Women, losing weight eating 1700+ calories?

Options

Replies

• c2jvintage
    c2jvintage Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if anyone is still following this thread but I have my results. I ate between 1700 and 2000 calories per day with a couple days out of the past two months being " go crazy" days... I lost 12 pounds in two months, doing Insanity and some 30DS/RI30. The last few weeks I took out the Jillian DVDs, because I was just too busy. Now I am doing a P90x/Insanity hybrid with some random cardio mixed in. Only 50 or so days until our honeymoon, I would love to lose about 10 more pounds, but don't know if it is going to happen. I loooove being able to eat that many calories and still lose! Hope everyone else keeps up the great work. Love hearing the stories!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Scooby puts my maintenance around 1900, and a loss of .8 lb / week around 1600. I've been hitting about half a pound a week loss but I am also averaging 1600 - 1700 when the numbers are in.

1900 is a little high but if you are active then try it for a month and see how it goes. You can always cut it down.
  • nursek_2010
    nursek_2010 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump! :flowerforyou:
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I lose weight on 2200 calories a day. Bulk on 3000.
  • HealthyLisa81
    Options
    Just wondering how your going, still eating 1700+

:smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 23, 5'4" and around 160 pounds. I work as a teacher. For exercise I do 30DS in the morning and Insanity after work. I am looking to weigh between 135-145. I have been doing the TDEE-20% (Exercise at 3-5 hours per week, which with 30DS and Insanity probably is correct/low). I figured my TDEE on Scooby's Calculator then subtracted 20%. That put my at around 1900 per day. I usually eat between 1700 and 1900 per day. This past week, I lost a pound or so, but am worried it could just be a fluke. I feel like 1900 calories are too much to lose weight. Have any women lost weight eating calories like this? Also, do you think the activity level is right? Thanks in advance! :)

Read the bold part and congratulate yourself. Now keep doing what you're doing and be patient. A pound a week is great!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate 2300 calories and managed to have a 250 calorie deficit (I use a BodyMedia Fit), so yes, it's possible.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I lost at about 1700 calories when I was overweight. I'm older than you and more sedentary so it makes sense that you would lose on 1900.
  • chelazar88
    chelazar88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Good for you for looking into this wonderful healthy eating lifestyle!! It can take time to show results, but heres the thing. TDEE - 20% with cardio and lifting weights is about FAT LOSS not WEIGHT LOSS. You might not see the scale move mountains, but you will see inches lost! Im 5'6, 260lbs. I've only lost 20lbs since starting this a few months ago, but i've lost prolly 20-25 inches overall. I weight train at the same time so I dont lose on the scale, I lose on the tape measure. Down 2 shirt sizes and 1 pants size. Clothes fit better and look better on me. I also have some muscles going on! Thank you squats and hello biceps :) Its a long road ahead for me, but this program really does work!!!
  • megan606
    megan606 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm 5'1 29 and 104kg I have been eating around 1500 cals a day but I seem to be losing nothing I'm terribly confused with the whole bmr thing I think I'm not eating enough but how much is enough :/ so confused
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 29 and 104kg I have been eating around 1500 cals a day but I seem to be losing nothing I'm terribly confused with the whole bmr thing I think I'm not eating enough but how much is enough :/ so confused

At you're height and weight 1500 isn't unreasonable. If you are losing, don't change anything.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I lose a half pound a week by eating around 2000 calories a day. I'm 5'9" and 158lbs.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Do you weigh/measure/log everything you eat? If you don't weigh with a food scale, you are likely off on your portions/calories.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

How long have you been doing this?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate 2300 calories and had around a 250 calorie deficit. As long as you burn more than you eat you'll lose weight.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I maintain on about 2500 calories.
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Tropicoolblonde Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    I lost weight eating 2000-2200 calories a day. I'm quite a bit taller than you (5'9"), but I'm also a lot older (41). I went from 202 down to 136 pounds and have been maintaining that since last June. Maintenance calories are typically 2300-2500 for me.

Losing weight on 1700 calories seems perfectly reasonable at your height/weight/activity level. :smile:

no way you are 41!! I thought you were late 20s-early 30s...

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 131 lbs, 41 y/o female, and my TDEE (running 3x/wk and doing my physical therapy home program 2x/wk, plus 10k+ steps every day) seemed to be right around 1700-1900 per day. I was maintaining at that level, with minor fluctuations.

I just shifted to recomp so we'll see if the change in exercise routine (strength 3x/wk and some combo of running, HIIT and swimming 2-3x/wk) affects my maintenance calories.
  • aeshippers
    aeshippers Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight eating between 1700 and 2100 per day depending on exercise calories for that day. I am still losing about 2.5lbs a month even though I am only 5'4 and now weigh about 135lbs, I know this loss is fairly slow but as I am now close to goal I am happy with this and like me food too much to want to cut calories much further. :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    DebiS1972 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, but TDEE works out/guesses at your BMR. As I know mine exactly as I have had it tested, it means that I can use that figure...so on scoobys site it guesses my BMR is 1208 but it is actually 1770.(this is the amount of cals I need to just survive) so the TDEE thing doesn't work out right for me unless I use my BMR and then even when I look at his results, that is what I was doing a few weeks ago when I still wasn't losing.

TDEE is what your body needs to maintain your weight it does take into account BMR but it also takes into account your exercise/daily activities,etc. BMR is what your body burns just by being alive with NO exercise. if your BMR is 1770 you would not want to eat below that(if you are severely obese you may be able to for a short time). so are you sedentary or not?

are you weighing your food on a food scale? if not you could be eating more than you think, its not hard to do trust me. if you are eating maintenance calories (TDEE) then you wont lose weight you will maintain the same weight. you need to figure out what your TDEE is(not BMR) and subtract 15-20% from that. If your TDEE is 2200 I doubt you would be considered sedentary. Im active and mine runs between 2200-2500,when Im sedentary its between 1600-2000