Anyone know of any low calorie IPA's??

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Please, for the love of all things good in the world, do not put ice or water in your IPA, people! Or any beer for that matter!!

Nothing beats an IPA, and I just make them fit in my calories... I mean, nobody NEEDS more than two IPAs at a time anyway (I may WANT more, we all do ... but if you're dedicated to your health and trying to lose weight, some times you may have to accept the fact that you aren't gonna be able to drink as many beers as you wish.)

Now here's the most important question for all: American or English style? I prefer English.
  • infamousmk
    Options
    anyone in the midwest ever go to Dark Lord Day at Three Floyd's in Munster, IN?

BEST TIMES.

Don't be like that. Not all of us can make it to DLD, okay??

But I do get to go to Great Divide whenever I want, so yay me.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    IPA are India Pale Ales and they are a thick darker beer. I love them but hate the calories they bring. One trick I have done it to get a glass with ice and put them in. It add water to it so it lasts longer and takes longer drink. Plus you are getting some hydration which will help flush out the beer better. With the darker beers they don't seem to water down with taste like a Bud Light or other beer.

IPAs are not a darker beer and they are not thicker. And adding ice cubes to beer is just wrooooooooooooooong.

Thank you.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Please, for the love of all things good in the world, do not put ice or water in your IPA, people! Or any beer for that matter!!

Nothing beats an IPA, and I just make them fit in my calories... I mean, nobody NEEDS more than two IPAs at a time anyway (I may WANT more, we all do ... but if you're dedicated to your health and trying to lose weight, some times you may have to accept the fact that you aren't gonna be able to drink as many beers as you wish.)

Now here's the most important question for all: American or English style? I prefer English.

English. I <3 English hops. Something about their dirt taste just makes beer awesome.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

English. I <3 English hops. Something about their dirt taste just makes beer awesome.

Fuggles FTW!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    IPA are India Pale Ales and they are a thick darker beer. I love them but hate the calories they bring. One trick I have done it to get a glass with ice and put them in. It add water to it so it lasts longer and takes longer drink. Plus you are getting some hydration which will help flush out the beer better. With the darker beers they don't seem to water down with taste like a Bud Light or other beer.

There are so many things wrong with this post that I don't even know where to start. :angry:

I didn't respond to it because I want to pretend it didn't happen.

Erggg! Dark, ice, thick . . . :angry:
  • infamousmk
    Options

We should gay marry.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Generally, the lower the % the lower the calories. So go for a 3.5% ale rather than a 5% ale etc.

My tactic is to get a big hike in during the day on Saturday - with a 1,500 calorie burn climbing a mountain I can have several pints of ale if I want afterwards... and I usually do!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options

Ice cubes in a beer? Are you serious? Yuck!
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    LOL...drinking them in moderation get's kinda hard when you're 2 in.... :drinker:

I have (2) $200 bottles of tenth anniversary limited edition 29% alc by volume Sam Adam's Utopia beer. I generally pour a few ounces and enjoy the flavor of this magnificent beast and then put the rest away for the another day. The bottles are not big and in the grand scheme of things I could wipe one or both out in one night. But I am an adult who appreciates a good beer, not a 15 year old that just raided my dad's beer fridge for a six pack of bud light, or as we in the beer world call it, piss. Point is, maybe you two should take the advice given numerous times here. Buy a good beer, drink in moderation, and appreciate a damn fine beer, vs some weak diet brew. If your husband really and truly loves a good IPA this is the only answer.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

English style, dry-hopped. My fiance is an American "If I could marry Cascade I would" hops guy, and he likes the hops so strong and wet-hopped that your tongue shrivels up...
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    In the spring/summer I'll do 40 bike rides so I can have an IPA!
  • infamousmk
    Options

English style, dry-hopped. My fiance is an American "If I could marry Cascade I would" hops guy, and he likes the hops so strong and wet-hopped that your tongue shrivels up...

I shall call him Pliny the Midwesterner.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I always drink in moderation....drink a couple, wait until I am thirsty, drink a couple more, repeat. Moderation at its finest.

I don't really like beer, so I definitely say find good beer that you like, and just drink 1 or 2 or 3...and make sure you exercised for it. Unless you are drinking every night...then I can't really help you there.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Did someone say IPA? What was this post about? I just heard IPA.

Seriously, though, I solve a similar problem with portions. When I'm out and want to have several IPAs, I go to a place that has 10oz size options. Not so much for calories, but so I don't fall over. :drinker:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    This is not an IPA, but I would do crazy things to the master brewer of Stone for a lifetime supply of this (if I weren't already happily married to a perfect beer aficionado, of course) ...

images_zps62a59eb9.jpeg

*sigh*
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    what is an IPA? sorry.. i'm new to this..

India Pale Ale...very yummy and hoppy beer...also very high in calories...but so worth it. These days, I tend to only have one beer when I'm drinking, then I switch to vodka and diet tonic. On that note, here's an awesome website:

http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

What.gif
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

I've always preferred American. Grapefruity citrusy fun. But I'm starting to try some English and seem to be taking a liking to them.

Can anyone suggest a commonly available representative beer?
  • infamousmk
    Options

I've always preferred American. Grapefruity citrusy fun. But I'm starting to try some English and seem to be taking a liking to them.

Can anyone suggest a commonly available representative beer?

Do you get Left Hand? Their 400 Pound Monkey is the best English IPA ever.