Can i eat anything as long as I stay under calorie goal?!?!

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify something. I am studying to become a Registered Dietician now, so I am not giving advice with no background, just to make sure I don't seem naggy. Yes, it is okay to eat what you love. I enjoy food and have a lot of trouble controlling my diet, so I understand what it is like to crave certain types of food. Yes, you can eat McDonalds or even live on McDonalds and still lose weight. However, I have to disagree with the previous poster in a way. You will NOT be as healthy as if you ate fresh foods and kept all other parts of your lifestyle the same. Meaning, if you work out 1 hr a day, keep your health the same (drink/don't drink, etc) and were to decide between McDonalds & cookies everyday OR fresh fruits, vegetables & pasta, you would find a difference on your overall health and possibly, not surely, but possibly your life span. Many chain/fast food restaurants contain GMO's and unhealthy additives. Small choices in your diet can affect it more than you know. For example, eating margarine everyday will have different impacts than eating butter everyday. Some argue that this depends most on the trans fats (whichever has less is better) because some fats are worse than others. Some other people will argue that even if butter has more trans fat, it is better because it doesn't contain the unnatural ingredients found in a lot of margarine, which can be hard on the digestive track since they are not as natural. While McDonalds won't likely cause you to stay overweight if you eat your calories, it may have other negative effects on the body, even if you exercise routinely, because the additives and processing it goes through at not healthy either. I would say eat it, but don't eat it all the time and make sure to keep some fresh foods, like fruit & vegetables, in your diet. If you cut your favorite foods out completely, all at once, it may be difficult to stick to your new diet/lifestyle. If you ever decide to drop the less healthy foods, try to do so a little at a time.

Yes, but it doesn't have to be all or nothing does it.

People are arguing against eatinmg 100% junk food or 100% clean food. when most people are going to be somewher in the mioddle.

in reality , as long as the majority of your calories are nutritionally sound, and you can still fit it into your macros and calories, then eating the odd McDonalds isn't going to harm you.

80/20 is a great way to do it, as knowing you can still have the 20% in "junk" is what keeps many people on the straight and narrow.

Exactly! Like I said, it is best in moderation. It is fine to enjoy yourself and, personally, it is better to let yourself eat food you love. I think people who love junk food and attempt to cut it out entirely will be less successful, in most cases. I love pizza & if I tried to cut out greasy, delicious, delivery pizza, I would probably cry. lol Or quit!
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    What you wrote makes sense but the woman was asking if she could have two Big Macs and five cookies every day as long as she won't go over calories. I do think that will lead to health problems. In your case once a week seems reasonable.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I find some things I used to like don't taste as good as I thought they used to, or sometimes I save my calories for really good tasting junk food (oxymoron? lol), but yeah I eat whatever i want.

I stay the h#ll out of Mcdonalds. Their food tasted cr@ppy even when I was fatter.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Eating whatever you want as long as you stay under your "calorie goal" everyday is fine. But there is so much data out there that points to fast food as something that is detrimental to ones health. You could have a Big Mac once a week, sure.... but the "meat" that they use is not raised humanely, meaning the animal is subjected to terrible living conditions, which affects the animals immune system, causing the farm to pump the animal full of antibiotics and growth hormones to get it to the correct weight. These chemicals are being linked to long term health problems in humans. The more of those things you eat, the less healthy you really are. You may feel fine, but your cells are changing, they are mutating, they are causing you to either gain weight, or plaque in your arteries, or causing you cancer later on, giving you little health problems that you start to take prescriptions for, passing these little health problems onto your children.

Basically, the more processed your food is, the worse it will be for you in the long run. Learn how to cook foods at home, try to avoid fried foods and bake them instead, eat more veggies and fruits, especially veggies (but avoid corn, it hasn't gotten such good reviews lately).

Personally, I try. And sometimes I fail. I don't know the last time I ate fast food, the whole idea kind of freaks me out and luckily I found someone (my fiance) who feels the same. I enjoy donuts, and cake, and pizza, but I'm constantly trying to find substitutes for those things, either in whole wheat forms or making it at home so I know exactly what I'm putting in my body.

The nicer you are to your body and the environment that helps fuel your body, the better we will all be. I honestly believe that.:smile:

There is not a shred of data that supports this. Not a single study. Provide a link
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    And to those that say a Big Mac has no nutritional value......wrong. It's not the best nutritional value, but it still has value.

