Waitress fired for posting this online

Options

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that I also can not stand automatic tips because I think some servers don't deserve it.

This. Tipping is optional and should be based on the service.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Is the diner (pastor or not, christian or not) a cheap jerk? yes. no one is debating that.

can you publicly expose your customers as cheap jerks and not expect repercussions? of course not.

there was a story when peyton manning was visiting teams when he was a free agent last summer. he went to a prominent steakhouse in denver and left a very generous tip. waiter uploaded it to twitter, saying how nice peyton was. WAITER GOT FIRED. and he should. you don't put your customer's business in the streets.

I'll post the receipt. a big tip was already included in the bill, but peyton dropped 2 bills on top. nice guy. but that's his private biz. and for lot of people being known as being very generous is worse than being known as a cheapskate. either way, FIRED

peyton-manning-check-30637712_17215_ver10_320_240_zpsf8803a11.jpg

edited to add correction: I had heard the story happened in denver, but i read now that it was north carolina

I had a job as a waitress in a very nice upscale place in college, and this kind of behavior is a huge no-no especially if the restaurant regularly gets big-name clients. Indiscretion is bad for business.

Waitstaff wasn't even allowed to bring cameras or phones or any recording devices into work. If you got caught with it, you were fired.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    i wish there was a website

that customer service employees could upload pictures like this, snapshots of faces, descriptions of horrible customers

all kinds of privacy infringement, i know, but publicly abusing service professionals is much too popular of a pasttime

so public shaming should be happening in turn

There was a website called www.bitterwaitress.com, that had all kinds of service industry posts.
    It's gone now though and it reroutes to a facebook page. I looked around and didn't see any stories yet. It looks like it's new.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest, the only way I would ever do this is if I received terrible service and didn't feel that the server deserved the 18%. I'm sorry that servers make minimum wage (There is no way that they earn less, that's why it's called "minimum wage". Hence the term "minimum" wage.) if that doesn't work for them and they can't provide the customer service required to earn a decent tip then they should go to school and/or get a different job. Just sayin.

That being said, I think it was irrelevant for the customer to state that she only "gives God 10%". What does that have to do with the price of tea in China???

Waiters don't earn minimum wage. They get about 2.50 an hour. The rest is supposed to come from tips.
    Sometimes they might do really well, sometimes they can be there all night or day and make nothing.
  • roolmc
    roolmc Posts: 47
    Options
    In the context of tipping custom in the US I think the client was being an *kitten*, but I also think paying waiting staff $2.50 is a joke. As the employee I wouldn't have publicly posted it, as the employer I'm not sure what I would do. Probably just reprimand the employee and leave it at that, unless it was not a first time offence.

In the UK the minimum wage is £6.19 ($9.83) per hour and restaurants cannot pay less and use tips to top it up. So tipping culture is very different here. That said I still tip about 10% if the service is good. But, if it's been automatically added to my bill and I'm paying by card I'll ask to have it removed and then leave a cash tip so that is goes into the right hands.

- https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
    - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7533863.stm
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest, the only way I would ever do this is if I received terrible service and didn't feel that the server deserved the 18%. I'm sorry that servers make minimum wage (There is no way that they earn less, that's why it's called "minimum wage". Hence the term "minimum" wage.) if that doesn't work for them and they can't provide the customer service required to earn a decent tip then they should go to school and/or get a different job. Just sayin.

That being said, I think it was irrelevant for the customer to state that she only "gives God 10%". What does that have to do with the price of tea in China???
    I know in some places, people simply break the law by paying the waiters less than minimum, because "they get tips". Of course the waiters who cooperate with this are to blame too, but I guess some of them are just uninformed.
    There is no law-breaking. The minimum wage legally set for servers is much less than the minimum wage for everyone else.

I think the pastor is a jerk and if I went to her church, I would stop. I also think Applebees was within its rights to fire the waitress. I don't ever eat there, anyway. The food is awful.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    If the pastor doesn't want to be embarrassed for being a jerk, then the solution is to not be a jerk. I find it insane that she signed her name to blatant disrespect and then feels injured that people know she behaves this way. Set tips for large parties is pretty standard and posted on menus. Besides writing rude remarks, cheating the waitress of her money and complaining when her behavior is made public, she should also understand tithing is not God's tip.

I will never go to Applebees or IHOP ever again. When a company fires someone because they think a customer deserves privacy when being insulting to their staff, I'm glad that there are so many better options than DineEquity, the gutless owner of these two restaurant chains.

If I behave like an *kitten* and pay the cost for it, I don't blame the person who exposed it, I blame the person who behaves that way, me.
  • consumone
    consumone Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I get the whole privacy thing, but dude okay Paster - you took the largest table, you had a tab of $34.00 and you spent what 2 hours - HELLO that is her livelyhood.

Jerk is all I have to say and I am sorry that the waitress got fired.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    It's always been my opinion that if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat at a restaurant.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I find what the 'pastor' did her to be absolutely disgusting. I think she should have made sure the signature wasn't visible when posting. This is actually the first picture of it where I saw the signature. Everywhere else it was cut off.

That woman is no Christian and no 'pastor'.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    IMO, in every job there's a negative. Being a server, you're bound to get someone NOT to tip you appropriately. I'm sure it's happened more than once. Bad judgement for posting it online. I don't think that employer was out of bounds.

Personally, unless the service was horrible or it's a pick up order, I always tip 20%.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I don't think it was about the tip. It was about the retarded *kitten* comment she decided to scribble on the receipt. I doubt that's the first time that waitress ever got stiffed on a bill.
    Do you think the server would have posted it if they got say 15% in tip?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yes I do think the server would post. From what I understand, the server that posted this was not the server that waited on that table, it was another waitress. The horrible comments you can get when working in restaurants is much worse than the horrible tips you can get in a restaurant!!!
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    For the blatant privacy issue - yes. Text that to your friends but don't blast someone's name online.

The total was 30 before tip. Tip was only 6 something. He left her ZERO. I'm betting he was a real pleasure to serve too. *eyeroll*

why not post it online?
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It's always been my opinion that if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat at a restaurant.

hear hear
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure it says in the bible to be good to each other, not stiff people in the service industry. I worked in as a server, the deserve every penny they get if they are good at their job.

No I would not have fired her but it is the choice of the company.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    A Pastor, and he didn't tip a cent? Not very "Christian" of him.
  • mommamills
    Options
    Having been a waitress myself, my answer to that EXTREMELY rude pastor's comment would be:

a) You could give God more than 10% if you wanted...it has nothing to do with me how much you choose to give or not give.
    b) Tips are part of my wages. I make $2.40 an hour. Not tipping is causing me to make less than minimum wage.

These were my thoughts exactly! You can give whatever you choose to God...10% is Biblical. But it's not an issue of God needing the money! God needs NOTHING from us. It's an obedience issue there. As with the waitress....it's her job! You are paying her for her work. To tip nothing.....just not Christian like to me and upsetting to see this kind of behavior from a "spiritual leader" in the community. :(
  • SaraRhiannon421
    SaraRhiannon421 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My question is, why, as a pastor, are you only giving God 10%?! And how can you compare the two? As a pastor, you should want to help others, and tip well!
  • gabby365
    gabby365 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

peyton-manning-check-30637712_17215_ver10_320_240_zpsf8803a11.jpg

I love Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. They are both class acts!