Vegetarians Live Longer and Healthier

Options

Replies

• RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of fascinated that most cancers are considered a 'lifestyle" disease. I'm pretty certain our oncologist will be interested to hear it.

Yes. It is unfortunate that most medical professionals aren't taught much about nutrition in medical school. There are even quite a few heart surgeons who don't realize that coronary artery disease can be reversed by diet. Doctors may be experts in what they do on a day to day basis, but that doesn't make them nutritional experts. Fortunately, there are many doctors who are aware of the role food plays in disease prevention and control. Some are working to change the rules so that doctors may learn about nutrition in medical school.

Nice way to dismiss what I said.

Certainly nutrition does impact disease, but to suggest that most cancers are 'lifestyle' diseases is at best simplistic, at worst, misleading.

And, just for the record, the oncologists I deal with also happen to be leading researchers in their fields at different major centers in the US, and they do actually support a holistic approach to healing, along with the formal accredited medical side.

Simply put, since I am a layman and not a researcher or even a college grad, there is a standing belief that there are many factors which will cause a person to get cancer (any cancer), some are known, most are not.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of fascinated that most cancers are considered a 'lifestyle" disease. I'm pretty certain our oncologist will be interested to hear it.

Yes. It is unfortunate that most medical professionals aren't taught much about nutrition in medical school. There are even quite a few heart surgeons who don't realize that coronary artery disease can be reversed by diet. Doctors may be experts in what they do on a day to day basis, but that doesn't make them nutritional experts. Fortunately, there are many doctors who are aware of the role food plays in disease prevention and control. Some are working to change the rules so that doctors may learn about nutrition in medical school.

Certainly nutrition does impact disease, but to suggest that most cancers are 'lifestyle' diseases is at best simplistic, at worst, misleading.

And, just for the record, the oncologists I deal with also happen to be leading researchers in their fields at different major centers in the US, and they do actually support a holistic approach to healing, along with the formal accredited medical side.

Simply put, since I am a layman and not a researcher or even a college grad, there is a standing belief that there are many factors which will cause a person to get cancer (any cancer), some are known, most are not.

Oh! I finally see what you are referring to. In my original post, I did refer to "most" cancers as being lifestyle diseases. I guess what I really meant was that the most common varieties of cancer (breast, prostate, colon, endometrial) are largely affected by diet far more than by genetics. Decades of research is now fairly conclusive that what we eat affects the development and growth rate of cancer. Clearly, cancer is far more complicated than that and eating a plant-based diet offers no guarantees, but the research is compelling enough to suggest in many instances that proper nutrition can be equally as effective as conventional treatment. Statistically, ones odds of developing these more common varieties diminishes significantly on a plant-based diet.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Clearly, cancer is far more complicated than that and eating a plant-based diet offers no guarantees, but the research is compelling enough to suggest in many instances that proper nutrition can be equally as effective as conventional treatment.

Posting that kind of claim in a 'Vegetarians Live Longer and Healthier' thread is INCREDIBLY misleading. That has a LOT more to do with eating a balanced diet than if you'll eat a burger or not.
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'll throw some fuel on the fire...

nigellagillian.jpg

I'll see your Nigella Lawson and raise you 70 year old vegan Annette Larkins.....

1206731_annette-larkins-veganka.jpg
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Do we really need another one of these threads? They never end well...

deadhorse_zps5987c866.jpg

Or eat it already

If one has recently visited a UK BK they already have.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Oh! I finally see what you are referring to. In my original post, I did refer to "most" cancers as being lifestyle diseases. I guess what I really meant was that the most common varieties of cancer (breast, prostate, colon, endometrial) are largely affected by diet far more than by genetics. Decades of research is now fairly conclusive that what we eat affects the development and growth rate of cancer. Clearly, cancer is far more complicated than that and eating a plant-based diet offers no guarantees, but the research is compelling enough to suggest in many instances that proper nutrition can be equally as effective as conventional treatment. Statistically, ones odds of developing these more common varieties diminishes significantly on a plant-based diet.

no. No. And no. There is no such proof. There are theories. It is not 100% fact. It also sounds like somebody watched a documentary.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    no. No. And no. There is no such proof. There are theories. It is not 100% fact. It also sounds like somebody watched a documentary.