Carbs 46
    Fiber 3
    Protein 25
    Fat 29

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Macdonalds food is not healthy, it's not nutritional it's junk food. It's also addictive. It's better to make your own hamburger at home. Eat what you want of course, even a cardboard box would have "some" nutritional value too....
    Your body breaks down food to it's simplest form and absorbs it. It can't tell if it's a burger from McDonald's or your back yard. You'd be hard pressed to prove that it doesn't work that way.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

@ninerbuff Off subject, but can I just say that I've seen you post alot as I read the forums daily and at first I thought you very abrasive, but after reading this whole thread..I'm beginning to love you, and not in that stalker kind of way but in the way that I appreciate seeing your input kinda way. Way to stick to your guns, especially in a fashion that isn't holier than thou, but just straight forward.
    Thanks. People really want to know the truth and so did I which is why I spend some time daily researching. There's lots out there that some want you to believe, and theoretically should make sense, but our bodies seem to work much more efficiently than we may think.
    Back to subject at hand, having Mc D's every once in awhile and having it fit into your calorie goals, is fine by me. I find if I deny myself foods I end up craving them til I binge on them, and then end up feeling guilty and it takes me days to recover and get back on track. Have a splurge or treat, but I would keep it at that, fast food every day for every meal wouldn't be the best for the health of your wallet! :bigsmile:
    I wouldn't condone eating it everyday either. With the exception of some elite athletes (say an Olympic swimmer), fast food is one of the main reasons for excess calorie consumption. Fat, salt and sugar appeal to the taste buds and usually fast food is comprised of all three.
    I will say that when I personally eat McD's it's usually only a cheeseburger (and on occasion a quarter pounder with cheese) and no fries. I'll usually have it on a day that I do more cardio too.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Eating whatever you want as long as you stay under your "calorie goal" everyday is fine. But there is so much data out there that points to fast food as something that is detrimental to ones health. You could have a Big Mac once a week, sure.... but the "meat" that they use is not raised humanely, meaning the animal is subjected to terrible living conditions, which affects the animals immune system, causing the farm to pump the animal full of antibiotics and growth hormones to get it to the correct weight. These chemicals are being linked to long term health problems in humans. The more of those things you eat, the less healthy you really are. You may feel fine, but your cells are changing, they are mutating, they are causing you to either gain weight, or plaque in your arteries, or causing you cancer later on, giving you little health problems that you start to take prescriptions for, passing these little health problems onto your children.

Basically, the more processed your food is, the worse it will be for you in the long run. Learn how to cook foods at home, try to avoid fried foods and bake them instead, eat more veggies and fruits, especially veggies (but avoid corn, it hasn't gotten such good reviews lately).

Personally, I try. And sometimes I fail. I don't know the last time I ate fast food, the whole idea kind of freaks me out and luckily I found someone (my fiance) who feels the same. I enjoy donuts, and cake, and pizza, but I'm constantly trying to find substitutes for those things, either in whole wheat forms or making it at home so I know exactly what I'm putting in my body.

The nicer you are to your body and the environment that helps fuel your body, the better we will all be. I honestly believe that.:smile:
    It's hard for me to believe all of that especially since I know that I've personally eating fast food consistently for over 40 years and haven't had the issues you stated above. You'd have to come up with some solid peer reviewed clinical study that supports it, or else it really just opinion.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    My spelling sucks, sorry. I take courses in food, not learning to spell.

Fair enough - and dietitian is sometimes spelled this way - but the professional organizations have standardized on the other spelling. I was trying to be helpful. (Although attention to detail (like spelling) is very important in the medical field.)
    Yes it is being taught. Nice presumption though, thinking I would state that I am studying nutrition and not post anything I was taught. That makes no logical sense.

You must have misread. I did not make any presumptions. I asked you a question - which is kind of the opposite of making a presumption.
    Knowing what is in our food is part of nutrition. It will be my job to tell people what is good for their body and what is not. I'm sure it is your job to decide my curriculum though. :]

As a member of the public - I do have an interest in medical para-professionals being taught facts - as do you. Ethically, it will be your job to tell people what science (through peer-reviewed studies) says is good for their body - not your opinions or preferences.

I'm not trying to sell you on margarine - I don't eat it either (personal preference). And the trans-fat issue was, as I understand, a real issue backed by science - one which, also as I understand has been mostly addressed by reformulating the products at this point. But teachers trying to scare people off it with nonsense like "It's one molecule different from plastic" is, at best, silly. Which was my whole point about the margarine. (It's like saying, "Don't drink Goldschläger because gold is only a few protons different than lead".)

And honestly, I would not have bothered with any of this if it had not seemed like you were trying to set yourself up as an authority on these topics ("I am studying to become a Registered Dietician now, so I am not giving advice with no background").

Ultimately, since you desire to be a Registered Dietitian, whatever food opinions you have (anti-GMO, anti-artificial sweeteners, dangerous unnamed food additives, unhealthy unnamed food processing, etc) - you should track down some peer reviewed research and make sure that you are passing on facts and not unsupported opinions (or at least hedge your commentary like the doctor in your quote did with "may").

And IMO, you should really expect this level of ethical and professional behavior from your teachers too. I think it kind of sucks that you are being taught opinions.

As a student - you are not yet bound by the code of ethics that RD's adhere to (in the US) - but here's a link (pdf):
    http://www.eatright.org/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=7994

But anyway... I wish you the best in your studies!
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    This has been very interesting reading.
  • cksoto
    cksoto Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My spelling sucks, sorry. I take courses in food, not learning to spell.

Fair enough - and dietitian is sometimes spelled this way - but the professional organizations have standardized on the other spelling. I was trying to be helpful. (Although attention to detail (like spelling) is very important in the medical field.)
    Yes it is being taught. Nice presumption though, thinking I would state that I am studying nutrition and not post anything I was taught. That makes no logical sense.

