Health concerns about dairy products

Options

Replies

• rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    lol i didn't make any judgments about them - i was simply stating a fact that people of european descent handle dairy better than anyone else in the world.

and I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make here.... are you equating yourself with these "early farmers"? Do you live in a harsh climate where you have to do what you can to survive? I'm confused.

I've been in situations where I could not get enough to eat, and what was there to eat would harm me. My ancestors (not even that long ago, 19th century) survived famines and outright genocide.

But my argument is just to point out that its anachronism to force your values today on people who lived in the past in radically different situations. Celiac disease is also a product of that evolution, too... my ancestors had less exposure to wheat products until the 20th century. I suppose that can put wheat products in the same category as dairy?

What about the majority who have no problem with wheat? Why should they have to do what I do?
  • mdh185
    mdh185 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Do you have to be gullible and completely uniformed to post on the subject of nutrition here or does it just work out that way? There is not milk conspiracy, milk is healthy. Calcium and vitamin D are both essential for weight regulation.. Worry about eating processed foods, don't worry about the whole foods. Just eat it moderation.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Let's also remember that the US government subsidizes dairy products and promotes them with it's "Got Milk?" campaign. I've never seen a "Got broccoli?" campaign. No one would argue that broccoli is unhealthy. Why the bias?

Do not even get me started on the GOV and FDA. DO YOUR RESERCH PEOPLE. If the government cared about you they would not put Monsanto a pesticide company in charge of the FDA. Do your research in to Monsanto and all the great chemicals they have given to us DDT, PCBs, Agent Orange, and recombinant bovine somatotropin to name a few. Now 80% of the food we get are genetically modified. These are the people making the GMO food that you fuel your body with. The food you feed your kids.

WAKE THE FAWK UP!!!

Tinfoil hat much? And how does an inanimate being run the FDA?

It does not take a tinfoil hat or a genius to figure it out.

Who is Monsanto - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto

Google - Revolving door Monsanto &US GOV

Obama appointed Michael Taylor as a senior adviser for the FDA. Taylor had formerly served as a vice president for Monsanto. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/monsanto-petition-tells-obama-cease-fda-ties-to-monsanto/2012/01/30/gIQAA9dZcQ_blog.html

Hmmm Micheal Taylor = Margaret Hamburg?

http://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/commissionerspage/default.htm

Strong conspiracy theory is strong

yeah... you're not doing too well here:
    Michael R. Taylor is the Deputy Commissioner for Foods at the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Strong reading comprehension

who here said he was the commissioner? the person you quoted said he was a senior adviser. Which he is.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    lol i didn't make any judgments about them - i was simply stating a fact that people of european descent handle dairy better than anyone else in the world.

and I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make here.... are you equating yourself with these "early farmers"? Do you live in a harsh climate where you have to do what you can to survive? I'm confused.

I've been in situations where I could not get enough to eat, and what was there to eat would harm me. My ancestors (not even that long ago, 19th century) survived famines and outright genocide.

But my argument is just to point out that its anachronism to force your values today on people who lived in the past in radically different situations. Celiac disease is also a product of that evolution, too... my ancestors had less exposure to wheat products until the 20th century. I suppose that can put wheat products in the same category as dairy?

What about the majority who have no problem with wheat? Why should they have to do what I do?

nobody has "no problem" with wheat, some (again) just tolerate it better. celiac disease - in my book - IS in the same category as dairy, and the number of people with celiac has risen over 400% in the last 50 to 100 years because of increased wheat intake coupled with genetically modified wheat that is even harder to digest.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Let's also remember that the US government subsidizes dairy products and promotes them with it's "Got Milk?" campaign. I've never seen a "Got broccoli?" campaign. No one would argue that broccoli is unhealthy. Why the bias?

Do not even get me started on the GOV and FDA. DO YOUR RESERCH PEOPLE. If the government cared about you they would not put Monsanto a pesticide company in charge of the FDA. Do your research in to Monsanto and all the great chemicals they have given to us DDT, PCBs, Agent Orange, and recombinant bovine somatotropin to name a few. Now 80% of the food we get are genetically modified. These are the people making the GMO food that you fuel your body with. The food you feed your kids.

WAKE THE FAWK UP!!!

Tinfoil hat much? And how does an inanimate being run the FDA?

It does not take a tinfoil hat or a genius to figure it out.

Who is Monsanto - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto

Google - Revolving door Monsanto &US GOV

Obama appointed Michael Taylor as a senior adviser for the FDA. Taylor had formerly served as a vice president for Monsanto. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/monsanto-petition-tells-obama-cease-fda-ties-to-monsanto/2012/01/30/gIQAA9dZcQ_blog.html

Hmmm Micheal Taylor = Margaret Hamburg?

http://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/commissionerspage/default.htm

Strong conspiracy theory is strong

yeah... you're not doing too well here:
    Michael R. Taylor is the Deputy Commissioner for Foods at the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Strong reading comprehension

who here said he was the commissioner? the person you quoted said he was a senior adviser. Which he is.
    the government cared about you they would not put Monsanto a pesticide company in charge of the FDA
  • naschulze
    Options
    Thanks to whoever posted this (I don't feel like going back and looking): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob3Nmr1i4ns
  • rm7161
    Options
    nobody has "no problem" with wheat, some (again) just tolerate it better. celiac disease - in my book - IS in the same category as dairy, and the number of people with celiac has risen over 400% in the last 50 to 100 years because of increased wheat intake coupled with genetically modified wheat that is even harder to digest.

