500 calories burned a day?? Really???

Options
15678911»

Replies

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    When I first started my diet I was 428 pounds today I'm 418. Every other day I walk 3 or 4 thirty min walks and burn between 800-1000. Also find a good walking stick and go into the woods today I found a grove of muscadines. Picking them burned hundreds of calories.
  • JenNorrid
    Options
    When I run I tend to burn about 500 calories (5 miles).

Weight training burns less - about 300

I workout three days a week right now with weights and try to add that 4th day of running only...but do not always get there due to being so sore.

i eat based on TDEE so I only eat back caloreis if my net drops below my BMR
  • JenNorrid
    Options
    Do you have a set weights workout?? I'm and clueless when it comes to them and need help. I'd like to tone everything, but my arms are my worst feature, everything else is hidden under clothes for the most part, although any tips or routins you can pass along would be AWESOME

Also what is TDEE??
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine! I am usually a runner but have plantar fasciitis so I have been doing weights and rowing. I easily burn 500 or more a day. When I run I run at least 6 miles 4-5 days a week with at least one 10 plus miler and those workouts are 700-1200 calories burned. I honestly don't know what I burn when I am lifting weights but I make sure to hit the rowing machine for at least 30-60 minutes a day so I at least know some of the calories I am burning. If you put in a moderate effort on the rower you are looking at 600-800 calories per hour.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Orange Theory, which you wear a heart rate monitor that is tracked throughout the class, typically burns 450-480 for me, and I'm pretty small to begin with. It's a little less than an hour and a great workout!
  • NetflixAndChocolate
    Options
    I would regularly do over 500 in the gym. The treadmill says so,and so does MFP. I would eat most of them. Only because its early days yet. Just want to get used to eating less first.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Return of the zombie thread!

I burn 500 calories a day on average, between running (8:00 miles), cycling (16-18 mph on flat terrain), and walking/hiking. It takes me on average over an hour a day, though (less when running, more when hiking). Unless you're heavy (I'm 155 lb.) or going a lot faster than I am, you're not going to burn much more. MFP and many cardio machines grossly overestimate calorie burns.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    i can burn 1,000+ in an hour. But who cares? It all depends on your weight/height
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I burn 1000 calories plus a day doing zumba and T25. It is possible. I do my t25 first thing in the moring, walk to work and then come home and do zumba 6 days a week
  • sunshinechristal
    Options
    On days I go to the gym, I can easily burn nearly 1000 calories with weight training and cardio. On those days, and all days, I keep my calories the same. I make sure to eat right after I leave though. Good carbs and lean protein, healthy fats.
  • I would probably burn that amount if not more. I walk 25 - 30 mins to work and 25 - 30 minutes home... My fitness pal tells me that is close to 100 calories a walk. I am a office assistant so I walk around a lot during the day so I do not track it. Then I go to the gym and do a hr of weight and cardio training... 10 mins on the cross trainer = over 100 calories in the way that my trainers get me to do it.

On my days off the gym I go walking or on hikes etc... it is so easy to burn 500 + calories a day!
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm on a Masters swim team and tonight, I burned about 510 calories just swimming with the team for an hour. I'm only 5'0" and weigh 118 lbs so it's not like I burn an unusual amount of calories. So, yes, 500 calories a workout is reasonable. I've seen others who are bigger than me do the same work and burn over 600 calories in an hour.

A lot of it depends on a person's body mass and weight. Someone with only 20% body fat is going to burn more calories just breathing than a person of the same sex, height and weight but with 30% body fat. Someone who weighs 300 lbs is going to burn a lot more calories just breathing than someone of the same sex and height but who weighs only 150 lbs.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I burn about 500 cals per hour of moderate to vigorous cardio. It's possible.
  • NYfirefighter
    Options
    I burn 300 calories or more each day just by walking an hour at around 4mph (my average speed is 4.5mph and if I really wanna push myself I can walk a 25 miler at 5mph)
    and with calisthenics I can easily burn 100 for every 15 minutes

and on days when I'm actualy walking (the hour a day is just my daily routine), depending on distance, terain and weight of my ruck I can go through anything from 1000 to 2500 + burned just by walking and the longer I walk the less I can actually eat
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    us overweight swimmers burn 500+ per hour swimming.
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    According to MFP and Fitbit, on my gym days (brisk 30 minute walk to the gym (carrying an 8lb rucksack!), 40 minutes cardio, 20 minutes lifting, 40-60mins in the pool, slightly less brisk 30 minute walk back) I can burn over 1000cals. However, I'm aware that's probably an overestimate so I reckon it's more like 500. I'm 5' 7" and weigh 169lbs right now. I'm getting a heart rate monitor soon so look forward to seeing what a more accurate measurement says. I'm slightly worried that, as I lose more weight it, will be more difficult to get such big calorie burns but I guess I'll just have to work harder :-) .