You must have misread. I did not make any presumptions. I asked you a question - which is kind of the opposite of making a presumption.
    Knowing what is in our food is part of nutrition. It will be my job to tell people what is good for their body and what is not. I'm sure it is your job to decide my curriculum though. :]

As a member of the public - I do have an interest in medical para-professionals being taught facts - as do you. Ethically, it will be your job to tell people what science (through peer-reviewed studies) says is good for their body - not your opinions or preferences.

I'm not trying to sell you on margarine - I don't eat it either (personal preference). And the trans-fat issue was, as I understand, a real issue backed by science - one which, also as I understand has been mostly addressed by reformulating the products at this point. But teachers trying to scare people off it with nonsense like "It's one molecule different from plastic" is, at best, silly. Which was my whole point about the margarine. (It's like saying, "Don't drink Goldschläger because gold is only a few protons different than lead".)

And honestly, I would not have bothered with any of this if it had not seemed like you were trying to set yourself up as an authority on these topics ("I am studying to become a Registered Dietician now, so I am not giving advice with no background").

Ultimately, since you desire to be a Registered Dietitian, whatever food opinions you have (anti-GMO, anti-artificial sweeteners, dangerous unnamed food additives, unhealthy unnamed food processing, etc) - you should track down some peer reviewed research and make sure that you are passing on facts and not unsupported opinions (or at least hedge your commentary like the doctor in your quote did with "may").

And IMO, you should really expect this level of ethical and professional behavior from your teachers too. I think it kind of sucks that you are being taught opinions.

As a student - you are not yet bound by the code of ethics that RD's adhere to (in the US) - but here's a link (pdf):
    http://www.eatright.org/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=7994

But anyway... I wish you the best in your studies!

@JUDDDing, I love you like I love ninerbuff, so glad you actually came back to this thread as I was wondering if you would take the time to respond, and am thankful that you did. I totally agree with you, after reading his/her reply to you, I give you kudos for not mirroring this person's rudeness and snarky remarks. Way to keep it classy. :flowerforyou:
  • pondmermaid
    pondmermaid Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Can i eat anything as long as I stay under calorie goal?!?!

That depends on what your goal is.
    Lose weight.... build muscle..... take in nutrients..... feed cravings..... or create new ones.....

All these personal opinions illustrate the variety of goals people of MFP have.

Interesting eh?
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, then yes.

If you want to be healthy, then not on a regular basis.
  • Nettie96fb
    Options
    I think you'll find that the more you get into your journey, the less you will crave McDonalds and food that has little nutritional value...I'm only doing 1200 calories a day, and I eat all day...it is fruit and vegetables, but I also eat a lot of tuna and chicken. I do have blow outs, but I feel 'fat' when i have, I've found that eating small amounts often is easier...
    good luck with your journey
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options

There is not a shred of data that supports this. Not a single study. Provide a link

The link is in my pants
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    ^ lol!

I don't see a problem with occasional McFood, EXCEPT that in my experience it sets me off on whole trends - days, weeks - of eating crap. Moderation is easier when you use foods that make getting to macros easier. (In theory. Personally I've been having a hard time no matter what lately.)
  • Nettie96fb
    Options
    omg....I just answered her simple question, and have read some of the crap that you lot have posted...it isn't a competition on who has the best quals...it was a simple question, get over yourselves
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Personally I would not.

I could eat 2000 calories of fresh food and be absolutely stuffed to the brim and completely satisfied, not hungry at ALL, I suspect if I ate a big mac and 5 cookies I would be hungry an hour later and on my way to a binge of similar foods.

I have in the past lived off wine and chocolate for periods of time, but I can't say it did me any favours and didn't reward me with a rocking bod either.

If you like McDonalds and can't live without it, work it into your weekly plan perhaps once. Save the rest of the money that you usually spend on takeaway and then use that money to buy a new pair of shoes (or something) when you get to your goal weight. This way, you will see other benefits and can wear your success in more than one way.

Good luck!
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    plus i don't think he's going to eat nothing but mcdonalds every day. i mean, there's got to be a taco bell around his house to mix that *kitten* up sometimes.
    :laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

The link is in my pants

Could you pm me the link so I can check it out later?
  • brunetteavoxgirl
    brunetteavoxgirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Technically yes, you can, but you're not going to be very healthy doing so.
    Not true. I eat McDonald's at least once a week and KNOW I'm healthier than a lot of vegans, paleo, clean eaters etc. who are overweight.
    Health isn't just about food. Health is encompassed by weight, essential nutrition, exercise, rest, genetics, environment, disease resistance and happiness. Delete any one of those and you can compromise your health.

IDEA Fitness member
    While I agree with your comment. I believe she is talking about you micro nutrient intake from those types of foods.
    Maybe. But most people on here believe that eating any fast food is nothing but a detriment to weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

McDonalds goes straight to my boobs. And I don't need anymore of those! :drinker:
    I wish this happened to me.
    It just goes straight to my thighs.