FAT PEOPLE CAN BE AS HEALTHY AS THIN PEOPLE

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Define consuming alcohol....in moderation.

I also need this defined.

The recommendation is no more than 1 drink per day for women and no more than 2 drinks per day for men, on average.

So that means I can have seven on Friday night, right? :drinker:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    But...but if you don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do? :frown:

we just keep drinking and living life. xo!

and now I have that stupid Adam Ant song in my head!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    FAT PEOPLE CAN BE AS HEALTHY AS THIN PEOPLE

But typically they are not. End of story.

This.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    How many obese 90 year olds do you see around?

The last time I posted similar people were falling over themselves to say how many of their obese relatives lived long lives!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    The real question is why would you want to be fat

No kidding.

All of this "Hey everyone! It's OKAY to be fat!" crap........... no good. It's not okay. Just because your blood work checks out okay at one point does not mean that you are not slowly killing yourself. GMAB.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Oh for goodness sake. *smh* No, just no.
  • keshiabug1
    Options
    Just to clear up my above comment... I am not saying its okay to abuse your body.
    Just that the number on the scare doesn't tell you the truth about the actual shape that your body is in.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I understand that the obese tend to have more health problems than smaller people... However,

WEIGHT is not a good way to determine ones health. (I can weigh 200 lbs and be pure muscle rather than be overweight.)

Yeah I don't believe weight is the best indicator or the tell-all. I'm overweight, but I'm very active, workout with weights/cardio, don't smoke, barely drink, walk a lot. All my blood work is in excellent shape. I want to lose the weight though so it doesn't become a problem in my later years.

I am classified as 'overweight' too... And like you I DO want to lose. I just know too many people that are considered to be a normal weight that are much more unhealthy than I am. I have learned the hard way that weight itself is not a good indicator of progress or health.

Agreed with above.

And there is a (excuse the pun) big difference between obese and a little overweight but active ya'know?

I have a friend who's always been teeny tiny and she even said I'm much healthier than she is b/c I'm active. She tried doing my workouts and couldn't
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    You know how some women suffer from PCOS and diet and exercise can help? My hormone related issues seem to be aggravated with consistent diet and exercise. As a matter of fact, the last time I gave up was because it got so bad, this time, I know if it gets bad I am old enough that they will be willing to burn it or yank it. There are benefits to being over 40!

Yep. My doctor gave it to me straight. PCOS did not make you fat, you developed PCOS when you became fat. Pills are not going to make it go away, getting to a healthy body weight is. He was right!

That is why I had to leave the PCOS facebook group. It was girls 100+lbs overweight constantly complaining about not being able to get pregnant..
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What's the benefit of being fat or being thin? Thin people can be as unhealthy as fat people.
  • Kirijyma
    Options

^this. I used to weigh a lot, that question above helped motivate me.
  • mlserna1
    mlserna1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but coming from someone who lost their Father on 12-26-11 to complications from Diabetes. I learned that weight has everything to do with it. Belly fat is the most dangerous to have especially under the muscle. In men and woman belly fat causes colon cancer,diabetis,high blood pressure etc;.. You may be lucking out being obese and in your 60's or younger but I gurantee if nothing is done about it it will catch up and catch up fast. Within 3 years my Father went from having a diabetic ulcer that turned into osteomylitis,to blockage in the heart ,to kidney failure,to amputation of both legs one from the groin down the other below the knee....to one month later death from pneumonia. It was horrid for all of us to watch and 1 year 1 1/2 months later we are still devastated. This is what has drove me to lose weight and to be healthy. I truly dont believe that being fat is healthy. Oh and by the way my Dad would have turned 61 in January ...I'm sorry but I consider that young. He was by no means obese range but he was overweight.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options

wow, great observation, so true.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they CAN be, but there's an absurd amount of risk factors. People CAN smoke and be healthy, too. Doesn't mean I'm willing to take my chances on being that lottery winner.
  • GoneKona
    Options
    What the article says is that fat people can be as healthy as thin people if the thin people are sedentary and have poor health habits, while the fat people practice better health habits.This is emphatically true. However, it is also true that the predominant group of people utilizing heath care services in America are people who are obese, and diseases/conditions related to obesity.
  • sclarktiw
    Options
    I disagree with the title as it says "fat people" well, there are overweight, obese and morbidly obese...right now I am obese, yeah the picture on the right and I am obese...in another loss of 10 lbs I will be overweight...and in a lose of 35 lbs I will be ideal.

Am I healthy? I dont know...I am going to see my family doctor on Friday to get my bloodwork numbers so I can monitor?

Do I smoke? No.
    Do I drink? Hardly.
    Drugs? No, work wont allow it.
    Do I eat at fastfood restaurants or processed foods? Maybe once every 1-2 weeks.

I have highblood pressure...I am on pills for that and have been since I was 295lbs...has anything changed since I lost 60lbs? Nope, still the same numbers which is anywhere from 137/92 down to 131-87.

But lets face it...our heart is JUST like an engine in a car, if you do not maintain it, or throw a lot of disportionate weight on it you are going to over work the engine or other important parts of the car and it will fail. The only problem is when your car's engine dies you can replace it...we are not so lucky.

So I for one want to get rid of the weight, want to eat better, and prolong my life as I have so much to live for.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time believing that article. Overweight and over fat are always unhealthy, period, end of that story!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

I know a few
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    What's the benefit of being fat or being thin? Thin people can be as unhealthy as fat people.

1) Fun clothes to to wear. It’s so much more fun to show off a cute figure if you are at your happy weight.

2) You fit nicely into an airplane seat.

3) You can sit on any kind of furniture without fear of breaking it.

4) You fit nicely into a movie theater seat.

5) You can wear any necklace, bracelet, ring or watch you desire.

6) You fit nicely into a booth in a restaurant.

7) You no longer worry about stares or comments from people about your weight; if anything they will be telling you how good you look!

8) At job interviews, you don’t have to worry if being overweight will be a factor in deciding whether or not you will get the position.

9) If you are trying to date, being thin helps.

10) It is easier to keep a thin body clean.

11) It’s easier to go to the bathroom.

12) It’s easier to have sex. Sex is better.

13) It’s easier to enjoy any kind of physical activity that is fun, like riding a bike, taking a walk, swimming, hiking a trail, etc.

14) The thought of being seen in a swim suit in public does not sound mortifying. Buying a new swim suit might even be kind of fun! You might even plan your next vacation at the beach.

15) You can go up a flight of stairs without feeling like you are going to die. You might even seek out the stairs, because it is good exercise and will burn calories.

16) You eat in front of people now, not worrying what they might be thinking.

17) You are happy to see people you haven’t seen in a long time, not worried anymore about what they might be thinking of your weight gain. You are thin now.

18) If you have suffered from sleep apnea, it gets better now, maybe even goes away entirely, and breathing at night gets easier (OK, this is technically kind of a health one, but who doesn’t want to get a good night’s sleep?)

19) You fit into a cars nicely.

20) You will most definitely like yourself better, and feel better about things — everything.