FAT PEOPLE CAN BE AS HEALTHY AS THIN PEOPLE

Options
http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2012/12/31/evidence-that-fat-people-can-be-as-healthy-as-thin-people/

This article was very encouraging. It's all about the lifestyle change. Certainly it is important to lose the weight for a lot of reasons (like stress on knees, making more money, a better self-image).

Also, the survery says nothing to quality of life or the fact that obese people are treated with much less respect in general in society.

But for those of you in a huge rush to lose the weight so you can be healthy guess what? The changes you have hopefully already made already are giving you a much longer life.

check out the graph in the article and it is quite surprising.

The 4 measured factors for prolonging your life:
1. eating 5 or more fruits and vegetables daily
2. exercising regularly
3. consuming alcohol in moderation
4. not smoking

Replies

• nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I was 373 pounds and I considered myself fairly healthy apart from the weight a little high blood pressure (140 over 95).

I don't drink or smoke
    Had no diabetes
    I could walk several miles (but I am now faster)

I have now lost 200 pounds and I have backache a lot of the time.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    How many obese 90 year olds do you see around?
  • hamonk
    hamonk Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2012/12/31/evidence-that-fat-people-can-be-as-healthy-as-thin-people/

This article was very encouraging. It's all about the lifestyle change. Certainly it is important to lose the weight for a lot of reasons (like stress on knees, making more money, a better self-image).

Also, the survery says nothing to quality of life or the fact that obese people are treated with much less respect in general in society.

But for those of you in a huge rush to lose the weight so you can be healthy guess what? The changes you have hopefully already made already are giving you a much longer life.

check out the graph in the article and it is quite surprising.

The 4 measured factors for prolonging your life:
    1. eating 5 or more fruits and vegetables daily
    2. exercising regularly
    3. consuming alcohol in moderation
    4. not smoking
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

^this. I used to weigh a lot, that question above helped motivate me.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Being overweight doesn't automatically mean unhealthy. Some people got genetically lucky, some people just happen to eat the right combination to do ok, whatever. But long term...into your 60s or beyond....overweight is pretty clearly linked to health problems, and for some people, those problems show up way earlier in diabetes, or heart disease, or other problems, including joint damage. Sure I have always been pretty healthy...even when I weighed 240 a few years ago. I want to KEEP being healthy and able to enjoy my life. Losing weight, exercising more, and eating better gives me the best chance of doing that.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Um...a lot?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hmm.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Define consuming alcohol....in moderation.
  • Sballard418
    Sballard418 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Hover round!!!! (one of my favorite commercials) :laugh:

Now Carry on!

Ever been to walmart on a saturday?
  • lovelylittlegiggles
    Options
    This is true. I have a friend who is 5'3" and is overweight. She is the perfect picture of health on the inside. But her weight is causing her some knee issues and her hip has been acting up lately. Her doc says that she needs to lose weight to see any improvement in the pain in those two areas. Because she is healthy, outside of her those listed issues, she won't lose the weight.

So, yes, fat doesn't mean unhealthy.
  • jack3Dav3
    jack3Dav3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I'm all for getting "healthy," but hell I'd gladly trade my 80s and 90s to enjoy myself while I'm in my 20s.

ETA: Screw it, throw my 70s in the trade too.
  • kspwhite
    Options
    my grandparents. :) - not that it should be an argument for being obese, but it's just not a valid argument for you.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Boom. My 300# sister claims she is "healthy" because her blood pressure and cholesterol are normal. Yet she can barely walk up a flight of stairs and she NEVER cooks, so all of her meals consist of processed foods. I don't care who you are but you're not healthy at 300#... but I get that the article is motivating, saying that if you do these things you are on your way to being healthy.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Define consuming alcohol....in moderation.

I also need this defined.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Of course fat people can be as healthy as thin people. But the risk of remaining so is greater if your weight is in the healthy range.

A few things are not accounted for, age being the most notable. I would imagine the differences to be greater as age increases, as many weight related diseases take years to develop.

Also, since BMI alone is used as the number of heatlhy habits increases, the greater the chance of having outliers such as athletes and body builders in the overweight and obese groups.

While the title says "fat" people, they really mean overweight people, which is usually the same thing, but not always.
  • keshiabug1
    Options
    I honestly believe this. I work with someone who is literally like 100 lbs. I am 150 lbs and for some reason she feels that she is healthier than me. She has asthma, bronchitis, and is hypoglycemic.... and I hightly doubt she can do too much as far as the physical activity/exercise that I do. I, on the other hand, have no health problems such as she does... And I am also very able to exercise for a reasonable amount of time and a reasonable pace... and still be okay afterwards.

I understand that the obese tend to have more health problems than smaller people... However,

WEIGHT is not a good way to determine ones health. (I can weigh 200 lbs and be pure muscle rather than be overweight.)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I'm all for getting "healthy," but hell I'd gladly trade my 80s and 90s to enjoy myself while I'm in my 20s.

ETA: Screw it, throw my 70s in the trade too.

You only say that because you are in your 20's. But depending on how you define enjoyment, there is no reason you have to trade anything.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I don't need any report to tell me the thread title is true - I see plenty of overweight people running marathons. I cannot run a marathon or even 1/4 of one (nor do I have any desire to run more than 5 metres so save your encouragement for someone else ;) ) therefore they are fitter than me. And well done them! :)
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I learned this from the nutrition course on coursera.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You know how some women suffer from PCOS and diet and exercise can help? My hormone related issues seem to be aggravated with consistent diet and exercise. As a matter of fact, the last time I gave up was because it got so bad, this time, I know if it gets bad I am old enough that they will be willing to burn it or yank it. There are benefits to being over 40!