Juice Fasting?

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Oh really, where is your factual evidence to disprove it?

I suppose you believe in the tooth fairy too.

the toothfairy is based on love and faith. toothfaries can neither be proven or disproven.
  • My cousin did a 30 day juice fast and lost nearly 25 lbs. Not of muscle either. If you have fat stored (otherwise if you're overweight) a juice fast is healthy, but if you're my size or even within the lower end of healthy weight range you shouldn't really do fasting of any sort because it doesn't flush fat, it flushes muscle. I am 85% lean muscle, I physically can't do a fast of any sort. But if you have extra poundage to lose, it's perfectly fine to do a 20-40 day juice fast. You're still getting calories and the nutrients you need it's just much easier for your digestion system to break down, therefore helping clean out the intestines and colon (which can hold up to 15 lbs of toxic fat). Just fyi.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Nutribullet, or something similar, they extract every ounce of nutrient by liquifying it. Nothing gets left out!

No.
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    My cousin did a 30 day juice fast and lost nearly 25 lbs. Not of muscle either. If you have fat stored (otherwise if you're overweight) a juice fast is healthy, but if you're my size or even within the lower end of healthy weight range you shouldn't really do fasting of any sort because it doesn't flush fat, it flushes muscle. I am 85% lean muscle, I physically can't do a fast of any sort. But if you have extra poundage to lose, it's perfectly fine to do a 20-40 day juice fast. You're still getting calories and the nutrients you need it's just much easier for your digestion system to break down, therefore helping clean out the intestines and colon (which can hold up to 15 lbs of toxic fat). Just fyi.

No.
    Just no.

Eat less
    Move more.

No.
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    :drinker: healthyblenderrecipes.com/

this blog has great detox smoothies but usually a detox juic fast is only for a few days, some people do it for a day, others do it for 3. but its not SUPPOSE to be a permanent thing.

:heart: http://cafegratitudela.com/

cafe gratitude does a monthly detox juice thing once a month. if you sign up to some link on there they will email you recipes for the monthly detox.

But i am a firm believer of detox if thats what you are doing, especially if you are a junk food junkie or heavy drinker/smoker, it not only flushes the system (Kombucha drink is good too) it helps get your head out of want want want eat eat impulse and gets some people re-focused on the goal*

just MY opinion*:glasses:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My cousin did a 30 day juice fast and lost nearly 25 lbs. Not of muscle either. If you have fat stored (otherwise if you're overweight) a juice fast is healthy, but if you're my size or even within the lower end of healthy weight range you shouldn't really do fasting of any sort because it doesn't flush fat, it flushes muscle. I am 85% lean muscle, I physically can't do a fast of any sort. But if you have extra poundage to lose, it's perfectly fine to do a 20-40 day juice fast. You're still getting calories and the nutrients you need it's just much easier for your digestion system to break down, therefore helping clean out the intestines and colon (which can hold up to 15 lbs of toxic fat). Just fyi.

First of all, how do you know they did not lose any muscle. Secondly, you do not understand the process of weight loss. Thirdly, you do not understand the importance of nutrition, including macronutrients.

You are absolutely wrong.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    eat right

work hard

rinse

repeat.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    eat right

work hard

rinse

repeat.

you left out the raspberry ketones step. :angry:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Oh really, where is your factual evidence to disprove it?

You made the claim..it is up to you to support that claim. That is the way it works.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Because when you fill your body with harmful toxins that animal products, processed chemical stews, and concentrated oils you have to clean it out once in awhile. Even a well greased engine gets clogged up once in awhile.

Our body works much the same as an engine. You put cholesterol in it it gets gunked up, just like sludge in an engine!

Juice is essentially liquified nutrients, it has the same nutrient composition of the normal foods but richer and it's far easier to digest! So you body digests it much easier therefore cleaning out your, shall we say, inner workings

Not really a correct analogy, unfortunately. The body's filtration system (the liver and kidneys) do process the food you consume, filter out what the body needs and sends it to the bloodstream. But it doesn't just hold on to the "toxins", as you call them, it excretes what it doesn't need (waste) through your intestines and out it comes! Simple as that. The things that make your body "get gunked up" are when your liver and kidneys can't process the food you eat properly, either because you have malfunctioning organs or perhaps because you've had a few too many red bull & vodkas. Eating a balanced diet will not result in your body getting gunked up, and certainly shouldn't require any type of "detox" or "clean out".