A theory is when someone has developed a hypothesis, which has been tested many, many times, and is unable to be disproved. Therefore, it becomes a theory. Such as Newton's Theory of Relativity.

Sorry, pet peeve. People saying "It's only a theory" raises my scientific hackles.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    An intellectual argument here is impossible. If you refuse to look at the collective scientific evidence, and focus on one article out of a magazine, then there is nothing left to discuss.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    life without bacon is not a life lived.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I found this article to be encouraging, affirming and inspirational. I am so glad I adopted a plant-based diet. Hopefully, I too, can avoid the lifestyle diseases (coronary artery disease, type II diabetes, stroke, most cancers, alzheimers, and obesity) caused by the Standard American Diet.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/02/the-lovely-hill-where-people-live-longer-and-happier/272798/

"The death rate from cancer for Adventist men is 60 percent lower than that of the average California male; for Adventist women, it is 75 percent lower. According to Loma Linda University, ground zero in the Adventist Health Studies, "Death from coronary heart disease among Adventist men was 66 percent [lower compared to their California peers]; for Adventist women, it was 98 percent [lower]. Stroke death rates for Adventist men were 72 percent [lower], compared to their non-Adventist counterparts. For Adventist women, death from stroke was 82 percent [lower]."

Just because it's on the internet deoes not mean it's true.. most vegetarians do not get enough protein in their diets
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    How many of you kill your own food?

I haven't killed something recently, but I've raised my own cows, pigs and ducks for slaughter. I've also hunted and field dressed deer, turkeys etc.

I didn't get put on the top of the food chain for carrots. These pointy teeth are for meat.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options

nigellagillian.jpg

I'll see your Nigella Lawson and raise you 70 year old vegan Annette Larkins.....

All this proves is that genetics are the biggest determiner of aging... and diet can help but exercise is even more important to this factor... which the experts pretty much agree on, but carry on!
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Do we really need another one of these threads? They never end well...

deadhorse_zps5987c866.jpg

Or eat it already

If one has recently visited a UK BK they already have.

tumblr_mgqoagoRFE1r0vv2so1_500.jpg

flk-cc-seattle-municipal-archives-pike-place-horse-meat.gif

HORSE-MEAT-500x333.png
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    flk-cc-seattle-municipal-archives-pike-place-horse-meat.gif
    Oh dear, my parents shopped at the Pike Place Market in 1951, wonder how much horse meat I ate.:noway:
  • rm7161
    Options

Are you a doctor?

Actually, my aunt just died of lung cancer, and I am very sure it had nothing to do with anything she ate. Ever hear of cigarettes? Nooooo? They're made of plants too!

I am at high risk of colon cancer, and in my case (celiac) it is a plant based diet with wheat, barley and rye that predisposes me to the high risk (which was determined by my genetics). So wrong, again!

There are loads of carcinogens in plants (plants are trying NOT to be eaten most of the time, after all... unless its a body part it was trying to get you to eat, like fruit), with proper preparation you can reduce or eliminate their risks, but some plants are better off not being eaten by some people.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    khGszuD.jpg

VBMvcHu.jpg?1
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    khGszuD.jpg
    I love Ron!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

nigellagillian.jpg

Really? I'll take Nigella anyday over that skin and bones sickly looking Annette
  • rm7161
    Options

nigellagillian.jpg

Really? I'll take Nigella anyday over that skin and bones sickly looking Annette

What's the point anyway, this woman is 73 and eats egg whites and chicken for protein...

ht_ernestine_shepherd_100427_mn.jpg

Earnestine Shepherd is pretty awesome, and well... exercise is clearly where its at. Annette looks just fine to me, but genetics I'm sure is responsible for her skin quality. (her skin does look good to me... but diet is only a small part of that, not being overweight and drinking enough fluids, having a darker skin tone provides more protection from the sun than someone with fair skin (this is genetics), however you manage to stay at a healthy weight and staying fit, goes a long way to keeping things ok)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Given everything I've managed to live through already in my life, the rest of it, how ever many years, days, weeks, or hours that is, are going to be enjoyed.

Every morning, I get up and ask myself "Self? If this was your last day on Earth, what would you want to eat for breakfast?"

Self always responds "Well, if this was my last day on Earth, I'd like to eat some bacon."

Today, Self confused me and asked for toast. Very odd.

Bacon for lunch.

The answer to most questions is usually "bacon". :happy: