmmm.....

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/tipping-pastor-apologizes-687234

The best part of that article is in the comments below it. This sums up the situation nicely: "Did she feel bad after she stiffed the server? No. Did she feel bad after she complained and got the server fired? No. Did she feel bad after she got outed for being a turd? Yes."
  • coderedjulia
    Options
    She posted this online, don't know the story but when did resteraunts spy on people online? I know my manager got offended when I wouldn't use my facebook to like their resteraunt mainly cause for one thing not everyone uses facebook and another things my facebook is seperate from my work. It is none of their business what I say outside of work, as long as I am not saying it to other customers or employees at the work area.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Do you think the server would have posted it if they got say 15% in tip?

IDEA Fitness member

The server who waited the table didn't post it according to the article. A friend of her's who was also a server there photographed it and posted, so I am sure it would have been done either way, given the nature of the comment written on the receipt.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    i wish there was a website

that customer service employees could upload pictures like this, snapshots of faces, descriptions of horrible customers

all kinds of privacy infringement, i know, but publicly abusing service professionals is much too popular of a pasttime

so public shaming should be happening in turn
    as for getting fired,
    yeah, it sucks but
    less-than-minimum wage and minimum wage jobs are a dime a dozen
    since it takes having 2 or 3 of those suckers crammed into a person's schedule
    just to survive
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    Options
    She posted this online, don't know the story but when did resteraunts spy on people online? I know my manager got offended when I wouldn't use my facebook to like their resteraunt mainly cause for one thing not everyone uses facebook...
    The restaurant did not "spy" on the employee. The photo went viral, and folks began posting it all over the place, until the restaurant caught wind of it.
    ...and another things my facebook is seperate from my work. It is none of their business what I say outside of work, as long as I am not saying it to other customers or employees at the work area.
    What happens at work should stay at work, to a degree. Most companies now have policies to assure that this is the case. It is important to prevent the loss of sensitive information. It is also important to avoid having dimwit employees appear to represent the company, and potentially make them look bad... like the case we're discussing here.
  • susantrigg18
    Options
    Can anyone clarify for me? what is the appropriate amount to tip for different services in the US?
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Can anyone clarify for me? what is the appropriate amount to tip for different services in the US?

Standard is 15-20%
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

10-15% is generally considered the bare minimum, but I base it entirely off of service. That said, assuming good service, I never leave anything under $10, I don't care if I had a $6 bill.
  • Jorra
    Options
    i wish there was a website

that customer service employees could upload pictures like this, snapshots of faces, descriptions of horrible customers

all kinds of privacy infringement, i know, but publicly abusing service professionals is much too popular of a pasttime

so public shaming should be happening in turn

Not quite public shaming, but venting abounds at http://notalwaysright.com/
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Just watched a vid on the story. The pastor said that the tip still came off her credit card, AND she left $6 on the table.

She must have just been pissed at seeing the 18% auto-gratuity along with a space to leave another tip, I guess? That auto 18% would not happen for a solo diner at any Applebees here (in Canada), but I digress. Bad judgement calls on both sides, and yeah the server should know better than to put anything work-related with names intact online like that.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Just watched a vid on the story. The pastor said that the tip still came off her credit card, AND she left $6 on the table.

Yeah, I heard that too...the difference is that I don't believe it for a second, given what she wrote on that receipt. So, she stiffs servers, AND she's a liar. Bravo Pastor...shall we try for the trifecta?
  • Jorra
    Options

She must have just been pissed at seeing the 18% auto-gratuity along with a space to leave another tip, I guess? That auto 18% would not happen for a solo diner at any Applebees here (in Canada), but I digress. Bad judgement calls on both sides, and yeah the server should know better than to put anything work-related like that with names intact online like that.

True that it came off her card, but she didn't think it would seeing as she crossed it out and ignored that in the total she wrote down. Also, even if she actually left $6 cash, that's nowhere near adequate for a table of 20 guests. The receipt in the image only shows $34 because they split the checks trying to avoid the gratuity.