500 calories burned a day?? Really???

Options

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Ok so its ok if you lose 500 calories per day . I myself do that by jogging on the treadmill for like an hour. I only eat 800 calories per day and I feel really fine. Its recommended that i should eat like 1200 calories per day but I am not gonna cause i really need to lose 3 kgs fast. I dont eat sweets only dark chocolate but not too much. Trust me, its ok to lose 500 per day. You are gonna get in shape and remember to do some toning after you lose as much as you want to.

uses first post to bump and old thread with ridiculous unhealthy advice?
    Troll_Detected_by_Hunter_Flood.png
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ok so its ok if you lose 500 calories per day . I myself do that by jogging on the treadmill for like an hour. I only eat 800 calories per day and I feel really fine. Its recommended that i should eat like 1200 calories per day but I am not gonna cause i really need to lose 3 kgs fast. I dont eat sweets only dark chocolate but not too much. Trust me, its ok to lose 500 per day. You are gonna get in shape and remember to do some toning after you lose as much as you want to.

uses first post to bump and old thread with ridiculous unhealthy advice?
    Troll_Detected_by_Hunter_Flood.png
    Nah, just a naive child.
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! So, I am just updating those that have posted to this forum and really anyone interested....well, back in February when I wrote this, I was a different person. I feel that I was looking at 500 calories and thinking HELL NO!! I CAN'T DO THAT!!!! But, just last night, I went to the gym and did 77 minutes of cardio and burned 715 calories. (I now have a Polar HRM to tell me) and I left the gym thinking..yes, that was a sweet workout but nothing out of the ordinary. It is funny how your mind plays games with your body and when you push yourself, you REALLY CAN do more than what you thought. I am at a point where if I don't burn 500 calories per day, I feel weird and a bit bloated to be honest with you. So, thank you to everyone who posted and for those of you wondering the same thing as me....push yourself and you will do it!!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    High intensity circuit training workouts for me burn about 400-500 calories in 30 minutes working out with sandbags, kettlebells, and weighted speed rope.
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    I weight 96kg (211 roughly), and I burn around 1000 calories when running a 10k on the treadmill. I'm also 6'2", so that probably helps.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I can burn 500 on the elliptical. I go 5 miles and it takes me an hour. I use the arms and go forward 1 mile, then backwards w/o using any hands just balancing, then foward, then back, then forward. By the time I get off I'm a sweaty mess. The weight has FALLEN OFF since I've started doing that.
  • JakhaariKiaana
    Options
    I started Monday working out for an hour on the treadmill or elyptical with an incline of 10 or higher at 3.5mph. The cool thing is Ive been burning 600 cal by doing this. This is working smarter because before Id run at 5.0mph for 30-45 min and Id be too tired to go an hour so Id only burn 300 cal. 3.5 is definitely a great speed for me! Cant wait to see results!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I work in a 9-5 job during the week and typically go running after work. I will burn 500 calories from around 25 minutes running.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I burn around a 1000 calories a day, but that's from between 90 and 120 minutes of swimming a day, usually 5-6 times a week.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I am looking for some feedback from people who are burning 500 calories working out everyday (or even used to but don't anymore)....is this realistic?
    It depends what you're doing at the gym. When doing my weights burns about that much in about 45 minutes - 1 hour and running/walking on the treadmill would also get you up to that in an hour or so. So yes, it could be realistic if you do those type of things but everyone is different and burns different amounts for different things.
    Do you eat more on days where you burn 500 calories?
    No, if you go by the TDEE method you don't have to, if you do it by the MFP they want you to.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I am looking for some feedback from people who are burning 500 calories working out everyday (or even used to but don't anymore)....is this realistic?
    Not everyday, but I can easily burn 500 calories when I ice skate briskly for 45 minutes non-stop with a 1 - 2 minute standing up water break. I try to go several times a week.
    Do you eat more on days where you burn 500 calories?
    I have to since brisk ice skating is very intense. When I was losing weight I tried to not eat back the calories but my body quickly told me that was not going to work.
  • thevoice1973
    thevoice1973 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Actually seems pretty easy. I average 500-600 calories burned a day just in cardio. 45-60 minutes of stationary bike, 34km/h average speed (about 21 mph), resistance set to about 2/3 of maximum on our bike model. Note that I raced bikes for several years, so I don't have any issues doing it 5 days a week (sometimes 6, if I feel sluggish on a Saturday morning! Keeps you energized all day after a morning ride!). And to answer the original question, no I do not consume more calories because I work out, but try to keep a 100-175 calorie deficit from diet alone (my MFP daily goal amount is 1990 for 0.5kg a week loss) and then add a 500 calorie deficit in exercise. It gives me two days of rest a week and has been easy to maintain.

