Health concerns about dairy products

Options

Replies

• forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    PS: I don't drink cows milk because it gives me gas... the end.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Can you post a source that isn't from a radical animal rights group? They have an OBVIOUS agenda. How about a medical site?

That said, I drink one cup of milk a day these days. Personally, I would prefer soy milk because it tastes better to me.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Can you post a source that isn't from a radical animal rights group? They have an OBVIOUS agenda. How about a medical site?

That said, I drink one cup of milk a day these days. Personally, I would prefer soy milk because it tastes better to me.

This is a good documentary
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1567233/

Also - http://www.thechinastudy.com/

About the China study http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study_(book)

An athletes point of view http://www.nomeatathlete.com/milk/
  • Geni_B
    Geni_B Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I felt I should share this with everyone. I've been doing a lot of research lately on the goods and bads of what we eat and this article really stuck out to me since I recently cut dairy out of my diet. Worth the read and cites all it's sources although I haven't checked them out yet.

In a nutshell, it's linking dairy with osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, cancer & diabetes. It also cites dairy as being a common dietary trigger of migraines and arthritis pain, acne, & possibility food allergies and colic in infants and children...+more

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/health-concerns-about-dairy-products

If anyone else has come across other informative sources about dairy I would love to read them.
    :smile:

After I gave up dairy and replace it with cocanut, almond milk I lost a lot more weight and I also feel dairy is not really good for you after all the research I have done on the internet but thats my personal opinion it is worth checking into thanks for posting this it is important we all take our health into our own hands and do the research to see whats good and whats not to make the best healthy way of life for ourselves so we will never gain our wieht back again. gb
  • MrsFlotron
    MrsFlotron Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    yeah its nasty ****. I drink almond milk and eat soy cheese now. I do love cheese though so if its on pizza, well ya know..
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

This is a good documentary
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1567233/

Also - http://www.thechinastudy.com/

About the China study http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study_(book)

An athletes point of view http://www.nomeatathlete.com/milk/
    Yeah, those milk drinkers in China was an eyeopener. Here's some data that's enlightening.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/06/23/tuoli-chinas-mysterious-milk-drinkers/
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Regardless of any studies, humans are the ONLY species in the world that continues to consume milk past infancy and the ONLY species to consume the milk of ANOTHER species.

No we're not. Lots of animals will consume it when given the chance. Just because they haven't figured out how to milk the other species yet, doesn't mean they wouldn't if they could. Do other species brew coffee to drink, or grind their meat to make neat little patties that will fit on a bun, or cure and smoke pork belly to eat with their fried chicken embryos, or do any of a million other cooking and eating techiniques we humans do? No, but they probably all wish they could.

Eh. We could argue that flying airplanes and driving cars is not" natural," but we take the dog in the car so it can be done. But the thing we are talking about here is the biological needs of our species.

Nope. I was talking about other species consuming milk, which is why I quoted that section.

But, if you want to talk biological needs, do we have a biological need for coffee, or bacon, or eggs, or broccoli, or just about any other food you can name? We need food, but you'd be hard pressed to find one individual food that we biologically need to live.

Chocolate?

Nope. Some people are allergic and do just fine without it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    milk.png
  • beckybrouse
    beckybrouse Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post! I too have done lots of research and if you YouTube Dr. T. Colin Campbell or The China Study - there is loads of informative information. ForksOverKnives.com is another valuable resource. I've now lived dairy free for 2 months and am amazed by the difference in my body and clarity. Hope this helps!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    But, if you want to talk biological needs, do we have a biological need for coffee, or bacon, or eggs, or broccoli, or just about any other food you can name? We need food, but you'd be hard pressed to find one individual food that we biologically need to live.

Chocolate?

Chocolate%20Food%20Groups.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    milk.png

Perfect!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    nobody has "no problem" with wheat, some (again) just tolerate it better. celiac disease - in my book - IS in the same category as dairy, and the number of people with celiac has risen over 400% in the last 50 to 100 years because of increased wheat intake coupled with genetically modified wheat that is even harder to digest.

I was in the Middle East... and trust me, they've been eating wheat for the last 6-7 thousand years at least. When I was in Turkey, the wheat was growing wild like grass in the ancient ruins I visited... it is that ubiquitous. (it is also the country where it was domesticated)

Most of those changes have occurred in wheat due to simple breeding practices. Now, my ancestors come mainly from this tiny country in the North Atlantic (Ireland) where it's too wet and cold for wheat, and what wheat was grown was reserved for the upper classes. So the poor simply ate other grains, such as oats and millet... till potatoes arrived on the scene from the New World.

I don't believe in some original human state that we are all belonging to. Our ancestry is just what it is, environment played a huge role, and it sets us up for different problems that we have to work around.