I've heard this kind of argument for juice diets before from people with disordered eating habits... the mentality that one's body is somehow unpure when it has waste products in it is what often leads people to go to drastic measures to go to the bathroom more and more often, to "purge" oneself of waste... which is, inevitably, what a juice diet ends up doing (although you're really just losing water weight).

Perhaps it's unwise for 19-year-olds who admit to having an ED since the age of 13 to give nutrition advice to others? I have nothing against juice, in fact I enjoy a beautifully crafted smoothie of fruits and vegetables from my local produce stand on a regular basis. But juice is certainly lacking in many nutrients (protein, for one).

And I think you should recognize that if you think one specific type of food is going to cleanse your body better than your organs can do, your not giving your organs very much credit.
  • TylerJ76
    Options

First of all, how do you know they did not lose any muscle. Secondly, you do not understand the process of weight loss. Thirdly, you do not understand the importance of nutrition, including macronutrients.

You are absolutely wrong.

*swoon*
    :flowerforyou: :love: :heart: :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Because when you fill your body with harmful toxins that animal products, processed chemical stews, and concentrated oils you have to clean it out once in awhile. Even a well greased engine gets clogged up once in awhile.

Our body works much the same as an engine. You put cholesterol in it it gets gunked up, just like sludge in an engine!

Juice is essentially liquified nutrients, it has the same nutrient composition of the normal foods but richer and it's far easier to digest! So you body digests it much easier therefore cleaning out your, shall we say, inner workings

I suggest you educate yourself as you have no idea what you are talking about. This has been posted before but you obviously are being extremely blinkered.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

If you're so worried about keeping your body in tip top shape, then why on Earth are you putting it through so much physical abuse?

I say this out of concern, not negativity; Please stop handing out advice when it's so clear that you desperately need help. And please, please seek help for your disordered thinking, before you do any more serious harm to your body.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea. I know a guy personally who followed the FS&ND juice fasting, and he lost a ton of weight. Too bad it was all his beautiful muscle!!! NO THANKS

Well I don't really have a lot of muscle tone, just a lot of fat lol so I'm not worried about losing my beautiful muscles

you should be.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Yeah, I have always kinda thought that the idea of actually doing a juice fast seemed a little extreme, but I just wanted to hear some other opinions on it. I'm getting a juicer tomorrow, but I won't be doing a juice fast. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't afford to buy enough produce to consume JUST juice. Looks like I'll be doing it just to get more veggies in my diet! I normally don't like just a whole lot of vegetables, so I'll have to stick to either smoothies or juicing to get my daily intake.

Nothing wrong with finding ways to get more veggies in your diet - in fact it is a good thing.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I've done juice fasting for religious reasons only. Your body is awesome enough to cleanse itself without the help of juicing. Yes you lose weight, but it's not a great way to go about weight loss or cleaning your internal plumbing out. Just fill your body with plenty of fruits and veggies everyday and stay away from the crap at McDonald's
  • davidrip1
    davidrip1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was on a green juice fast for the first week of my MFP activity. I lost 13 pounds and had no problems except I couldn't tolerate the taste and after taste of the juice. Plateaued the next 6 days on very resticted food intake. Lost 5.4 pounds the seven days following that 6 days. Didn't exercise during the fast. Started adding exercise subsequently and consumed under 900 calories a day. I started at about 40 pounds over weight. Mostly all belly fat. I've lost 26 pounds over 39 days. I'm currently eating about 1000 cpd and not eating back my exercise calories. Feeling fine. Just doing it my way.
  • TylerJ76
    Options
    I was on a green juice fast for the first week of my MFP activity. I lost 13 pounds and had no problems except I couldn't tolerate the taste and after taste of the juice. Plateaued the next 6 days on very resticted food intake. Lost 5.4 pounds the seven days following that 6 days. Didn't exercise during the fast. Started adding exercise subsequently and consumed under 900 calories a day. I started at about 40 pounds over weight. Mostly all belly fat. I've lost 26 pounds over 39 days. I'm currently eating about 1000 cpd and not eating back my exercise calories. Feeling fine. Just doing it my way.

Your way is wrong, and not healthy.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

That's definitely not good.
    Especially since you look to be an older gentlemen and not that child you're holding.
This discussion has been closed.