Binge Eating... Do you Own up?

Options

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what people consider to be binge eating. How many calories in a day, for instance? I've always thought of binge eating as stuffing down five or ten thousand calories at a sitting (not a secret trip to McDonald's for the #8 and a milkshake) but I'd like to know what it means on MFP. Thanks!

Binge eating is generally defined as consuming a large quantity of food in a short amount of time, with a sense of loss of control.
    Unfortunately, many here misuse the word and attach it to a simple case of eating more than they wanted to, or going over their calories. I, personally, binge on 5000-10000 calories when it happens, and would never use the term 'binge' so lightly as some on mfp do.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    And No, I do not log my binges whatsoever. Never will
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    If your spouse is around, will you not binge?

I do not have a spouse and live alone. I do not binge, however, when my boyfriend is present.

Do you hide your food packaging?

I hide it from myself, more than anything. Usually with my past binges, they were almost planned, in that I would buy all the foods I craved for and wanted in vast quantities, in an all or nothing approach, so there would be a lot of packaging, and remains because obviously a stomach can only take so much. I would throw it into the outdoor dustbins as quickly as possible once I was done purging (I have ed issues also).

Does your spouse know about it?

My boyfriend knows about it. I see no purpose in hiding it. You cannot gain support and understanding if you hide it and that just gives you more opportunity to continue the cycle. That and the shame aspect. Not helpful.

Do you talk about it? To who? Therapist?

I did for a time, but I was initially seeing them for other issues. Now I generally tell my bf if I have binged as it usually puts me in a bad frame of mind, and I generally post on my status here as well when I have binged. I log most of the time now, but in the past, when they were severely severe, it was not always possible to log accurately, and it left me feeling very distressed to see the numbers.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Also, there is a wonderful, active support group on here for those of you wanting some support and understanding for the binge eating issues.
    We have a binge challenge each month also.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/726-binge-eating-support-group
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    When I binge I eat a normal amount of food, then a normal amount of another food, then another food. For example, I might have a bowl of salad, then 2 cookies, then a bowl of soup, then carrot sticks, then a zuchinni, maybe a bowl of chips. Just keep going back for more.

That's not binge eating, that's overeating.
  • danasings
    Options
    Bingeing isn't so much about the food being eaten but the complete loss of control. Even though my brain is telling me I'm full and not hungry, i can't stop myself eating, just shovelling in, fast. I don't even taste it. Its just got to be in mouth as fast as possible.

This is bingeing.
  • danasings
    Options
    I havent binge eaten in years but when i did i would go until i threw up either voluntarily or not or until i passed out from the pain of my full stomach. Binging to me is, well it was, entire boxes of little debbie goodies, 2 lb bags of skittles or a dozen large donuts plus whatever else would fill the volume until it felt like my stomach was splitting. I would never do it in front of anyone but when i had an urge and couldnt get alone time to binge it made the binge even worse when i finally could get alone. I was confronted by my dad about it when i was 16 when he found dozens of empty 2lb bags of candy in my car. I stopped binging about six years ago after i talked with my family and husband openly about it. ive only done it a handful of times up until 3 years ago. Binge free since then.

You must be so proud!!! Congratulations on being binge-free...three years, wow! :flowerforyou:
  • danasings
    Options
    I'm curious as to what people consider to be binge eating. How many calories in a day, for instance? I've always thought of binge eating as stuffing down five or ten thousand calories at a sitting (not a secret trip to McDonald's for the #8 and a milkshake) but I'd like to know what it means on MFP. Thanks!

Binge eating is generally defined as consuming a large quantity of food in a short amount of time, with a sense of loss of control.
    Unfortunately, many here misuse the word and attach it to a simple case of eating more than they wanted to, or going over their calories. I, personally, binge on 5000-10000 calories when it happens, and would never use the term 'binge' so lightly as some on mfp do.

Ditto
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    What classifies as a binge?

