Anyone know of any low calorie IPA's??

Options
My husband loves him some good IPA's but they are all pretty calorie heavy...

Is there any goods brands out there that offers lower calories than most?

TIA!

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Sam Adams IPA seems the lowest at 175 cals. Unfortunately, IPA's are just one of those beers that are going to be high in calories.
  • Taralynngranius
    Options
    what is an IPA? sorry.. i'm new to this..
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

TIA!

Stop looking for low cal beers, just drink some in moderation and get on track the next day, if you're going to drink beer, drink good beer
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    LOL...drinking them in moderation get's kinda hard when you're 2 in.... :drinker:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

TIA!

Stop looking for low cal beers, just drink some in moderation and get on track the next day, if you're going to drink beer, drink good beer

QFT
  • juditanne
    juditanne Posts: 59 Member
    Options

TIA!

that is exactly what i say! moderation is key. good beer is also key.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    IPAs are calorie heavy, no way around it. Make it fit calorie wise, or drink less of them...because light *anything* won't compare to a real IPA.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

TIA!

THIS.

Learning moderation is really key, especially with alcohol. If you find you (or your husband, OP), have difficulty moderating alcohol after two drinks, don't get to that second drink.

My favorite thing to do is order sampler flights at microbreweries, or any good place that serves lots of craft beer; I'm getting the "multiple beer" experience but it's equaling out to about 1-2 beers depending on the flight glass size.
  • naterar
    naterar Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    IPA are India Pale Ales and they are a thick darker beer. I love them but hate the calories they bring. One trick I have done it to get a glass with ice and put them in. It add water to it so it lasts longer and takes longer drink. Plus you are getting some hydration which will help flush out the beer better. With the darker beers they don't seem to water down with taste like a Bud Light or other beer.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options

TIA!

Can't say it better than this
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    LOL...drinking them in moderation get's kinda hard when you're 2 in.... :drinker:

IPAs are heavy to drink, they are kinda hard to pound down. I love an IPA but I cant remember drinking more than maybe 3 in a sitting.
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options

IPAs are heavy to drink, they are kinda hard to pound down. I love an IPA but I cant remember drinking more than maybe 3 in a sitting.

Exactly...I wonder why you couldn't remember.... :laugh:
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options

TIA!

agreed! The best tasting beers are usually NOT low cal - my favorite right now is a Vanilla Porter (HIGH in cals) BUT I dont drink a ton of it, I savor it!!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    IPA are India Pale Ales and they are a thick darker beer. I love them but hate the calories they bring. One trick I have done it to get a glass with ice and put them in. It add water to it so it lasts longer and takes longer drink. Plus you are getting some hydration which will help flush out the beer better. With the darker beers they don't seem to water down with taste like a Bud Light or other beer.

IPAs are not a darker beer and they are not thicker. And adding ice cubes to beer is just wrooooooooooooooong.
  • ewennmacher
    Options

IPA's are not necessarily darker beers. Most tend to be lighter in color. Adding water to beer (especially a craft beer) is so wrong! I am not a fan of IPA's but I do enjoy most craft beers, like a good stout or porter and I would rather not drink them than add water tho them!!!!
  • corn63
    Options

IPA's are not necessarily darker beers. Most tend to be lighter in color. Adding water to beer (especially a craft beer) is so wrong! I am not a fan of IPA's but I do enjoy most craft beers, like a good stout or porter and I would rather not drink them than add water tho them!!!!

Marry me. Marry me now.
  • ewennmacher
    Options

IPAs are not a darker beer and they are not thicker. And adding ice cubes to beer is just wrooooooooooooooong.

*like!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    170 on the low side for a good strong IPA, consider that even somewhat flavorless beers will be around 125-150. Last time I made some it came out a lot stronger than that!

An IPA is a pale ale but stronger and more hops, thus the word "Imperial". And since the "P" means PALE, it's stylistically incorrect to have a dark one, though it does happen in rare cases.

You might want to find a very hoppy PALE ale (not IPA) that would give you the hop flavor without all the calories, but you're not going to get it down to anywhere even remotely close to 125 calories.

If you like good beer like I do... save up calories, exercise, and don't drink a ton of them. Sorry.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

TIA!

THIS.

Learning moderation is really key, especially with alcohol. If you find you (or your husband, OP), have difficulty moderating alcohol after two drinks, don't get to that second drink.

My favorite thing to do is order sampler flights at microbreweries, or any good place that serves lots of craft beer; I'm getting the "multiple beer" experience but it's equaling out to about 1-2 beers depending on the flight glass size.
    bingo.

Get a Lagunitas Sucks for about 250 calories and call it a day.
  • corn63
    Options
    170 on the low side for a good strong IPA, consider that even somewhat flavorless beers will be around 125-150. Last time I made some it came out a lot stronger than that!

An IPA is a pale ale but stronger and more hops, thus the word "Imperial". And since the "P" means PALE, it's stylistically incorrect to have a dark one, though it does happen in rare cases.

If you like good beer like I do... save up calories, exercise, and don't drink a ton of them. Sorry.

*pssst* The I stands for India. Not imperial.