Juice Fasting?

Options
I've heard a lot of good things about it, but it can't be all it's cracked up to be, can it? I've watched a documentary called "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" on Netflix that focuses on the benefits of juice fasting (for short periods of time, no longer than 60 days). But I would like to hear about any experiences with juice fasting if you've tried it. I know a lot of the pros and some of the cons (Feeling weak for the first few days, constantly having to go to the bathroom), but I would like to know if there's anything else that should be taken into consideration before starting a juice fast. Any and all information is welcome :)

Replies

• moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's sustainable for most people even for as short a time as 10 days. I know I could never do it. I have a high power blender so instead of juicing my veggies I get to drink up the whole thing I just throw them in there with a little water. I drink at least one glass of veggies everyday. To each his own though.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" is basically an infomercial for that expensive juicer the guy uses.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    but I would like to know if there's anything else that should be taken into consideration before starting a juice fast.

nutrition
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    but it can't be all it's cracked up to be, can it?

No, it's not.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea. I know a guy personally who followed the FS&ND juice fasting, and he lost a ton of weight. Too bad it was all his beautiful muscle!!! NO THANKS
  • KellenaG
    KellenaG Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's sustainable for most people even for as short a time as 10 days. I know I could never do it. I have a high power blender so instead of juicing my veggies I get to drink up the whole thing I just throw them in there with a little water. I drink at least one glass of veggies everyday. To each his own though.

I usually drink about 1-3 "green smoothies" a day (usually replacing either my lunch and/or snacks) and that seems to work pretty well, but I don't really feel like it's doing much in the detoxing department
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • KellenaG
    Options
    Not a good idea. I know a guy personally who followed the FS&ND juice fasting, and he lost a ton of weight. Too bad it was all his beautiful muscle!!! NO THANKS

Well I don't really have a lot of muscle tone, just a lot of fat lol so I'm not worried about losing my beautiful muscles
  • makenoexcuses
    makenoexcuses Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Juice fasting has "bad idea" written all over it.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I like juicing/smoothies. But I am also a cheap skeptic. I did end up with a Kitchen Ninja which was okay, but finally bought a nice Blendtec just yesterday. But that is beside the point....so juicing and smoothies.

I didn't do the fast, but I do smoothies everyday for breakfast. That really makes a difference for me in how I feel in the mornings - lots of energy and don't feel like I ate a horse. I tried adding a few more during the day, but I like real food too.

I think a fast is just another quick fix...just as quickly as it will be broke again.

Funny how little patience people have. They will say they gained 40 pounds over the last 10 years, but then want it gone in 30 days.

Gah!
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    Can you skip it and eat whole foods with lots of veggies and fruits instead? I never got the whole "juicing" thing personally because don't you WANT the fiber to make you feel full and not just straight up fructose? Plus juice has a ton of calories but not filling. I would rather just eat regular food (but still good food, not junk.)
  • Juice fasting is a GREAT way to detox, you just have to do it right! You have to use FRESHLY juiced veggies/fruits. concentrate juice is a total joke and has barely any nutritional value. I have some great power juice recipes if you want to add me I'd exchange a couple :)

You just have to be careful on a juice fast. No heavy exercising or high heats, you don't want to overwork a detoxing body. It's trying to heal, not build muscle.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    It's a fad. there are no shortcuts or magic pills, or giants to slay other than your own excuses.

A daily caloric deficit with exercise is the healthiest means to your goals....and a Lifestyle CHANGE that is sustainable.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Well I don't really have a lot of muscle tone, just a lot of fat lol so I'm not worried about losing my beautiful muscles

See, that's not a good angle to take. You have muscle, whether it's conditioned or not. Losing muscle actually makes you fatter by making your BF% go up, and makes it harder to lose weight as you burn less calories at rest, and makes it harder to exercise.
  • MaximizedGains
    Options
    It's not fasting if you're taking in calories. It doesn't matter whether your calories come from juice, meat and potatoes, or anything else. No sense in only taking in juice. Damn fads.
  • KellenaG
    Options
    I like juicing/smoothies. But I am also a cheap skeptic. I did end up with a Kitchen Ninja which was okay, but finally bought a nice Blendtec just yesterday. But that is beside the point....so juicing and smoothies.

I didn't do the fast, but I do smoothies everyday for breakfast. That really makes a difference for me in how I feel in the mornings - lots of energy and don't feel like I ate a horse. I tried adding a few more during the day, but I like real food too.

I think a fast is just another quick fix...just as quickly as it will be broke again.

Funny how little patience people have. They will say they gained 40 pounds over the last 10 years, but then want it gone in 30 days.

Gah!

I'm not necessarily looking for a "quick fix" for weight loss, just wanting to try a short-term detox to clean out the guts! Lol
  • Blending the fruit isn't good enough. You lose all the nutrients the skin and pulp of the fruit provide. If you juice fast you HAVE to use a juicer or something like the Nutribullet (it's actually preferred as it extracts ALL the nutrients).
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Juice fasting is a GREAT way to detox, you just have to do it right! You have to use FRESHLY juiced veggies/fruits. concentrate juice is a total joke and has barely any nutritional value. I have some great power juice recipes if you want to add me I'd exchange a couple :)

You just have to be careful on a juice fast. No heavy exercising or high heats, you don't want to overwork a detoxing body. It's trying to heal, not build muscle.

Why do it at all though?
    Your body detoxes itself..
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You don't have muscle tone so you are not worried about losing the muscle you do have???
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Gah!

I'm not necessarily looking for a "quick fix" for weight loss, just wanting to try a short-term detox to clean out the guts! Lol

You don't need to clean out your guts. Cleaning out your guts causes disruption of the healthy bacteria colonies that keep your digestive system functioning properly.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses
This discussion has been closed.