I was in the Middle East... and trust me, they've been eating wheat for the last 6-7 thousand years at least. When I was in Turkey, the wheat was growing wild like grass in the ancient ruins I visited... it is that ubiquitous. (it is also the country where it was domesticated)

Most of those changes have occurred in wheat due to simple breeding practices. Now, my ancestors come mainly from this tiny country in the North Atlantic (Ireland) where it's too wet and cold for wheat, and what wheat was grown was reserved for the upper classes. So the poor simply ate other grains, such as oats and millet... till potatoes arrived on the scene from the New World.

I don't believe in some original human state that we are all belonging to. Our ancestry is just what it is, environment played a huge role, and it sets us up for different problems that we have to work around.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Could also argue that better screening for celiac's is why you are seeing a rise in diagnosis.

But none the less I cant believe this post is still going. Does anyone really think that they are going to change someone's mind? Are are you just arguing for the fun of it?

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy my fabulous bowl of oatmeal with milk and yogurt! MMMMM milky goodness!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

{b]nobody has "no problem" with wheat[/b], some (again) just tolerate it better. celiac disease - in my book - IS in the same category as dairy, and the number of people with celiac has risen over 400% in the last 50 to 100 years because of increased wheat intake coupled with genetically modified wheat that is even harder to digest.

How did you deduce that? Please explain to me what problems I have with wheat.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just a few people in the revolving door between Monsanto, FDA, EPA and US GOV
    Monsanto%20Position-L.jpg
    Monsanto%20Position%20%282%29-L.jpg
    Monsanto%20Position%20%283%29-L.jpg
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I was in the Middle East... and trust me, they've been eating wheat for the last 6-7 thousand years at least. When I was in Turkey, the wheat was growing wild like grass in the ancient ruins I visited... it is that ubiquitous. (it is also the country where it was domesticated)

Most of those changes have occurred in wheat due to simple breeding practices. Now, my ancestors come mainly from this tiny country in the North Atlantic (Ireland) where it's too wet and cold for wheat, and what wheat was grown was reserved for the upper classes. So the poor simply ate other grains, such as oats and millet... till potatoes arrived on the scene from the New World.

I don't believe in some original human state that we are all belonging to. Our ancestry is just what it is, environment played a huge role, and it sets us up for different problems that we have to work around.

I'm talking about the USA. their wheat isn't as genetically modified in the middle east - i'd venture to guess.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Could also argue that better screening for celiac's is why you are seeing a rise in diagnosis.

But none the less I cant believe this post is still going. Does anyone really think that they are going to change someone's mind? Are are you just arguing for the fun of it?

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy my fabulous bowl of oatmeal with milk and yogurt! MMMMM milky goodness!

(oatmeal doesn't have gluten) :wink:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

{b]nobody has "no problem" with wheat[/b], some (again) just tolerate it better. celiac disease - in my book - IS in the same category as dairy, and the number of people with celiac has risen over 400% in the last 50 to 100 years because of increased wheat intake coupled with genetically modified wheat that is even harder to digest.

did you read the part where i said some people tolerate it better? comprehension win!
  • rm7161
    Options
    did you read the part where i said some people tolerate it better? comprehension win!

2/3s of the population will never have a problem with wheat, ever.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yet again, the aggressiveness - I asked a question. You should relax a bit more - it's good for you.

Please answer the question or explain why you made a comment that you do not actually agree with - I bolded it for you to help you with your reading comprehension.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options

I'm talking about the USA. their wheat isn't as genetically modified in the middle east - i'd venture to guess.
    Wheat has never been genetically modified anywhere in the world, ever. lol
  • LilMissDB
    Options

And I'm not sure to whom you refer when you say "generally considered to be nature's perfect food", but I doubt there are more than a handful, if any, nutrition experts who could consider dairy a perfect food.

Every dietitian I've ever met has thought dairy was the best food (nutritionally speaking). Even those that are personally vegans agree! To be fair, I guess I haven't met them all, just maybe a few hundred :)
  • kanstulpants
    kanstulpants Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As for propaganda? I believe it has been the meat and dairy industry leading the way for decades. The quiet little voice in the dark can be read on vegetable packages when you buy bagged veggies to eat 5 a day for better health, etc. Mother Nature knows best.

So Mother Nature knows best.

Does "Mother Nature" not also produce meat and dairy?

And the message on the bag of veggies to "eat five a day" is not propaganda by the vegetable industry?

:)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

And I'm not sure to whom you refer when you say "generally considered to be nature's perfect food", but I doubt there are more than a handful, if any, nutrition experts who could consider dairy a perfect food.

Every dietitian I've ever met has thought dairy was the best food (nutritionally speaking). Even those that are personally vegans agree! To be fair, I guess I haven't met them all, just maybe a few hundred :)

No offense, but I find that hard to believe. In what context did "the best food" come up in conversation with all of these hundreds of dieticians?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yet again, the aggressiveness - I asked a question. You should relax a bit more - it's good for you.

Please answer the question or explain why you made a comment that you do not actually agree with - I bolded it for you to help you with your reading comprehension.

Yes, I'd like to hear the answer as well. I've never had any problems when eating wheat. While I understand that means I tolerate it better than those that do have a problem. How does that translate to your double negative of not having no problem?