Oh the things I see at the gym...

Options
Ok this was too strange not to share. This morning at the gym I'm on the treadmill, doing C25K when this average size high school age girl hops on the treadmill next to me. Normally I don't care/notice what other people are doing at the gym, but I couldn't help noticing that she was eating something. It turned out to be a snickers bar. I was thinking "that's certainly odd...maybe she's gonna eat it and then run like crazy to burn it off or something?" She walked at a 2.5 for less than 5 minutes then disappeared. So after my run/walk I head over to the weights and she's just sitting on one machine texting. Every 5-10 minutes she switched machines but never actually lifted on any of them...just texted. As I was leaving I saw she had moved onto the leg press, but this time instead of texting, she pulled a full size bag of chips out of her gym bag and continued snacking. Why even go to the gym!?!?

Replies

• Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    oh my gosh! now I've stopped for ice cream on the way home from the gym in the past but have never done anything like that!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe she does it to torture people.
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! That's ridiculous! It will, no doubt, catch up to her sooner or later. =P
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This made me grin. If she was the age to be a mother I'd guess it was quiet time?! Otherwise it does sound a little bizarre
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    That does seem odd.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It's probably a performance art project. I bet someone was filming you two with a hidden camera the whole time.
  • skyline2055
    skyline2055 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i see stuff like this a lot the very few times i went into a gym

guys just stand or sit there half the time , waving their arms around .. then lift for 10 seconds.. stop ... wave their arms around for 10 minutes. then they just walk around for 5 minutes. it's usually the chunkier guys that you can tell drink too many shakes and don't put in much work in lifting. so they're just big and bulky but not in the muscular way

the other day a couple walk in... jump on a treadmill and give it all they have for less than 10min then leave.

LOL
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have to ask but when she joined up did she know it was a gym and not a new form of sweetshop were the only thing you move is your are with the choc bar and your mouth to eat it.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Well Intra-workout nutrition is the new thing in the fitness industry
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I hate when young girls "workout"... Im a young girl but i take my gym time seriously! They think theyl lose 5 pounds by going on the eliiptical for 20 mins... and then they never go back to the gym... I haaate when people bring their phone into the gym with them! Ahhhhhh!
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Perhaps she is hoping she will pick up some fitness by osmosis. What I can't fathom is the eating on the equipment - chocolate sticky and chip crumbs are not what I want to encounter during a workout.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Youth is wasted on the young
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well Intra-workout nutrition is the new thing in the fitness industry

Yep: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/879001-starvation-mode-is-not-a-myth-warning
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    watched a girl walk on the treadmill for an hour then drink a massive protein shake.
  • jjlibunao
    Options
    OMG - I have NEVER seen anyone eat anything while they're working out. Not even a power bar.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    That seems a little too odd!
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Oh to be young....
  • woolstockboy1
    woolstockboy1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I hate when young girls "workout"... Im a young girl but i take my gym time seriously! They think theyl lose 5 pounds by going on the eliiptical for 20 mins... and then they never go back to the gym... I haaate when people bring their phone into the gym with them! Ahhhhhh!
    I am guilty of taking my phone in the gym. The one day I forgot it of course was the day my 7 year old got sick at school and needed to be picked up immediately. I don't use mine while at the gym but I have it with me. Too bad if this offends you:mad:
  • woolstockboy1
    woolstockboy1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The treadmills where I work out face the parking lot and you can see people pull up. There are people who pull up to the front sit in their cars and finish smoking a cigarette before coming inside, or puff away on it as they are walking up to the door and throw it on the ground. What's the use of coming in to workout when you are just gonna smoke away any benefits you just gained.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have mine with me all the time at the gym. Netflix on the bike and workout tunes while doing weights