I've also been using an activity tracker for the last couple years (stated with a Jawbone UP and when it died, I replaced it with a Withings Pulse). I take public transport to work (I leave the car for my wife) and average ~8500-10000 steps a day, from walking in the morning, at lunch and coming back in the evening (although I don't count that in any of my activity, just as bonus exercise!)

Keep in mind that I believe that some people on calorie deficits forget that the quality of the calories they do consume is really important to properly fuel the body. More than enough people have commented on it so I won't list them here. And another factor about cardio that has eluded a lot of users here; general cardiac health. I may still be overweight (have 11 kg to go) but my average resting heart rate is 57bpm with an average blood pressure of 118/76!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    If I run I can burn 500 calories in about 40-45 minutes depending on terrain and how hard I'm running. Right now my workouts are mostly treadmill runs except for machines a couple days a week.

I'm on a 1400 calorie budget so the exercise gets me up to having an amount of food I like eating.

4:45 get out of bed
    5:00 eat breakfast and start getting ready for work
    5:45 leave for work
    7:00 arrive at work
    9:30 snack
    12:00 lunch
    2:30 snack
    3:30 drive home
    5:15 arrive at gym for workout
    6:10 arrive home have dinner
    9:30 dessert
    10:30 bed

Thats during the week, if weather permits I'll walk at lunch for a couple miles
    Fridays I don't go to the gym so I have to eat lighter meals and snacks

Weekends I try to hit the gym or the roads by sunrise and finish my run or workout before my wife and daughter are up so we have the entirety of our weekend days together (unless I have a race)

That all being said 500 calorie burn every day is totally doable in under an hour if you do the right exercises and probably under an hour and a half otherwise and nothing says you need to do it all at once, just over the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I burn 500 or so for an hour of steady cycling...more if I do a hard ride or if I trail ride. On Wednesdays I usually do a good 60 minute steady ride at lunch and then hit the weight room in the evening...I'll burn between 700-800 on those days.

I use the TDEE method so an estimate of my exercise is already included in my activity level and I eat the same calories roughly day in and day out. Some days I'm a bit under maintenance and some days I'm in a surplus...but at the end of the week it all evens out.

If you're using the MFP method then your exercise is not accounted for in your calorie goals (which is already a big deficit from your theoretical maintenance) so you're supposed to eat back those calories....you just have to be sure you are not overestimating burn which is what a lot of people do.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I burn roughly 500 ech day just sycling too and from work. If I add a run as well, say 30-40 minutes later that day, i can add another 400+ (depending on how quick I am).

MFP is said to be on the generous side, so I tend to leave some of these uneaten, but on a running day I'll definitely eat something extra.
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It's funny that people are writing on here again because.....a year ago that seemed impossible and now I can burn 500 EASILY.....the other day I ran on the treadmill for 60 minutes (NSV for me) and burned 813 calories! What a great feeling!
  • phillipedes
    Options
    It's easy when you've got a rhythm going! Find some killer cardio, that's what really burns the most, then add in a quick weigh-training session and some form of sport or exercise for fun. I've burned between 400 - 600 calories per day, consistently, with this formula... Or, skip the weights or sports, and just hop on the elliptical/treadmill for an hour.

One hour on the elliptical burns 670 calories at 130 pounds.... so I would say hit that elliptical or treadmill, girl. An hour FLIES by once you get a good pace and have music or a magazine/book.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Circuit training at a very high intensity makes it easy to burn 100-125 calories per 10 minutes. Circuit training is absolute nuts on calorie burns, at least ACTUAL circuit training is. Not what comes on DVDs labeled as circuit training.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    From reading all the posts it appears burning 500 calories a day is most reasonable
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It depends on your intensity and weight. Earing a heart rate monitor and being honest with yourself, were you at a moderate or high intensity helps. I know that if I run for 45 minutes I can burn 500 or hike for close to 90 minutes, I can burn 500. Or if I jump rope for 40-45 minutes, or if I swim for around 45-55 minutes with the front crawl or butterfly, or if I water jog for 55-60 minutes. Also, kickboxing for 45-50 minutes. Additionally, if I take a 1 hr spin class or go ride my bike on a train I could probably do it in 50-60 minutes. Likewise, if I went rollerblading for 45-60 minutes or did a circuit- run on treadmill with a slight incline for 20, do the rowing machine for 20, and play with the resistance on the bike or elliptical for 20 or did the elliptical for 20, I could make that goal or exceed i.e. heard doing kettle bells for 20 minutes, and then maybe jumping rope or doing the bike for 20, could easily make that mark.