I eat more when i'm alone but it's not to the point where im stopping at 3 different fast food places and loading up. I will sneak a poptart when my husbands not home or like just now i ate the rest of the pringles (not that much left) and then i had a biscuit. lol

ahh the above post answered my question.

i guess im not a binge eater just an over eater
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Bingeing isn't so much about the food being eaten but the complete loss of control. Even though my brain is telling me I'm full and not hungry, i can't stop myself eating, just shovelling in, fast. I don't even taste it. Its just got to be in mouth as fast as possible.

This is bingeing.

Agree! I haven't binged for almost a month. Overeaten yes but not binged
  • danasings
    Options
    OP, I apologize for all of my previous short responses...I've been going through the thread page by page and remarking so I don't forget. :smile:

I have never binged in front of anyone. It's always been done in secret. I have even hidden from my toddlers while binge eating.

Yes, always.

Yes, he does. When I was binge eating, I would always tell him afterward. He does not understand it, but he gives me as much love, support and kindness as possible.

I talk to a therapist. I discuss it with a few MFP friends. I am also reading the book Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen and have decided to make February binge-free. I believe that if I can go 28 days without bingeing, I can stop completely. Wish me luck. :happy:

Kudos to every single person in this thread. It is very difficult to own up to binge eating.

ETA: in order to stay binge-free this month, I have chosen to eat at maintenance. sometimes eating at a deficit for a long period of time can trigger bingeing, and I'm experimenting to see if it helps me to eat more on a daily basis.
  • carathanassis
    Options
    Thanks so much for your honesty here. I'm ultimately on this site to help me to deal with my binge eating behaviors! Here's to working towards a peaceful relationship with food.:smile:
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    OP, I apologize for all of my previous short responses...I've been going through the thread page by page and remarking so I don't forget. :smile:

I have never binged in front of anyone. It's always been done in secret. I have even hidden from my toddlers while binge eating.

Yes, always.

Yes, he does. When I was binge eating, I would always tell him afterward. He does not understand it, but he gives me as much love, support and kindness as possible.

I talk to a therapist. I discuss it with a few MFP friends. I am also reading the book Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen and have decided to make February binge-free. I believe that if I can go 28 days without bingeing, I can stop completely. Wish me luck. :happy:

Kudos to every single person in this thread. It is very difficult to own up to binge eating.

ETA: in order to stay binge-free this month, I have chosen to eat at maintenance. sometimes eating at a deficit for a long period of time can trigger bingeing, and I'm experimenting to see if it helps me to eat more on a daily basis.

I really believe eating more has helped me not binge alot. Talking to someone helps too
  • Dinokitty22
    Dinokitty22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I over eat together, but he has never seen me binge.
    I have hidden food wrappers or made up some lame excuse (I dropped it, it went bad, ect.)
    I don't log binges, I would rather just stop recording the entire day.
    I've never really talked w anyone seriously about it.
    I don't think anyone know.
    I used to do it a lot in middle school and high school. I would eat nothing or very little until I got home. Then, Ice cream, cookies, chips, cereal, bread, crackers, usually carbs unil my stomach would explode especially after very stressful days. I only have true binges a couple times a month now. Alone at night, my bf works nights. I will just eat and eat and eat, until its painful, don't know why, maybe just bored or lonely, never actually hungry. I don't really think about it much. I used to purge, but have resisted the urge to for over 3 years.
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I will not do it around my fiance. I'm always by myself. I hide the packages or whatever, and I usually clean up and leave no evidence or what ever behind. A bad habit I have after bingeing is getting to full and vomiting it up (then eating again..). Luckily, I've mostly stopped the throwing up. I'm getting a little better about not bingeing....
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I liken myself to an alcoholic. Only for me, it's sugary sweet things rather than alcohol.

