Juice Fasting?

Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! Literally. 60 days on all juice? My @ss would turn into a geyser!
  • iluvivy1
    Options
    Hi. My name is Carmen....I have a vitamix blender/juicer.......for about 3 months I made a blender full of the following along with water and ice in it.....I drank on it all day long however, I still ate meals......I didn't do it for a diet so to speak...I did it along with a friend of mine that has cancer....Her doctor had her doing it because it will help keep the cancer cells away.....
    I changed around each day but, here are the ingredients I used on and off each day.....

Kale OR Spinach
    Apples, Carrots, Ginger Root (each time), Pears, orange...

The more Green you can get the better...I called mine a smoothie because it was real crunchy and icy...

However, you can put in yours whatever you want.....Keep us posted......
  • gennafer731
    gennafer731 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I tried juicing after watching Fat, Sick and nearly Dead. My takeaway is based purely on my experience and I don't want to argue with any trolls over it.

I see it as a way to get extra nutrients like you would from a mutivitamin. You can juice more veggies than you can possibly eat and therefore you can get more nutrients in one glass than from just a side serving of veggies with your meals. You do lose out on the fiber and some nutrients that get destroyed by the juicing, therefore I only juiced one meal a day. Don't confuse juicing with drinking fruit juice. It defeats the point if all you juice is fruit because the sugar content of even fresh fruits is too high and will pretty much act the same as you eatting candy. You have to juice veggies mostly, lemons are really the only fruit that I found helped to cut through the kale taste. Beets are surprisingly good but be warned that beet juice will stain EVERYTHING! treat it like fragile red dye around furniture and light colored clothes. You will lose wait doing it but you would lose weight if all you drank was liquid anyway so don't rely on it for a weight loss tool. Most of the weight you lose is water weight and you will gain it back as soon as you start eatting solid food again, and you will be really pisssed off because of how much trouble it was.

Things to remember before/during juicing "fast":
    1- It is sooooo messy, it's practically a workout to set up all the veggie, wash and cut them up, then juice, then clean the juicer, it's just annoying.
    2-It is expensive and you have to go grocery shopping very often because most the veggies don't stay good for juice if left in the fridge for a long time. (They either dry up or get mushy) So you need to go grocery shopping every 2-3 days depending how often and what you juice.
    3-The only fruits/veggies that really taste remotly decent are high in sugar and not to be used too much. Carrots and Beets are pretty good but like I said they have a lot of sugar.
    4-Juice fasting is just a recipe to being grouchy. You are starving yourself and making a lot of work for yourself. Like Joe, you need to be on vacation and not doing anything taxing that would require you burning a lot of calories.

Now don't get me wrong, I like juicing. Like I said earlier I use it as a multivitamin, sometimes a replacement for one meal (lunch or dinner because you don't want to be hungry for breakfast) I just don't think fasting will help if you want to lose weight. It may help with detoxing but not many of us really need to detox and couldn't tell if we were toxic or not.
  • Perhaps it's unwise to judge my health advice by my ED. I'm not underweight, I've just struggled with binge/purge and body image. I'm vegan and actually incredibly healthy. all my nutrient/vitamin levels are perfect and my body fat percentage is 19%. I also do body building and pyrotechnic performing. I'm far from unhealthy. And age does not measure knowledge.
  • Just because someone has an ED does not instantly make them unhealthy. I'm a vegan body builder, I'm small weight wise yes, but still healthy. I'm extremely toned. I have a b/p ED, not anorexia. I know how to care for my body, I just don't have a great body image.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's unwise to judge my health advice by my ED. I'm not underweight, I've just struggled with binge/purge and body image. I'm vegan and actually incredibly healthy. all my nutrient/vitamin levels are perfect and my body fat percentage is 19%. I also do body building and pyrotechnic performing. I'm far from unhealthy. And age does not measure knowledge.

How is your bodyfat 19% when you're 85% lean muscle?
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think even 60 days is too long for a juice fast. Juicing is great, but my understanding is that it's mostly fruits and vegetable juices. Meaning you're lacking protein, fiber, and likely healthy fats. To me, if sounds like a good road to malnutrition.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's unwise to judge my health advice by my ED. I'm not underweight, I've just struggled with binge/purge and body image. I'm vegan and actually incredibly healthy. all my nutrient/vitamin levels are perfect and my body fat percentage is 19%. I also do body building and pyrotechnic performing. I'm far from unhealthy. And age does not measure knowledge.
    I'm judging your advice based on your obvious self mutilation scars.

Again, please seek help.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's sustainable for most people even for as short a time as 10 days. I know I could never do it. I have a high power blender so instead of juicing my veggies I get to drink up the whole thing I just throw them in there with a little water. I drink at least one glass of veggies everyday. To each his own though.

