CONFUSED

Options

Replies

• Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It's rather aggravating that anyone considers housework or shopping to be "working out" worthy of calorie burn logging. I'm not even sure why it's part of the cardio section at all, to be honest, and it can and does confuse people at first. Those kinds of burns (because yes, you DO burn) falls under your TDEE, or Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Everything that we do burns calories over the course of the day, but if you factor in burns that are supposed to be in this category separately, you're screwing up your totals for the day and making things more complicated.

Keep it simple-- if you work up a true sweat, log it. If you don't, don't! And if your sweating is part of your daily job, and therefore part of the Activity Level Modifier that you choose when determining your BMR and TDEE, then don't count that as a separate burn. Easy peasy. Good luck, and feel free to add me, I promise I will never jump down your throat if you have questions like others on these forums love to do.
    By this reasoning (only record workouts that make you "work up a true sweat") then the 45 minutes I put in on a Gazelle don't qualify as exercise worth logging, despite getting my heart rate up for the majority of that time, simply because it's not making the sweat pour out of me.

Is that what you're saying?

No, I'm not. I guess you didn't see the person who responded to me challenging my use of "sweat" for judging a workout's merit-- I already admitted that it was poor word choice on my part. The important thing when exercising is getting to your target heart rate and staying there, whatever the activity. I don't often sweat while walking or jogging either, but I log it because it boosts my heart rate.
  • djnosy1
    djnosy1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    unless you have sedentary as your activity level, logging activities such as housework is just going to make you eat more calories than you need in the day, and squander your weight loss efforts. every day things like housework are part of normal burn in a "lightly active" person
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

I've always done the same house work whether I was 170 pounds or 300 pounds. I didn't get fat by not cleaning my house.
    [/quote]

My house is a mess.
    I am losing by not cleaning my house and going outside for a jog or to the gym.
  • Beastx10
    Options
    Stop logging 10 minutes of housework. That's not exercise.

Oooh the negativity! The "ten" minutes was just a "for-instance" not actual time as I couldn't remember if it was an hour I did or not. But thank you for the response.

There was no negativity. It was fact.

But I clearly don't know what I'm talking about and you obviously didn't actually want any real answers so good luck to you in your weight loss goals.

Just looking for reasons to be rude! I've seen this in your other posts.
    Don't try to "act" like you were helping.
  • Beastx10
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor so you can more accurately record calorie burns.
    I recommend the Polar FT7.

This would be more accurate. I don't know how accurate MFP claories are, some just seem off....
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Oooh the negativity! The "ten" minutes was just a "for-instance" not actual time as I couldn't remember if it was an hour I did or not. But thank you for the response.

But I clearly don't know what I'm talking about and you obviously didn't actually want any real answers so good luck to you in your weight loss goals.

I've seen her other posts too. She's one of the more helpful, straightforward people on MFP.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor so you can more accurately record calorie burns.
    I recommend the Polar FT7.

This would be more accurate. I don't know how accurate MFP claories are, some just seem off....

HRM is not going to be accurate for cleaning & packing either. It's really only accurate for steady state aerobic activity.
  • HollyHobbitToes
    HollyHobbitToes Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think that anything outside the realm of your normal day to day activity could be logged...for instance, when I cleaned out the closets and lugged boxes up and down the stairs for two hours I think I logged it as like 30 minutes or something...I was sweating so I logged it...or if I completely tear apart my living room and scrub the floors and then change the furniture around, I will log it...

If your activity level is set to sedentary I suppose you could log some stuff but even then, not everything should be logged....and althugh I don't have a HRM it might be a good idea....i just can't afford one so I go by my phone tracker for walking and running and my stationary bike calories burned amount....it is always lower than MFP....use your better judgement :)
  • KJSTDevoe
    KJSTDevoe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom, I log housework. It is physical activity. I also use the Strive app, which logs every step I take (a pedometer for you iphone).
  • KJSTDevoe
    KJSTDevoe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    unless you don't eat the calories burned. willpower, you dont have to consume what you burn.
  • adriennepaolini
    Options
    Ok sweating is not indicative of burning calories. Unless you sit and sweat or sweat when you breath and so on. House cleaning is usually full body reaching for this bending and picking up that pulling garbage, and so on.
    If you are running the vacuum around for ten minutes since most are self propelled no that is not a work out. But scrubbing the floor, mopping, cleaning walls and so on count. If you feel it is cheating then don't log it.
  • Beastx10
    Options

:noway: you are probably one of her friends then

I've seen her other posts too. She's one of the more helpful, straightforward people on MFP.
    LMAO :noway:
  • taso42
    Options

:noway: you are probably one of her friends then

better than a barrage of emoticons
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/by_user/37037840?page=2
  • WannaBLoser2013
    Options

It burns calories. You have to log any activity that burns calories as you are counting calories in versus calories out.
  • Beastx10
    Options

at least it wasn't insulting and that was a friend of mine and an "inside Joke" so what!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

It burns calories. You have to log any activity that burns calories as you are counting calories in versus calories out.

But housework is already included in our "lifestyle" calories. Did you even read the thread?

I can understand logging ten minutes of moving furniture and running heavy boxes up to the attic, but I saw someone log "folding towels" once and about lost my mind. I've seen "cooking" too. Sitting on the couch folding towels and standing at the stove mixing things is NOT EXERCISE.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    And anyone who logs stuff like that just to see numbers and feel motivated is doing themselves a disservice. Later that month, when they wonder why they've lost a half-pound in four weeks, it'll be because they logged 400 calories of housework, cooking, and brushing their teeth every single day.
  • taso42
    Options

at least it wasn't insulting and that was a friend of mine and an "inside Joke" so what!

This was insulting: Just looking for reasons to be rude! I've seen this in your other posts.
  • Beastx10
    Options

This was insulting: Just looking for reasons to be rude! I've seen this in your other posts.

whatever dude, is she your mom or something. Get over it.
  • taso42
    Options
    creative use of the "your mom" card. nicely done. :drinker: