Health concerns about dairy products

Options

Replies

• VersusTheMoose
    Options
    I eat some cheese now and then but the human body is simply not meant to process diary after the age of 2. This is coming from possibly the biggest milk and cheese fan there is. Everything in moderation though, sometimes it is too tempting to resist.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Regardless of any studies, humans are the ONLY species in the world that continues to consume milk past infancy and the ONLY species to consume the milk of ANOTHER species.

No we're not. Lots of animals will consume it when given the chance. Just because they haven't figured out how to milk the other species yet, doesn't mean they wouldn't if they could. Do other species brew coffee to drink, or grind their meat to make neat little patties that will fit on a bun, or cure and smoke pork belly to eat with their fried chicken embryos, or do any of a million other cooking and eating techiniques we humans do? No, but they probably all wish they could.

^^^ This! Pretty sure my cats (and even the dog) would jump at the chance to drink milk... In fact, pretty sure I have seen them drink from the glass when left unattended.
    My dog got sick and threw up on a walk. Went by that same spot later and he tried to eat his own vomit a week later. That doesn't mean it is good for him! = D
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Anyone wanting more information on Dairy and Disease look up Dr. John McDougall. He is an amazing man and DR. with over 35 years of experience fighting the dairy industry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob3Nmr1i4ns
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Regardless of any studies, humans are the ONLY species in the world that continues to consume milk past infancy and the ONLY species to consume the milk of ANOTHER species.

No we're not. Lots of animals will consume it when given the chance. Just because they haven't figured out how to milk the other species yet, doesn't mean they wouldn't if they could. Do other species brew coffee to drink, or grind their meat to make neat little patties that will fit on a bun, or cure and smoke pork belly to eat with their fried chicken embryos, or do any of a million other cooking and eating techiniques we humans do? No, but they probably all wish they could.

Eh. We could argue that flying airplanes and driving cars is not" natural," but we take the dog in the car so it can be done. But the thing we are talking about here is the biological needs of our species.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    he relationship between high-fat dairy consumption and obesity, cardiovascular, and metabolic disease

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-012-0418-1

Their Methods:
    We have conducted a systematic literature review of observational studies on the relationship between dairy fat and high-fat dairy foods, obesity, and cardiometabolic disease. We have integrated these findings with data from controlled studies showing effects of several minor dairy fatty acids on adiposity and cardiometabolic risk factors, and data on how bovine feeding practices influence the composition of dairy fat.

so correct me if I'm wrong, but they did the following things:

1) Looked at a bunch of literature about dairy
    2) Compared this information with other information from previous studies and data collected by other people

They didn't actually DO any experiments... or am I misreading?

Ok and?

I dunno man, you don't think a study that says "we looked at all this stuff (which we won't show you) and this is what we think about it" has a little less credibility than one in which they actually performed some sort of trial where they explained all the methodology and findings?

References (109)...

hah thanks.

regardless, still not a very strong study - as even with all those references:
    Studies investigating the connection between high-fat dairy intake and diabetes or cardiovascular disease incidence were inconsistent.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I eat some cheese now and then but the human body is simply not meant to process diary after the age of 2. This is coming from possibly the biggest milk and cheese fan there is. Everything in moderation though, sometimes it is too tempting to resist.

No matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true.

Lactase persistence exists in people of northern European ancestry.

http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000491

Abstract

Lactase persistence (LP) is common among people of European ancestry, but with the exception of some African, Middle Eastern and southern Asian groups, is rare or absent elsewhere in the world. Lactase gene haplotype conservation around a polymorphism strongly associated with LP in Europeans (−13,910 C/T) indicates that the derived allele is recent in origin and has been subject to strong positive selection. Furthermore, ancient DNA work has shown that the −13,910*T (derived) allele was very rare or absent in early Neolithic central Europeans. It is unlikely that LP would provide a selective advantage without a supply of fresh milk, and this has lead to a gene-culture coevolutionary model where lactase persistence is only favoured in cultures practicing dairying, and dairying is more favoured in lactase persistent populations.

