How to Drink Alcohol...

Options

Replies

• Stormchasegrl
    Stormchasegrl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am craft beer and whiskey. I hate the macro beers (Bud, Coors, Miller, etc...) for many different reasons, but that's another topic.

So my problem is that there's no such thing as under 100 calories for my beers. Even a Sam Adams Light is 10 calories an ounce and as most Craft breweries serve beer in pint (16 oz) glasses or more that's 160 calories for a "LIGHT" beer. (that taste good) ;-)

I have found a few practices that help me...
    1. Save up calories for the brews you know you will have
    2. Only have the number your calories will allow
    3. Order a pint of water with every pint of beer and only order another beer when both the pint of beer and the pint of water are empty.
    4. Keep track of every drink. (I use Untappd and MFP)
    5. Work off calories before going or after the next day to make up. (the next day to make up is for when you fail at step 2 above)
    6. (This is the hardest one for me...) Do Not eat after a night of drinking. You will end up eating far more than you want to, or at least I always do. (Late night drive through... I hate you!!)

One last thing for any fellow Craft Brew drinkers out there. There is not way to nail down the calories in those things unless you know the beginning gravity and ending gravity and a rather large math equation, but I have found the info here: http://www.simplybeer.com/how-many-calories-are-in-my-beer/ is a great tool for guestimating... I have this on my phone and usually use the middle of the calorie range and it seems to work fine for me.

CHEERS!!

Thank you!! I feel like I'm the only one! No one gets it!
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    @stormchasergrl... I hear ya. With the amount of people on MFP you would think there would be more of us, but there isn't even a group for people who enjoy alcoholic libations let alone one for Craft and Home brew fans. On these forums it seems like Alcohol is the devil or something. Maybe one of these days when I'm bored enough I will start a group.

Good luck in your weight loss and Cheers!!
  • Stormchasegrl
    Stormchasegrl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @BigDog - Seriously! I get so tired of being made to feel like I'm a terrible person or I have a problem b/c I actually *enjoy* alcohol. It's like the conversation always has to start with a lecture from *everyone* on whatever research led them to believe a certain number is good or bad, and anything away from that is evil! I'm currently getting set to start a home batch of reisling. I haven't delved into beer yet, but I have a kit. Ultimately, having to choose between a Chimay and a Miller 64 is gut wrenching! I will be the first one to sign up if you ever make that group! Good luck and cheers to you as well!!
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ok Stormchasergrl... I got bored enough and started a Group. It's called "Craft Beer and Home Brewing" Here it is: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/11960-craft-beer-and-home-brewing

Invite anyone you think might like to join in there.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My questions is why can't you go out and enjoy yourself without alcohol? Maybe that's your problem!

That's a tough one, since everyone of my friends drink. It is easier to drink than get new friends.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I try not to drink alcohol but when I do I always go for citrus vodka, ice, water and a slice of lemon, amazing and low cal too. Or a light beer but its rare to find light beer in bars in the UK :mad:

Thats because "light" beer is the urine of satan and we have more pride as a nation than to drink that stuff.

If you are gonna have a pint, have it, for christs sake, you only live once. Just remember not to have 6 pints and a kebab every friday - or if you do, make sure you get into a fight so you can log the calories.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I drink what I want and keep a tally to bring my average down over the next 24/48 hours. To my mind, a little of what you like is not a problem, a lot of what you like probably is.....
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    At last!!!! Someone who talks sense!! And a great link too - thanks!!
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Most bars carry the SkinnyGirl Cosmo mixes, its not a whole lot of alcohol & sugar etc. but it looks cute to sip on and you still get a few tingles
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm a rum & diet girl. It's only 60 cals per 1 oz of rum, so if you plan right, you can take down a few of 'em :)
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Diet Dr Pepper + E&J VSOP for me please!
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I enjoy whipped vodka with root beer (not thehealthiest but its tasty:tongue: )
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Very old single barrel scotch, neat.

You'll impress the heck out of knowledgeable dudes and I guarantee you won't drink it fast.
    http://whiskey-reviews.com/2012/11/the-balvenie-single-barrel-15-year-old-scotch-review/
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    How to drink alochol:

open bottle
    pour into glass
    add mixer
    stir or shake as needed
    garnish if desired

or
    open bottle
    chug
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    @BigDog - Seriously! I get so tired of being made to feel like I'm a terrible person or I have a problem b/c I actually *enjoy* alcohol. It's like the conversation always has to start with a lecture from *everyone* on whatever research led them to believe a certain number is good or bad, and anything away from that is evil! I'm currently getting set to start a home batch of reisling. I haven't delved into beer yet, but I have a kit. Ultimately, having to choose between a Chimay and a Miller 64 is gut wrenching! I will be the first one to sign up if you ever make that group! Good luck and cheers to you as well!!

Hear hear. I started brewing beer to keep me from breaking into my mead too soon. I haven't dusted off my carboys in a while but that's not because I don't want to drink, it's because my brewing time now gets spent on my 17 month old daughter.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Gin & Fresca (0 cal citrus soda)

Cherry Coke Zero & Sailor Jerry Rum
  • bttrcp80
    bttrcp80 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I was trying to quote this post:

"My questions is why can't you go out and enjoy yourself without alcohol? Maybe that's your problem!"

Rude! She never said that she was incapable of having a good time without alcohol.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you want some alcohol I suggest just count the cals. White drinks are better for cals, ie vodka or gin. Try it with diet soda or tonic (skinny vodka) in the uk. If you have wine try white, perhaps with a soda. I also love Becks Blue, it's alcohol free, I swear I can't tell and only 98 cals. I drink, I enjoy it, I don't overdue it, and I count the cals. I am losing weight fine. Don't let others judge you, everyone needs to have a little of what they like. I don't eat sweet things so this is my counted treat. Good luck
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I actually love ordering a hard liquor (vodka, gin, tequilla) with club soda and then I pull out my secret stash; I keep a few individual packets of Crystal Light or Bob's drink mix powder in my purse and mix one in with my order.

I usually keep a variety on hand; lemondade, margarita mix, mango margarita mix, mojito, pomegranite, etc.

Great advice. I'll have to try the Crystal Light.

I agree. I'm drinking no alcohol right now while I'm trying to lose weight. My next drink will be a glass of red wine. Definitely missing it. For now I have a diet tonic with lime.