I usually drink about 1-3 "green smoothies" a day (usually replacing either my lunch and/or snacks) and that seems to work pretty well, but I don't really feel like it's doing much in the detoxing department

If you want to do a detox research and find what you think will work best for you. But remember that detoxing and fasting is to help your digestion and clear out the inside and shouldn't be about losing weight fast.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good way to get more veggies, along with an otherwise balanced diet. Good deal.
    This. I am not a breakfast person, but since I started doing fresh juice for breakfast I am less hungry and get way more fruit and veg. ONLY breakfast though.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Just because someone has an ED does not instantly make them unhealthy. I'm a vegan body builder, I'm small weight wise yes, but still healthy. I'm extremely toned. I have a b/p ED, not anorexia. I know how to care for my body, I just don't have a great body image.
    You know how to care for your body, you just choose not to?

Again, seek help.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I don't know anything about your ed. I'm judging your advice on how egregiously wrong it is.
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i've done 40 days before and like anything else you go a little while without eating and yes you feel weak. However for me after the first couple of days I felt great, yes i lost a lot of weight, however i was working out as well and i did not lose the muscle that some do. I do not suggest it, it's not for everyone. I ironically got stronger the longer i went, i've done it for ten days, fourteen days, and usually three days here and there, and also seven. However when you take into consideration nutrition you compromise some what on that. I can personally say that I did not experience anything from the horror stories you may here as to fainting, prolong weakness etc.. again however it's not for everyone a good kick starter but then find a good nutrional plan to follow and just bust your butt working out doing some good interval training and do it that way train your body it desires to be worked out. Hope this helped.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Love it, do it regularly. But not "fasting." I use a Vitamix which pummels the entire fruit, meat, veggie skin into juice... gives more nutrients and fiber. It's NOT low calorie, but it is low fat and uberhealthy. Mix with water or juice for refreshing and lighter fare, with milk or greek yogurt for a heavier smoothie texture.

Love them for breakfast and they keep me full longer. For about the same calories as a bowl of cereal and milk, I can make a great green smoothie that will keep me full until lunch.

My favorite: 1 orange, 2 Cups of fresh spinach, 1 apple (or pear), 24 frozen grapes, 1 carrot, 1/4 cucumber, 1/2 cup or pineapple, 1 banana.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8ab4ch1bx1rwcc6bo1_500.gif
  • I've been self-injury clean for almost 4 months. I self-injured due to borderline personality disorder, not an ED. After SI-ing for over 6 years, that's a feat. I am recovered. From both my ED and SI. Having a rough past does not determine my health knowledge. I'm studying nutritional science, I think I have more of an idea about nutrition than most of you. So, please, do get over my scars and actually hear what I'm saying.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I've been self-injury clean for almost 4 months. I self-injured due to borderline personality disorder, not an ED. After SI-ing for over 6 years, that's a feat. I am recovered. From both my ED and SI. Having a rough past does not determine my health knowledge. I'm studying nutritional science, I think I have more of an idea about nutrition than most of you. So, please, do get over my scars and actually hear what I'm saying.

But what you're saying is 100% wrong...
    There are MANY people who have done things the CORRECT way on this website who would back me up on this.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I've been self-injury clean for almost 4 months. I self-injured due to borderline personality disorder, not an ED. After SI-ing for over 6 years, that's a feat. I am recovered. From both my ED and SI. Having a rough past does not determine my health knowledge. I'm studying nutritional science, I think I have more of an idea about nutrition than most of you. So, please, do get over my scars and actually hear what I'm saying.

But what you're saying is 100% wrong...
    There are MANY people who have done things the CORRECT way on this website who would back me up on this.
    ^Agreed with Tyler. Kudos to you studying nutritional science and all..but your advice is still bad.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I like juicing/smoothies. But I am also a cheap skeptic. I did end up with a Kitchen Ninja which was okay, but finally bought a nice Blendtec just yesterday. But that is beside the point....so juicing and smoothies.

I didn't do the fast, but I do smoothies everyday for breakfast. That really makes a difference for me in how I feel in the mornings - lots of energy and don't feel like I ate a horse. I tried adding a few more during the day, but I like real food too.

I think a fast is just another quick fix...just as quickly as it will be broke again.

Funny how little patience people have. They will say they gained 40 pounds over the last 10 years, but then want it gone in 30 days.

Gah!

I'm not necessarily looking for a "quick fix" for weight loss, just wanting to try a short-term detox to clean out the guts! Lol

There is not such thing as a "detox to clean out the guts." Your intestinal track is not the same as the plumbing system of your house. Your liver and kidneys work just fine to keep everything working well.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love juicing. I juice once a day, but recently it's been once every few days.

I would never do a juice "fast."
This discussion has been closed.