Anyone know of any low calorie IPA's??

Options

Replies

• mtbiker1069
    mtbiker1069 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

An IPA is a pale ale but stronger and more hops, thus the word "Imperial". And since the "P" means PALE, it's stylistically incorrect to have a dark one, though it does happen in rare cases.

Actually, the "I" stands for India, not Imperial...

Quick Beer History Lesson. The IPA style came to be because when the British would ship their beer to India for their troops it would spoil on the long trip over. So, the brewers brewed beers with higher alcohol content and more hops to take advantage of the natural perseverative powers in the hop and alcohol.

Yes, I'm a beer nerd, and LOVE IPA's, porters, stouts and about anything that doesn't have the word Light behind it.

I just drink in moderation and save my calories so I can have a class of the frosty goodness after dinner...
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

Now here's the most important question for all: American or English style? I prefer English.

I've always preferred American. Grapefruity citrusy fun. But I'm starting to try some English and seem to be taking a liking to them.

Can anyone suggest a commonly available representative beer?

Do you get Left Hand? Their 400 Pound Monkey is the best English IPA ever.

Yep! A local shop got in their marzen, and they have been adding more and more. Pretty sure I saw 400 Pound Monkey and thought it was funny.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Now here's the most important question for all: American or English style? I prefer English.

I've always preferred American. Grapefruity citrusy fun. But I'm starting to try some English and seem to be taking a liking to them.

Yep! A local shop got in their marzen, and they have been adding more and more. Pretty sure I saw 400 Pound Monkey and thought it was funny.

It's funny like a wet, hoppy slap in the face by a surly Brit. You will love it, I promise!
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    images_zps62a59eb9.jpeg

I just made a great arrogant *kitten* chili for the super bowl. I love that stuff.
  • infamousmk
    Options

An IPA is a pale ale but stronger and more hops, thus the word "Imperial". And since the "P" means PALE, it's stylistically incorrect to have a dark one, though it does happen in rare cases.

Actually, the "I" stands for India, not Imperial...

Quick Beer History Lesson. The IPA style came to be because when the British would ship their beer to India for their troops it would spoil on the long trip over. So, the brewers brewed beers with higher alcohol content and more hops to take advantage of the natural perseverative powers in the hop and alcohol.

Yes, I'm a beer nerd, and LOVE IPA's, porters, stouts and about anything that doesn't have the word Light behind it.

I just drink in moderation and save my calories so I can have a class of the frosty goodness after dinner...

(they actually shipped the barrels with fresh hop cones in them to help in the preservation, but this is really where the whole idea of wet hopping came from...) The absolutely delicious smell of a wet hopped IPA makes my heart sing.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

It's funny like a wet, hoppy slap in the face by a surly Brit. You will love it, I promise!

Hahaha I love it already!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    images_zps62a59eb9.jpeg

I just made a great arrogant *kitten* chili for the super bowl. I love that stuff.

Recipe....please?? Pretty please?

It's like a menage a trois with my tongue.
  • mtbiker1069
    Options

(they actually shipped the barrels with fresh hop cones in them to help in the preservation, but this is really where the whole idea of wet hopping came from...) The absolutely delicious smell of a wet hopped IPA makes my heart sing.

+1

and makes my mouth water...

To mimic that "wet hopping" , or Dry hopping as its' called these days, the brewer will add the hops to the fermentation vessel, instead of the boil. Really gets those hop flavors kickin'. IF I ever see a new beer that says it's dry hopped that's my 1st choice.
  • infamousmk
    Options

+1

To mimic that "wet hopping" , or Dry hopping as its' called these days, the brewer will add the hops to the fermentation vessel, instead of the boil. Really gets those hop flavors kickin'. IF I ever see a new beer that says it's dry hopped that's my 1st choice.

(it's called wet hopping if you use fresh hop cones, dry hopping if you use pellets) I grow Cascades, had two different wet hopped beers on tap last summer.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options

Gotta look for this one!

The less the alcohol content the lower the calories. I use this site to guestimate calories.

http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

+1

(it's called wet hopping if you use fresh hop cones, dry hopping if you use pellets) I grow Cascades, had two different wet hopped beers on tap last summer.