They have been drinking milk for just as long.. :wink:

Yup, particularly cultured milk products, as fresh does not hold up in the heat.

and actually, cultured milk products (like Kefir) ARE better for you than the pasteurized crap we make here in the US. but you'll see that dairy (and meat) makes up a significantly smaller percentage of a Mediterranean diet than it does in the US.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    milk.png

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mdh185
    mdh185 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Do you have to be gullible and completely uniformed to post on the subject of nutrition here or does it just work out that way? There is not milk conspiracy, milk is healthy. Calcium and vitamin D are both essential for weight regulation.. Worry about eating processed foods, don't worry about the whole foods. Just eat it moderation.

Most milk in the western world IS processed....

http://www.naturalnews.com/035505_pasteurized_milk_documentary_facts.html
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    and actually, cultured milk products (like Kefir) ARE better for you than the pasteurized crap we make here in the US. but you'll see that dairy (and meat) makes up a significantly smaller percentage of a Mediterranean diet than it does in the US.

You are talking to someone who moved back to the US six months ago, after living in Europe for the last 15 years. I'm well aware of what a Mediterreanean diet is. I've been to many of the countries, many more than once. Italy was within driving distance, shrug.

They eat plenty of pork down there... and seafood. Not so much beef however. (unless you go to Turkey, and even there they don't eat a great deal of beef, lamb and chicken are much more prevalent).

Dairy, I am guessing you've never eaten Italian cheeses. Italian cheese is full of awesome! I'd go back to Italy in a heartbeat... even in southern Germany I had my choice of cheeses from Italy, in the regular dairy case. Makes me homesick... can't stand much of the stuff that passes for dairy in the States.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Chocolate?

Chocolate%20Food%20Groups.jpg

"white chocolate" is to chocolate as turkey bacon is to bacon.
  • rm7161
    Options
    also, re: pasteurisation, most dairy sold in Europe is pasteurised, but you can get raw milk products easily (I lived in a dairy area... could get it from the cow that day if you wanted)

They're expensive however. Pasteurisation isn't ebil... it does wipe out the food-borne diseases in milk. Folks mix it up with homogenisation around here... two different things.

Also, in Europe you can get milk that is tetrapak and shelf stable, as well as tetrapak in the refrigerated case that holds its freshness longer, foods are regularly irradiated to control food borne pathogens, and loads of people buy that too.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

You are talking to someone who moved back to the US six months ago, after living in Europe for the last 15 years. I'm well aware of what a Mediterreanean diet is. I've been to many of the countries, many more than once. Italy was within driving distance, shrug.

They eat plenty of pork down there... and seafood. Not so much beef however. (unless you go to Turkey, and even there they don't eat a great deal of beef, lamb and chicken are much more prevalent).

Dairy, I am guessing you've never eaten Italian cheeses. Italian cheese is full of awesome! I'd go back to Italy in a heartbeat... even in southern Germany I had my choice of cheeses from Italy, in the regular dairy case. Makes me homesick... can't stand much of the stuff that passes for dairy in the States.

i'm quite versed in italian cheese actually - and you're right. it's amazing. but again, they don't eat it in near the quantities (and with all the processed crap like Kraft) as we do.

and the problem with pasteurization is that it also kills all the good bacterias which are the reason for eating/drinking dairy in the first place.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I felt I should share this with everyone. I've been doing a lot of research lately on the goods and bads of what we eat and this article really stuck out to me since I recently cut dairy out of my diet. Worth the read and cites all it's sources although I haven't checked them out yet.

In a nutshell, it's linking dairy with osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, cancer & diabetes. It also cites dairy as being a common dietary trigger of migraines and arthritis pain, acne, & possibility food allergies and colic in infants and children...+more

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/health-concerns-about-dairy-products

If anyone else has come across other informative sources about dairy I would love to read them.
    :smile:

I originally stumbled upon this information back when I was in highschool and joined PETA.
    I stopped drinking milk at first because of its link to acne, and to ethical reasons.
    Low and behold, my skin cleared up (it was so bad at one time I was using major prescriptions to treat it) within a week, and now if I drink milk, within minutes my stomach cramps up, I have to RUN to the bathroom and painful cyst-like pimples develop all over my face.
  • rm7161
    Options
    i'm quite versed in italian cheese actually - and you're right. it's amazing. but again, they don't eat it in near the quantities (and with all the processed crap like Kraft) as we do.

You can't, really. It's too rich, and it's also not cheap. Though Kraft is a multinational and you can find Kraft products over there as well. Not Velveeta so easily though... But people can find crap in an Italian, French, or Spanish supermarket if they are determined to find it.
    and the problem with pasteurization is that it also kills all the good bacterias which are the reason for eating/drinking dairy in the first place.

Thing to remember is that people eat both over there. Though raw milk dairy is more commonly eaten in cheeses rather than as straight milk. It's also eaten full fat, reduced fat dairy aside the products that are naturally skim or lower fat (like yogurts, cottage cheese and the like) are not particularly popular on the other side of the pond.