Question for ladies with families....

Options
1235»

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I only make one meal mostly. But I take some things into consideration. My 5 year old HATES Brussels Sprouts, but he will eat broccoli. So if I make Brussels Sprouts I will make a serving of broccoli for him. I am willing to make small and reasonable concessions.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I had to have a talk with my husband about how he needed to suck it up and be a good example for my kids. I do try to put something in each meal to appeal a little to everyone, but generally I make what I make and if they don't eat theirs they have to forage or go hungry. We have lots of healthy-ish options in the house, and not much junk, so it isn't so bad if my son pitches his dinner and makes himself a sandwich later.

Try different methods of cooking vegetables to see if some are better-accepted than others. For example, kale in soup = yuck, but baked kale chips or crispy kale on top of pizza = omnomnom more please. Steamed Brussels sprouts = barf, oven roasted blackened Brussels sprouts = zomgdelicious.
  • AmandaW01
    Options
    It is so difficult if your husband is so picky - mine hates wholemeal anything, (so we can't have wholemeal pasta/brown rice etc) but I'm lucky that he does like veggies - its me who hates them! Always have done - my mum used to make me sit til I'd eaten them, or threaten me with them for breakfast, and I would still refuse - we had a lot of stand offs ;-) I eat them now simply because I know they are healthy for me but loath every single mouthful and find the taste utterly disgusting and nauseating - even stuff like carrots/salad. I've yet to find a veg I enjoy, its purely a case of I need these nutrients, and I want my kids to eat well, so I force them down. My son is the same and now he's 20 he leaves them or simply asks not to have them on his plate - my daughter loves them and will eat whole bowls of veg, and the little one is in between - there are some veg she enjoys but most she really doesn't. I wish food wasn't so difficult but I'm also of the 'cook one meal' school of thought and we all have the same - its just half of us love it, the other half don't :-)