Welcome to Evolution.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    If Milk was bad....woman would not produce it for their babies. Milk is part of a balanced diet supported by many state governments in their food guides.

Having said that, in Canada milk is tested at the producer (farm) and if any atibiotics or steroids are dectected the shipment is dumped. This process does not occur in th US though and you may be exposed to steroids in you milk. WIthin Canada milk is completely safe to drink.

Chicken...on the other hand....is full of antiboitics in US and Canada. They bulk those babies up to keep them healthy and strong....but they are still tasty!

THIS. ^^

Moral of the story: Choose better dairy products if you choose to consume dairy.
    It's out there you just have to find it! And if you still don't want dairy, there are lots of alternatives.
  • veggiesaurus15
    Options
    Let's also remember that the US government subsidizes dairy products and promotes them with it's "Got Milk?" campaign. I've never seen a "Got broccoli?" campaign. No one would argue that broccoli is unhealthy. Why the bias?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    he relationship between high-fat dairy consumption and obesity, cardiovascular, and metabolic disease

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00394-012-0418-1

Their Methods:
    We have conducted a systematic literature review of observational studies on the relationship between dairy fat and high-fat dairy foods, obesity, and cardiometabolic disease. We have integrated these findings with data from controlled studies showing effects of several minor dairy fatty acids on adiposity and cardiometabolic risk factors, and data on how bovine feeding practices influence the composition of dairy fat.

so correct me if I'm wrong, but they did the following things:

1) Looked at a bunch of literature about dairy
    2) Compared this information with other information from previous studies and data collected by other people

They didn't actually DO any experiments... or am I misreading?

Ok and?

I dunno man, you don't think a study that says "we looked at all this stuff (which we won't show you) and this is what we think about it" has a little less credibility than one in which they actually performed some sort of trial where they explained all the methodology and findings?

References (109)...

hah thanks.

regardless, still not a very strong study - as even with all those references:
    Studies investigating the connection between high-fat dairy intake and diabetes or cardiovascular disease incidence were inconsistent.

Lol, and where are all the "strong studies" you have brought to the table showing how bad dairy is?
  • rm7161
    Options
    Let's also remember that the US government subsidizes dairy products and promotes them with it's "Got Milk?" campaign. I've never seen a "Got broccoli?" campaign. No one would argue that broccoli is unhealthy. Why the bias?

Broccoli is healthy, but if you have a clotting disorder related to Vitamin K, it's not so good.

Moral? Everybody's body is different, and what's good for one person isn't always good for another.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Abstract

Lactase persistence (LP) is common among people of European ancestry, but with the exception of some African, Middle Eastern and southern Asian groups, is rare or absent elsewhere in the world. Lactase gene haplotype conservation around a polymorphism strongly associated with LP in Europeans (−13,910 C/T) indicates that the derived allele is recent in origin and has been subject to strong positive selection. Furthermore, ancient DNA work has shown that the −13,910*T (derived) allele was very rare or absent in early Neolithic central Europeans. It is unlikely that LP would provide a selective advantage without a supply of fresh milk, and this has lead to a gene-culture coevolutionary model where lactase persistence is only favoured in cultures practicing dairying, and dairying is more favoured in lactase persistent populations.

yes, white folk are better at digesting dairy because our bodies evolved to do so after being force fed it for thousands of years.

asians, africans, indians, etc, etc, etc are all not nearly as well equipped to digest milk as people of european descent which proves two things

1) our bodies weren't originally designed to digest dairy
    2) our bodies have evolved to be better at it over the years, though we're still not "meant" to drink it. our bodies simply tolerate it better
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Meh. Not so long ago the egg was a small round bundle of poison that would give you heart disease and kill you.
    Before that, butter was the devil and you should eat margarine instead(yay for pushing hydrogenated fats)

Now it's milks turn.

If you like it, eat it/drink it in moderation.
  • veggiesaurus15
    Options

Broccoli is healthy, but if you have a clotting disorder related to Vitamin K, it's not so good.