I know that feeling! I work with drug addicts and alcoholics and when they explain their addiction to me, I think to myself, that's me only with food. Some how I am able to offer them help but have not been able to apply my own advice to myself :huh:
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Can I just say this is one of the best threads I have read xx
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Just reading through these posts brings back all sorts of memories and emotions.
    It's funny how you forget.
    I remember going to bed with tummy pains because i was so hungry and waking up feeling the same. Mum crying because dad work put everyone on 3 days and she thought we'd get evicted because they couldn't pay the rent. Meals were basic and mum always made a pudding but they weren't big meals.
    When I was 15 I got a stomach ulcer because all I would have for lunch was a sandwich consisting of 1 slice of bread.
    We were all really skinny, me and my 2 brothers.
    The daily meals would be something like:-
    Breakfast-Cereal and milk (usually cornflakes or porridge)
    Lunch-1 slice of bread, slice of cheese.
    Dinner-baked potato scooped out and mixed with half an egg.

i'm not sure how many calories that is but I was always hungry especially doing swimming and gymnastics!

My mum and her sister lost their mother at aged 7 and 8. They came home from school to find the police on the door step and were told to go to neighbours. Their mother had gassed herself and their 1 year old sister in the kitchen.
    They were passed around the relatives until mum was 16 and got a job as a secretary and got a house share for her and her sister. She funded her sister to finish school and go to nursing college.

She used to tell me stories of hiding food and having bread and dripping for tea.

Mum binges, she bakes cakes and eats all of them saying 'Well no one came to visit' I grew up with my aunt saying 'I ate so much yesterday I was sick in the night' She's skin and bones, but insists she's a UK 12. She still sicks up food on a regular basis.

I stock pile chocolate and sweeties, but I used to plan binges too, for when hubby was away ( and being in the forces meant he was away a lot) and the kids were in bed. For example a whole fray bentos steak and mushroom pie with a huge yorkshire pudding and a mound of chips. I'd eat until my tummy hurt. I'd drink too. Whole bottles of gin or sherry would disappear.

It's always 'junk' food bad, bad ready meals and lots of pastry product.

I've eaten 8 cream eclares in one go. Slabs and slabs of chocolate.

One year when the kids were little I ate all their easter eggs.

I am also a feeder. Anyone who comes to the house gets a meal. I even made bacon sandwiches for the blokes doing our patio!

Our relationship with food is deep seated, sometimes learnt from parents. Being accountable for what we eat and open about it is key to managing it.

Logging it is owning it. Log it and learn from it. It's the only way we can fully be in charge of our selves.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Saw this info from David Kessler's book:

1. Figure out your cues. Food cues, situational cues, all of them.
    2. Refuse everything you can’t control.
    3. Create an alternate plan with a specific behaviour to adopt in place of what normally would be conditioned hypereating.
    4. Limit your exposure.
    5. Remember the stakes. When faced with a situation that may involve conditioned overeating ensure that your visualization takes you all the way through to the inevitable end of the eating episode where you acknowledge that following momentary pleasure may come the pain of guilt or depression or the simple fact of it being counterproductive to your health.
    6. Reframe things in terms of you vs. them. Kessler calls this active resistance. Recognize that Big Food is out to get you and try to see food in those terms.
    7. Thought stopping. Try to stop your food related thoughts dead in their tracks.
    8. Add negative associations to your normal cues.
    9. Talk down the urge. Approach it with rationale thoughts. “Eating this will only satisfy me momentarily”, “If I eat this I’ll demonstrate that I can’t break free”.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    My parents have moved to another state so I live alone at the moment. I have a terrible social phobia and even holding eye contact with people makes me feel like I cant breathe, like constricted and terrified. So I force myself to make jokes and serve customers all morning and by the end I am internally panicking. Generally I will come home and be so upset and feel humiliated even though I probably recieved compliments and praise for my good work. And make a list of things that need doing so I stay on track. I make lunch and it makes me feel whole again, like there is life on this earth, and suddenly I am super hungry and eat all the days calories in the one sitting. Sometimes I will make myself sick. generally i will fast until the next day.

My significant other and everyone else for that matter think I'm brilliantly healthy and have good well-being.
    I like that I inspire good habits into them.
    I like to cook for other people, but find it hard to eat with them for fear of losing control.
    Ive never told anyone because I can manage it,I make gradual improvements day by day.
    X