To elaborate further... wet hopping uses fresh hop cones. Best case is picked right from the vine and used. Dry hopping is exactly what is sounds like, not necessarily pelletized (although they probably would be) the hops are dried out and used. You could use whole hops for this that are dried.

Oh and...

cHSqp_zps10a98386.gif
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    IPA are India Pale Ales and they are a thick darker beer. I love them but hate the calories they bring. One trick I have done it to get a glass with ice and put them in. It add water to it so it lasts longer and takes longer drink. Plus you are getting some hydration which will help flush out the beer better. With the darker beers they don't seem to water down with taste like a Bud Light or other beer.

IPA's are not necessarily darker beers. Most tend to be lighter in color. Adding water to beer (especially a craft beer) is so wrong! I am not a fan of IPA's but I do enjoy most craft beers, like a good stout or porter and I would rather not drink them than add water tho them!!!!

the clue's in the name.......
  • mtbiker1069
    Options

Interesting. I hadn't heard that. So the hop cones go in the fermenter as well?

I actually use loose leaf hop's in my beers. No pellets so it doesn't have to be pellets to be considered dry hopping does it?

How does wet hopping change the character of the beer over dry hopping?
  • infamousmk
    Options

+1

To elaborate further... wet hopping uses fresh hop cones. Best case is picked right from the vine and used. Dry hopping is exactly what is sounds like, not necessarily pelletized (although they probably would be) the hops are dried out and used. You could use whole hops for this that are dried.

Oh and...

cHSqp_zps10a98386.gif

^5

Recently started getting wind of hop resin ... the guys at Lagunitas were telling us about it... concentrating the oils takes out all of the extraneous volume of the actual hops, whether they are whole cone or pelletized, and I have to admit I'm intrigued. I imagine the sediment would be reduced (maybe not drastically, but to a noticeable degree) by using resin in the boil.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    None that I care to drink.
  • infamousmk
    Options

I actually use loose leaf hop's in my beers. No pellets so it doesn't have to be pellets to be considered dry hopping does it?

Wet hopping gives a definite 'fresh' aroma - it's very similar to dry hopping, but there's an added layer of almost grassy (and some times too much grassy, if you leave your hops on too long!) clean smell. It's just different enough to notice.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Dry hopping tends to be more citrus/floral tasting while wet hopping tastes more piney/junipery/grassy. In my opinion, wet hopping tastes stronger of hops. I've had beers that use both, though, and that often comes across as balanced (if done well). The time the hops are added to the fermenter as well, makes a difference.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

We use pellets in our brewing and I find one, a distinct lack of lupulins in the beer itself (if you notice yellow little specks in the beer, LUPULINS! That's the stuff hops are made of.

I find though that with dry hopping, you get far more aroma out of the hops vs bitter/flavoring. Wet hops lends more flavor to it. Now, this could also be the hops we're using Haven't really experimented too much with it. But my recent lazy brewing technique was dry hopping in the fermenter. Conversation went like this:

Me (to Man Friend): Dude. This needs more hops. I'm going to have to dry hop in the keg. Or. Do I throw a handful into the secondary and let it settle out?...
    Him: Sounds like a good thing to do. Let's do that and grab a beer while we're down there.
    Me: I'm just going to get a pinch and drop them in.
    Him: *shrug*

*tosses handful of Apollo in*

Me: Looks good.

AND THE BEER IS FANTASTIC. Maris otter SMaSH beer with Apollo hops on 1056 yeast.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    IPA are India Pale Ales and they are a thick darker beer. I love them but hate the calories they bring. One trick I have done it to get a glass with ice and put them in. It add water to it so it lasts longer and takes longer drink. Plus you are getting some hydration which will help flush out the beer better. With the darker beers they don't seem to water down with taste like a Bud Light or other beer.

There are so many things wrong with this post that I don't even know where to start. :angry:

I didn't respond to it because I want to pretend it didn't happen.

Its pretty much inline with the diet and fitness advice people toss around here.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    anyone in the midwest ever go to Dark Lord Day at Three Floyd's in Munster, IN?

BEST TIMES.

RUB IT IN WHY DON'T YOU.

+1

Been there, but not on Dark Lord Day.