Vegetarians Live Longer and Healthier

Options
167891012»

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Who knew twinkies were the fountain of youth!

It's all the preservatives. :wink:
  • SpiritGem
    Options
    I will never go vegetarian. I was vegetarian for a full year. I did not in any way feel healthier/better. I dislike how so many vegetarians/vegans live by the idea that their lifestyle is better than everyone else's.
    I love animals.
    But I eat animals.
    And I always will eat animals.
    Now give me some darn bacon.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Each to their own...

I had a ham & lettuce sandwich for lunch today...twas delicious - just thought I'd share that :smile:
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi Pangui,
    I found this article to be encouraging, affirming and inspirational. I am so glad I adopted a plant-based diet. Hopefully, I too, can avoid the lifestyle diseases (coronary artery disease, type II diabetes, stroke, most cancers, alzheimers, and obesity) caused by the Standard American Diet.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/02/the-lovely-hill-where-people-live-longer-and-happier/272798/

"The death rate from cancer for Adventist men is 60 percent lower than that of the average California male; for Adventist women, it is 75 percent lower. According to Loma Linda University, ground zero in the Adventist Health Studies, "Death from coronary heart disease among Adventist men was 66 percent [lower compared to their California peers]; for Adventist women, it was 98 percent [lower]. Stroke death rates for Adventist men were 72 percent [lower], compared to their non-Adventist counterparts. For Adventist women, death from stroke was 82 percent [lower]."

Thanks for the article. Personally, I am very nearly vegetarian, having returned to a plant-based diet after about 25 years of meat eating. I am not strict but most of my meals during the week are vegetarian.
    I think its great and more people should adopt a well-balanced vegetarian diet.
    Having said that, I don't think there is a direct correlation between vegetarianism and better health. I have witnessed some people with eating disorders masking their condition as vegetarianism or veganism.
    kind regards,

Ben

Hi Ben,

You make a very good point and one that I would like to emphasize. This isn't about being "vegetarian" or "vegan". It's about eating healthier. I spent 14 years as a vegetarian/pescatarian and I was morbidly obese and my health was declining. Cheeses, fake cheeses, pre-packaged meals, fake meat products and artifical subsitutes does not constitute a healthy diet. What I am learning is that the closer we eat our food to its natural state, particularly plant foods, the better our bodies can utilize those nutrients. Foods like fruits, vegetables, starches, whole grains, nuts, seeds are delicious, satisfying and health promoting. While longevity may be a nice plus, the true benefit is feeling better every moment that we do have (quality versus quantity). I definitely feel at least 15 years younger than I did before I started eating better and the benefits were realized long before the weight came off. I love having lots of energy that I never had before.

Hi Pengui,

I couldn't agree more.
    And that is precisely the dietary profile of what I am returning to. Combined with my exercise regime, I haven't felt this healthy and vital for decades.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • nld410
    nld410 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As a vegitarian how to you get 30-40% of calories of protien? Pm

Believe it or not, vegetables have protein, so do whole grains, dairy (if you are a dairy-eating vegetarian, like me) beans, tofu, nuts, seeds.......
  • nld410
    Options
    I will never go vegetarian. I was vegetarian for a full year. I did not in any way feel healthier/better. I dislike how so many vegetarians/vegans live by the idea that their lifestyle is better than everyone else's.
    I love animals.
    But I eat animals.
    And I always will eat animals.
    Now give me some darn bacon.

I do not believe that as a vegetarian I have the right to judge anyone else. However, there are certain benefits for health, the environment, etc. that cannot be denied.
  • nld410
    Options
    Hi Pangui,
    I found this article to be encouraging, affirming and inspirational. I am so glad I adopted a plant-based diet. Hopefully, I too, can avoid the lifestyle diseases (coronary artery disease, type II diabetes, stroke, most cancers, alzheimers, and obesity) caused by the Standard American Diet.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/02/the-lovely-hill-where-people-live-longer-and-happier/272798/

"The death rate from cancer for Adventist men is 60 percent lower than that of the average California male; for Adventist women, it is 75 percent lower. According to Loma Linda University, ground zero in the Adventist Health Studies, "Death from coronary heart disease among Adventist men was 66 percent [lower compared to their California peers]; for Adventist women, it was 98 percent [lower]. Stroke death rates for Adventist men were 72 percent [lower], compared to their non-Adventist counterparts. For Adventist women, death from stroke was 82 percent [lower]."

Thanks for the article. Personally, I am very nearly vegetarian, having returned to a plant-based diet after about 25 years of meat eating. I am not strict but most of my meals during the week are vegetarian.
    I think its great and more people should adopt a well-balanced vegetarian diet.
    Having said that, I don't think there is a direct correlation between vegetarianism and better health. I have witnessed some people with eating disorders masking their condition as vegetarianism or veganism.
    kind regards,

Ben

Hi Ben,

You make a very good point and one that I would like to emphasize. This isn't about being "vegetarian" or "vegan". It's about eating healthier. I spent 14 years as a vegetarian/pescatarian and I was morbidly obese and my health was declining. Cheeses, fake cheeses, pre-packaged meals, fake meat products and artifical subsitutes does not constitute a healthy diet. What I am learning is that the closer we eat our food to its natural state, particularly plant foods, the better our bodies can utilize those nutrients. Foods like fruits, vegetables, starches, whole grains, nuts, seeds are delicious, satisfying and health promoting. While longevity may be a nice plus, the true benefit is feeling better every moment that we do have (quality versus quantity). I definitely feel at least 15 years younger than I did before I started eating better and the benefits were realized long before the weight came off. I love having lots of energy that I never had before.

You can absolutely be a vegetarian and eat like poop. Doritos and oreos are vegetarian. Jus' sayin.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Ouch, OP, unfortunately, meat eaters will argue till they're blue in the face with this one.

Come on over to these groups -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/62-happy-herbivores

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/236-mfp-vegetarians
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

I do not believe that as a vegetarian I have the right to judge anyone else. However, there are certain benefits for health, the environment, etc. that cannot be denied.

That statement is not true, or maybe I should say the implication of that statement is false. If you compare vegetarian to the Standard American Diet "SAD" yes there are certain health benefits. But if you compare it to a healthy omnivorous diet there is no benefit to being vegetarian. And as for environment, there is no environmental benefits to living the vegetarian life. In fact if you compare sustainable farming practices to sustainable livestock ranching, I would argue the veggies have a greater negative impact on the environment.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Ouch, OP, unfortunately, meat eaters will argue till they're blue in the face with this one.

Come on over to these groups -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/62-happy-herbivores

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/236-mfp-vegetarians

And so will veggie eaters, so what is your point?