1.5 million calories in 775 days.

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
That's about what I've consumed in the past 775 days on My Fitness Pal. The first six months, while I was losing weight, I ate about 1350-1600 plus exercise calories, for a total of about 1700-2000+. I'm currently eating between 2000-2300 when I log my food, and a little more on weekends when I don't log. I've been maintaining a little over a year and a half. Let's just say an average of 2000 a day for the past 2+ years.

I love it. :heart: LOVE! :heart: I never thought it could be this way. I thought I had to deprive myself and starve to lose weight. Holy frickin' crap, was I wrong! I still eat (and ate while losing) pizza, pasta, bagels, potatoes, garlic bread... pretty much whatever I want, with an eye on my macros. I'm talking award winning eating.

goodeater_zps599ec9ec.jpg

I was wrong about a lot of things. I thought the number on the scale mattered. My progress wasn't always linear. I gained a few here and there, lost some more, gained a few more, etc. No official bulk and cut cycles, just periods of more mojo than others. Flu? No mojo. Halloween coming up? Lots of mojo! But I'm able to wear the same clothes, so I don't give a flying fart what that number says any more.

Seriously. I'm like 100 pounds MORE in the second photo here!!!

style-rut_zps3686b6d3.jpg

No, but really... the scale means diddly. I was 14 years old and 110 pounds when I bought these absolutely hideous jeans in 1986. I kept them even when they didn't fit. I kept them when I thought the only way they'd ever fit again is if I got the plague. But I'm 25 pounds heavier now, my lean mass ALONE is about 110 pounds, and they fit again. Not saying I'm going to WEAR them, but I could if I wanted to burn out someone's retinas.

aIMG_5566.jpg

I was about 120 pounds ten years ago, when I had really bad TMJ problems and couldn't open my mouth or chew normally. I'm about 15 pounds more than that now.

P6170004-copy.jpg

I was six pounds more in the same Halloween costume this year as last.

valkyrie.jpg

And I rocked the hell out of this costume that I made and last wore as a 110 pound 19 year old.

jeanie-copy.jpg

Or I could just illustrate it here with this timeline. I look a lot different at 135 now than I did when I first got to 135 in June of 2011.

fb-cover.jpg

And you know why? That other thing I was wrong about. Strength training. I didn't think it would make me bulky or look like a man. I was more worried, as someone without boobage, that it would make me look like a boy. I may not be the curviest woman on the planet, but I sure as hell ain't no boy. And my mind is still blown by what a difference switching to free weights did.

IMG_1293-copy.jpg

IMG_1288-copy.jpg

IMG_1297-copy.jpg

And I have some more crow to eat, too. (Tastes like chicken?) I thought to look, feel and be able to do the things I do (run a sub 25 minute 5k, bench press 75% of my body weight, overhead press more than 50% of my body weight, squat and deadlift 1.2x my body weight), I'd have to practically LIVE in the gym.

You know what? I don't even BELONG to a gym. I run outside, typically three times a week (30-60 minutes each time), and lift at home, with weights I picked up on sale at Sears and Dick's, often while watching Ellen, three times a week for about 30-45 minutes. All told, I typically exercise less then 4 hours a week. About the same amount of time I devote to watching the Daily Show and Colbert Report. Probably less time than I used to spend playing Farmville on Facebook. Definitely less time than I spend on these highly addictive forums.

So, if you want my advice, not that you asked for it... don't make this too hard on yourself.

You don't need to cut calories to the bare minimum. You don't need to cut out foods you love, either. Just eat a healthy balance of mostly whole foods.

Don't look at exercise like a burden or punishment, think of it as a way to show your body and mind that you care enough to do things that might not be all that pleasant. Just like flossing your teeth. No one LIKES flossing. You do it anyway. Because you're an adult. Treat exercise the same way. Eventually, you might even come to enjoy it.

Be patient. It's not a linear process. You'll hit snags and roadblocks and detours. Just keep plugging at it, and you'll make progress.

Don't get hung up on that scale. You're not the same person you were in high school, before kids, whenever... but you can still be as awesome as ever.

And most importantly... keep an open mind. As the saying goes, if you keep doing what you've always done, you'll get the results you've always gotten. Realize that you might be wrong about... well, damn near everything. I know I was, and I'm thrilled to death that I was proven wrong!

Replies

• sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    WOW< WOW<WOW

You are Awesome. I have recently started Stronglifts 5 x 5 and am beginning to realise that I may not actually get to my target weight as the scales have slowed down, but the inches are falling away and my body fat % is dropping. Your pics have helped me to realise that this is no bad thing and I am now convinced that I can be a smaller size whilst still weighing more than I originally wanted to get to.

Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!! Amazing!!!
  • MyPsalm63
    Options
    Awesome
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You're one of my favorite people Lorina.
    That's why I refer people to your pics for strength training.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Wow.

:drinker:
  • tanterror
    tanterror Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I love reading your story again and again:flowerforyou:

it never gets old.
  • Janie_May
    Janie_May Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Absolutely loved this post! Such a striking example of the scale not being the be-all, end-all measure of success. The difference between your pics in jeans (leaner and fitter at 134# than at 120#) is remarkable. And what a RELIEF to see it can be achieved with such a balanced approach toward calorie consumption and weekly exercise. Congrats and thank you!
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Your pictures make it clear how much it can help to be in physical-muscular shape. I'm sure that part of it is your wonderful, relaxed attitude.

I love MFP! Who knew that a site of people working toward common goals could share so much information and help us realize how much we can take charge of our lives so that we enjoy them.

You are a perfect example of what this is all about. Thanks for taking the time to post and explain. You rock!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    11vmasy.jpg
  • leighanne1941
    leighanne1941 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think I have read your success story a dozen times but every time is different and I love it :)
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • gldlx7
    gldlx7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Awesome achievement and message!
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

You are an MFP hero(ine)!!!
  • GetHotIn2014
    GetHotIn2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    WONDERFUL POST! Congrats! You look hot as hell! =)
  • leenie96
    Options
    INCREDIBLE
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    So freakin kickarse! Everything you say: YES. Congratulations on changing your mind and body.
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. :)

Thank you for posting your story with all the pics. So incredibly encouraging. :flowerforyou:

ps: Those little red & plaid getups are adorable. :)
  • boogiewoogiekar
    Options
    Great story!! Keep it up. I had a question about how many calories to eat a day and you just answered it for me. You are an inspiration. Thanks for all the encouraging words.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Your 1 sexy milf!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!