Health concerns about dairy products

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure one of the rules of the board is not to bash other people's dietary choices right? Just wanted to clarify for myself.
    You must be exempt from that rule with amount of mouth time you spend telling people how they got it all wrong with their dietary choices, considering vegans are all knowing, I shouldn't have had to remind you of that.

i'm not a vegan. there goes your argument...
    Only 1 in a 1000 actually are, so it's not surprising.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    cow_milk_for_baby_cows_human_milk_for_baby_humans_bumper_sticker-p128342124873318476en8ys_400.jpg

this
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    nah. veganism is based on making an intelligent decision based on a wealth of information and the realities of crappy animal processing in this country.
    Assigning intent to mammary glands is based on an impoverished view of biology, not a wealth of information. Sloganeering is the opposite of wanting or expecting people to make an intelligent decision. Propaganda about cows being forced to stay pregnant (as if 'free' cows would only choose to have babies when it doesn't interfere with their careers) is not a wealth of information. Making claims like 'eating whole foods cures cancer' isn't either.

Taking advantage of peoples' naivete about the realities of life and death to show them images that horrify them in order to manipulate them into avoiding particular foods is not the act of someone who believes in the intellect of their audience.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    nah. veganism is based on making an intelligent decision based on a wealth of information and the realities of crappy animal processing in this country.
    Assigning intent to mammary glands is based on an impoverished view of biology, not a wealth of information. Sloganeering is the opposite of wanting or expecting people to make an intelligent decision. Propaganda about cows being forced to stay pregnant (as if 'free' cows would only choose to have babies when it doesn't interfere with their careers) is not a wealth of information. Making claims like 'eating whole foods cures cancer' isn't either.

Taking advantage of peoples' naivete about the realities of life and death to show them images that horrify them in order to manipulate them into avoiding particular foods is not the act of someone who believes in the intellect of their audience.

weird. you think i'm naive. i think you're naive. you think i'm ignorant. i think you're ignorant. i think you ignore facts. you think i ignore facts. guess we can just agree to disagree.

simply put: the way we produce food in this country matters to me. protecting the environment matters to me. being as healthy as possible matters to me. that's why I eat less meat/dairy. who are you to criticize that? if those things don't matter to you, so be it.
  • suewestcountry
    suewestcountry Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    what about the poor almonds having to be milked twice a day? has anyone thought about that or the nut liberation front
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

That is one thing you and me can agree on!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    cow_milk_for_baby_cows_human_milk_for_baby_humans_bumper_sticker-p128342124873318476en8ys_400.jpg

this
    Cow's milk is not for anything. Cow's milk exists because cow genes that build cows were historically more or less successful depending on (among other things) the amount of milk they produced.

If you want to argue that cow's milk is (metaphorically) for something, it is for fueling mechanisms that make copies of cow genes. Among those mechanisms are dairy farm operations and human societies.

As far as cow genes would be concerned, veganism is not a friend but an enemy, because if veganism were to succeed there would be far fewer cow genes in the world than there are today.
  • alikat2986
    alikat2986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I LOVE DAIRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drinker:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

weird. you think i'm naive. i think you're naive. you think i'm ignorant. i think you're ignorant. i think you ignore facts. you think i ignore facts. guess we can just agree to disagree.

simply put: the way we produce food in this country matters to me. protecting the environment matters to me. being as healthy as possible matters to me. that's why I eat less meat/dairy. who are you to criticize that? if those things don't matter to you, so be it.
    You seem to think this thread is all about you personally. Get over yourself.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Cow's milk is not for anything. Cow's milk exists because cow genes that build cows were historically more or less successful depending on (among other things) the amount of milk they produced.

If you want to argue that cow's milk is (metaphorically) for something, it is for fueling mechanisms that make copies of cow genes. Among those mechanisms are dairy farm operations and human societies.

As far as cow genes would be concerned, veganism is not a friend but an enemy, because if veganism were to succeed there would be far fewer cow genes in the world than there are today.

Truth. Cows (cattle) would go extinct. (domesticated species)
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

*you and I
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

*you and I

You are funny.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'm pretty sure one of the rules of the board is not to bash other people's dietary choices right? Just wanted to clarify for myself.

I'm pretty sure it's one of the rules of the board not to make comments about someone's grammar right? Just wanted to clarify for myself.
  • naschulze
    Options
    Can you post a source that isn't from a radical animal rights group? They have an OBVIOUS agenda. How about a medical site?

That said, I drink one cup of milk a day these days. Personally, I would prefer soy milk because it tastes better to me.

I didn't realize they had an obdious agenda until now. Going there was my first time on their site and they listed a lot of sources so I figured it was legit. As I said I haven't looked into the sources yet but since then people have given other sources which was the purpose of this post.

Thanks
  • naschulze
    Options
    Can you post a source that isn't from a radical animal rights group? They have an OBVIOUS agenda. How about a medical site?

That said, I drink one cup of milk a day these days. Personally, I would prefer soy milk because it tastes better to me.

This is a good documentary
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1567233/

Also - http://www.thechinastudy.com/

About the China study http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study_(book)

An athletes point of view http://www.nomeatathlete.com/milk/
    Yeah, those milk drinkers in China was an eyeopener. Here's some data that's enlightening.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/06/23/tuoli-chinas-mysterious-milk-drinkers/

In addition to the video I posted earlier (heres the vid in full - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKu2n4dMMCM), this guy also gives a ton of info about the dangers of dairy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9XuYRoqo1A
  • naschulze
    Options

Truth. Cows (cattle) would go extinct. (domesticated species)

So I guess we won't go into why Tuna almost went extinct right? Not that it would matter because it is impossible for everyone in the world to become vegans, not that I would want everyone to. People misunderstand the point, which would be LESS consumption of meat and dairy, not a complete halt of it. Vegans choose to cut it out completely for either their own health or to have a greater impact on the environment, but there will always be a meat and dairy industry unless they all get exposed to some disease stemming from poor treatment and die off on their own.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    great info, thanks.
  • lovelylittlegiggles
    Options
    My cardiologist actually told me to lower my dairy content. So, I believe that in an abundance it may not be a good thing, just like anything else.

I do know that I have a dairy sensitivity and I have children who have dairy allergies.

So, it is a personal choice as to what to eliminate from your diet. I personally, like milk, but find that I can function just fine on others types of 'milk.'