Health concerns about dairy products

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

In a nutshell, it's linking dairy with osteoporosis

lolno, dairy is one of the best sources of calcium out there, far more digestible than vegetable sources.

and that doesn't mean it helps prevent osteoporosis. because it doesn't. :)

My disease is good at giving me osteoporosis... and no amount of you harping about it is going to change me from eating nonfat plain yogurt on a daily basis.

hey if you don't want to explore every option there is to potentially heal you, that's your choice! :)
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options

lolno, dairy is one of the best sources of calcium out there, far more digestible than vegetable sources.

My disease is good at giving me osteoporosis... and no amount of you harping about it is going to change me from eating nonfat plain yogurt on a daily basis.

hey if you don't want to explore every option there is to potentially heal you, that's your choice! :)

The studies on Bifidobacterium were enough to sway me. There are reasons to eat yogurt that include the critters that live in it. Bifido is shown in more than one study to help celiac disease, and it is the bacteria that is most prevalent in human breast milk -- which is speculated to be a difference between children who get celiac vs. children who do not. As I can't go back in time to get mother's milk in my mid 40s, I can get it from dairy sources.
  • naschulze
    Options

I had a coconut milk yogurt this morning that was very high in calcium (and high in phosphorus which is also needed for strong bones). Tastes the same.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

No one, not even the OPs article, is saying that dairy will make osteoporosis worse. The studies on whether or not it helps prevent fractures are still mixed, but starting to lean towards no. Even then, I have only read for one study that accounted for activity levels and that was done on teenage girls, not middle aged women.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't drink milk. Makes me all phlegmy and I think it tastes gross. I love me some almond milk though.

As for cheese... Well you're going to have to pry that out of my cold dead hands.
  • rm7161
    Options
    I had a coconut milk yogurt this morning that was very high in calcium (and high in phosphorus which is also needed for strong bones). Tastes the same.

No Bifido. I deliberately eat yogurt that is cultured with Bifido.

I eat coconut products too, but for different reason, and in different ways. I still eat yogurt with them. I won't stop eating yogurt, but if you are happy eating what you eat, great. Not saying you should eat like me, and your way may not work for me, either.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

The studies on Bifidobacterium were enough to sway me. There are reasons to eat yogurt that include the critters that live in it. Bifido is shown in more than one study to help celiac disease, and it is the bacteria that is most prevalent in human breast milk -- which is speculated to be a difference between children who get celiac vs. children who do not. As I can't go back in time to get mother's milk in my mid 40s, I can get it from dairy sources.

absolutely - pre and probiotics are hugely important. fortunately they don't only exist in yogurt.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Thank you cow milk for making both of these means Epic!!

hot dogs + sharp cheddar + lean hamburg + Thick cut hickory bacon + Sweet Baby rays bbq sauce + TURTLE BURGERS!

turtleburger_zpsd3c3ca9c.jpg

Check it out! Last night I made home made mac n cheese with bacon bits stuffed jalapeno meatloaf wrapped in apple cider cured BACON!! It...was...epic!!!!

BACONLoaf_zps388e4620.jpg

you need to stop.

Does this mean I should hold off on the chili pic?
  • bkr45678
    bkr45678 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Check it out! Last night I made home made mac n cheese with bacon bits stuffed jalapeno meatloaf wrapped in apple cider cured BACON!! It...was...epic!!!!

BACONLoaf_zps388e4620.jpg

Can I haz sum??!?!?

That looks ridiculously yummy.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    he relationship between high-fat dairy consumption and obesity, cardiovascular, and metabolic disease

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-012-0418-1
  • rm7161
    Options
    absolutely - pre and probiotics are hugely important. fortunately they don't only exist in yogurt.

While that is true, my diet is restricted enough already with gluten free. Vegans who don't have a disease which restricts them, don't have such a limited palette to choose from.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    PCRM?
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This is just from personal experience - no research, no science. Just going by what has happened in my own and my family members' lives...

Most of the problems with dairy seemed to be from allergies. Many people have allergies to dairy though some are very mild. My dairy allergy causes me to be mucousy after eating it and, if I eat it while I have a cold I use double the Kleenexes.

My sister-in-law has a severe dairy allergy that was diagnosed by a doctor after causing damage to her intestines.

My brother-in-law gets horrible acne if he consumes dairy.

Both of my children were intolerant of dairy as babies - to the point where I had to remove it from my diet while breastfeeding until they were six months old.

My husband's GP says to limit all dairy consumption. There are actually far better sources of calcium. My children's pediatrician still says they should get at least 20oz of cow's milk per day.

With all of that - unless of extreme allergy like my SIL and BIL, we consume dairy in moderation. Good luck finding what works for you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Thank you cow milk for making both of these means Epic!!

hot dogs + sharp cheddar + lean hamburg + Thick cut hickory bacon + Sweet Baby rays bbq sauce + TURTLE BURGERS!

This is immature. I suppose you want a cookie or something?

Cookies and milk FTW!

recipe_cookies.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Association of beverage consumption with obesity in Mexican American children.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23308395
  • thegreatestlove
    thegreatestlove Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Fist rule of research?
    Don't believe everything you hear.

Second rule?
    Peer reviewed studies are much more reliable.

Fun fact?
    For almost every study saying one thing, you can find another saying the opposite

^^Truth!!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Dairy is an excellent source of Calcium, Vitamin D3, Protein and natural fats. Being severely lactose intolerant I don't get to each much of it daily but when I did as a kid/teen I was always healthy, had strong bones and built muscle quite easily and I generally consumed a litre a day.

I don't now obviously and have spent a number of years being Calcium and Vitamind D3 deficient (among other nutrient deficiencies) and I have noticed a large change in my body, not only do I break things much easier (fractured my ankle in two places slipping on ice, no jokes) but I have noticed my tooth enamel isn't as strong and they are becoming sensitive. What I didn't know was that calcium helps to maintain enamel and bone density among other things.

So in other words losing that great source of calcium certainly doesn't look like it's for the best unless you learn to properly supplement for what you are not getting.
  • rm7161
    Options
    he relationship between high-fat dairy consumption and obesity, cardiovascular, and metabolic disease

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-012-0418-1

That's an interesting study, but the reason for nonfat dairy is just that it is lower calories and higher protein. I still eat enough fat, even dairy fat. But why have full fat yogurt when I would rather have a limited amount of a full fat cheese with my nonfat variety? :)
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I felt I should share this with everyone. I've been doing a lot of research lately on the goods and bads of what we eat and this article really stuck out to me since I recently cut dairy out of my diet. Worth the read and cites all it's sources although I haven't checked them out yet.

In a nutshell, it's linking dairy with osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, cancer & diabetes. It also cites dairy as being a common dietary trigger of migraines and arthritis pain, acne, & possibility food allergies and colic in infants and children...+more

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/health-concerns-about-dairy-products

If anyone else has come across other informative sources about dairy I would love to read them.
    :smile:

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/2-foods-beware-weight-gain.html

I came across this a few weeks ago. There are 2 parts to this......Wheat & Dairy. Figured you would be interested in the Dairy portion. I think they key is not removing ALL dairy, but figuring out which dairy products are good and which are potentially harmful.
  • naschulze
    Options

No one, not even the OPs article, is saying that dairy will make osteoporosis worse. The studies on whether or not it helps prevent fractures are still mixed, but starting to lean towards no. Even then, I have only read for one study that accounted for activity levels and that was done on teenage girls, not middle aged women.

You're right. I didn't say that correctly. My bad.