Moral? Everybody's body is different, and what's good for one person isn't always good for another.

Then why not a "Got strawberries?" or "Got beans?" campaign?
  • rm7161
    Options

Abstract

yes, white folk are better at digesting dairy because our bodies evolved to do so after being force fed it for thousands of years.

asians, africans, indians, etc, etc, etc are all not nearly as well equipped to digest milk as people of european descent which proves two things

2) our bodies have evolved to be better at it over the years, though we're still not "meant" to drink it. our bodies simply tolerate it better

Do you see the fallacy? You are arguing that evolution is somehow bad, that we should be the way we were way in a fictional past. Trust me, there weren't any vegans in the harsh climate of Northern Europe during the Neolithic.

If you are vegan for ethical issues, fine. But the past is not a reason to hold this opinion.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that the dairy industry is being targeted by vegan's and lactose intolerant persons who want you to eat more of something else that has calcium (the agriculture industry involved?..hmm).

Hey now. Don't go lumping us lactose intolerant people in with vegans. I didn't CHOOSE to not be able to digest certain kinds of dairy for the rest of my f-ing life. If I could still digest cheese I'd be eating tons and tons of pizza. And yes I've tried the lactaid pills. When I was taking like 10 per meal and they weren't doing anything I just had to eliminate cheese (especially) from my diet, and way limit my consumption of all other kinds of dairy. I'm hoping all the vegan-"scientists" with agendas could just start working on the cure for lactose intolerance so I can eat copious amounts of pizza again.

I feel your pain. My dad was part Brazilian and part Spanish and was also Lactose Intolerant. I have One brother (a second brother WAS lactose intolerant but then went to Africa for business and somehow is now not lactose intolerant anymore!, lol), and three sisters who are all lactose intolerant. I am like my mom THANK GOD so I can drink all the cow's milk and cheese I want and not have to run to the restroom afterwards. LOL..

BTW, to prove that cancer & osteoporosis has no link with cow's milk: dad never had any of it and still had osteoporosis and multiple myeloma. Mom has none of those problems, thank GoD!
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

I have a hard time with Broccoli and Cabbage. My body doesn't digest it very well. (( scene with Sheldon Cooper thinking he has to remove his appendix comes to mind , instead he just has gas from consuming brussel sprouts, haha))
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    cow_milk_for_baby_cows_human_milk_for_baby_humans_bumper_sticker-p128342124873318476en8ys_400.jpg

Very JUDGY don't you think?

My child could not tolerate breast milk. What should we have done?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Eh. We could argue that flying airplanes and driving cars is not" natural," but we take the dog in the car so it can be done. But the thing we are talking about here is the biological needs of our species.

Nope. I was talking about other species consuming milk, which is why I quoted that section.

But, if you want to talk biological needs, do we have a biological need for coffee, or bacon, or eggs, or broccoli, or just about any other food you can name? We need food, but you'd be hard pressed to find one individual food that we biologically need to live.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Abstract

Do you see the fallacy? You are arguing that evolution is somehow bad, that we should be the way we were way in a fictional past. Trust me, there weren't any vegans in the harsh climate of Northern Europe during the Neolithic.

If you are vegan for ethical issues, fine. But the past is not a reason to hold this opinion.

i'm not a vegan.

also, i didn't say evolution was bad in any respect! i simply said that we TOLERATE it better, which doesn't mean we NEED it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Do not even get me started on the GOV and FDA. DO YOUR RESERCH PEOPLE. If the government cared about you they would not put Monsanto a pesticide company in charge of the FDA. Do your research in to Monsanto and all the great chemicals they have given to us DDT, PCBs, Agent Orange, and recombinant bovine somatotropin to name a few. Now 80% of the food we get are genetically modified. These are the people making the GMO food that you fuel your body with. The food you feed your kids.

WAKE THE FAWK UP!!!

Tinfoil hat much? And how does an inanimate being run the FDA?