FAT PEOPLE CAN BE AS HEALTHY AS THIN PEOPLE

Options

Replies

• sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Define consuming alcohol....in moderation.

I also need this defined.

The recommendation is no more than 1 drink per day for women and no more than 2 drinks per day for men, on average.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I understand that the obese tend to have more health problems than smaller people... However,

WEIGHT is not a good way to determine ones health. (I can weigh 200 lbs and be pure muscle rather than be overweight.)

Yeah I don't believe weight is the best indicator or the tell-all. I'm overweight, but I'm very active, workout with weights/cardio, don't smoke, barely drink, walk a lot. All my blood work is in excellent shape. I want to lose the weight though so it doesn't become a problem in my later years.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    How many obese 90 year olds do you see around?

Um...a lot?

I highly doubt that you see a LOT of obese 90 year olds
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Not a very good article IMHO. I could find you mountains of evidence to the contrary. Is someone that is 10-20 lbs overweight healthier that someone who is not overweight but smokes a pack of cigarettes a day? I would say yes. But to suggest that someone who is 50 or more pounds overweight is healthy just because they don't drink or smoke is wrong.

A quote from the article:

"The Health At Every Size (HAES) movement attempts to interrupt the conflation of health and thinness by arguing that, instead of using one’s girth as an indicator of one’s health, we should be focusing on eating/exercising habits and more direct health measures (like blood pressure and cholesterol)."

In MOST cases, If you have good eating/exercising habits, you will not find yourself grossly overweight.
  • fluffyfoxx
    Options
    I agree, my Grandfather was over weight but extremely healthy died at age 99.
  • keshiabug1
    Options
    I understand that the obese tend to have more health problems than smaller people... However,

WEIGHT is not a good way to determine ones health. (I can weigh 200 lbs and be pure muscle rather than be overweight.)

Yeah I don't believe weight is the best indicator or the tell-all. I'm overweight, but I'm very active, workout with weights/cardio, don't smoke, barely drink, walk a lot. All my blood work is in excellent shape. I want to lose the weight though so it doesn't become a problem in my later years.

I am classified as 'overweight' too... And like you I DO want to lose. I just know too many people that are considered to be a normal weight that are much more unhealthy than I am. I have learned the hard way that weight itself is not a good indicator of progress or health.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Okay, all is good, you can be healthy and stay fat. :indifferent:
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I think "can be" is the operative term here... Yep i'm overweight, but overall pretty healthy... but who's to say that will still be the case when I'm 60... Working on getting healthier for me to give myself the best fighting chance against weight correlated diseases such as diabetes, hard disease etc.... And I wouldn't exactly complain if I just happened to get smoking hot in the process :wink:
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    This article is correct.

Both fat and thin people can be immensley unhealthy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Define consuming alcohol....in moderation.

I also need this defined.

The recommendation is no more than 1 drink per day for women and no more than 2 drinks per day for men, on average.

According to the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm#moderateDrinking
    According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans,1 moderate alcohol consumption is defined as having up to 1 drink per day for women and up to 2 drinks per day for men. This definition is referring to the amount consumed on any single day and is not intended as an average over several days.

Though some mental health groups define recommened limits as "< 14 drinks a week and < 4 drinks per occasion for men, and < 7 drinks a week and < 3 drinks per occasion for women."
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My dad (just retired from 31 years in the fire dept at 55 years old) who is in good shape, eats good, active/strong, etc just had quadruple bypass surgery. High cholesterol runs genetically in the family and even though it is down now, years ago it did it's damage. He has been in Kansas Heart Hospital all week so I've spent a lot of time there. I can honestly say I didn't see more than two other people who looked in a healthy weight range. I DID see about 50 other patients who were very much obese.

So yeah, being at a healthy weight doesn't always mean healthy, and being at an unhealthy weight doesn't always mean unhealthy. But I'd say for the majority of people this is true.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    FAT PEOPLE CAN BE AS HEALTHY AS THIN PEOPLE

But typically they are not. End of story.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options

Hover round!!!! (one of my favorite commercials) :laugh:

Now Carry on!

Ever been to walmart on a saturday?

none of those people are 90. they're 65 at the oldest. they just LOOK 90.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I'm all for getting "healthy," but hell I'd gladly trade my 80s and 90s to enjoy myself while I'm in my 20s.

ETA: Screw it, throw my 70s in the trade too.

You only say that because you are in your 20's. But depending on how you define enjoyment, there is no reason you have to trade anything.

Be careful what you wish for, my friend......
  • MrPrezWins
    Options
    The real question is why would you want to be fat
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    hmmm...
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    fat acceptance has gotten out of control
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    But...but if you don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do? :frown:

<---- 666th post. Muah ha haaaaa.

ecb18b6611cdf664e1e497ce0e9e34fe_zps5cf2f0bb.jpg
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    The real question is why would you want to be fat

yes!
  • winterswish
    Options

Hover round!!!! (one of my favorite commercials) :laugh:

Now Carry on!

Ever been to walmart on a saturday?

none of those people are 90. they're 65 at the oldest. they just LOOK 90.

^^^I was thinking the same thing. LOL