• MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Go on the date!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    his firm is one of my Customers and Suppliers

If you have ANY say in regards to your company's interaction with his company or vice versa, this is EXCEPTIONALLY unethical and unprofessional. In my industry, that's grounds for immediate termination.

IF you can opt out of interaction with his company on the grounds of conflict of interest, then I'd say go for it. If you can't, then I'd say no.

THIS ^^^ Jobs are tough to replace. I have to let my company know I officiate sports and when I was in Procurement we were looked at on the regular for improper benefits and relationships.....

Great insight!
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You've been flirting for ages, and asked him when he was taking you out, yet when he has you don't know what to do...?

Poor guy lol... Just go out with him! Why is this even a question? x
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    his firm is one of my Customers and Suppliers

If you have ANY say in regards to your company's interaction with his company or vice versa, this is EXCEPTIONALLY unethical and unprofessional. In my industry, that's grounds for immediate termination.

IF you can opt out of interaction with his company on the grounds of conflict of interest, then I'd say go for it. If you can't, then I'd say no.

THIS ^^^ Jobs are tough to replace. I have to let my company know I officiate sports and when I was in Procurement we were looked at on the regular for improper benefits and relationships.....

Great insight!

I agree with looking into rules at your work place. Every place is different. Where I work, they really don't care. We have a few married couples, In-Laws, and other relatives (my aunt and uncle work here, they actually met when he worked for a contractor we used, he left and joined our company).
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Date him if you're interested in him. I don't see the problem..

This. Just make sure he doesn't take his mickey out where other people can see it.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Were you attravted to him when you met him?

If yes, then go for it. It sounds like it could work, you've known each other a long time :)
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

As for those asking about "taking the Mickey," does nobody know about the marvels of Google?

it's more fun this way.
  • fitgirl4x48
    fitgirl4x48 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Follow your gut instinct & your own truth. That's all I can say.
    Good luck!!
  • cheexy85
    cheexy85 Posts: 119
    Options
    I have to ask, what does "taking the Mickey out" mean?

It means making fun out of someone.. banter

really? I have never heard that in my entire life. Is that a UK thing or something?

It is indeed :smile:
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    At least get him tested.
  • cheexy85
    cheexy85 Posts: 119
    Options
    You're over thinking it. :wink:
    Go out and have fun with someone who makes you laugh. :laugh:
    Lucky you to have someone want to be with you on Valentines Day :heart:
    ^^^
  • justaweighin
    Options
    RISKS

To laugh is to risk appearing the fool,
    To weep is to risk being called sentimental.
    To reach out to another is to risk involvement.
    To expose feelings is to risk showing your true self.
    To place your ideas and your dreams before the crowd is to risk being called naive.
    To love is to risk not being loved in return,
    To live is to risk dying,
    To hope is to risk despair,
    To try is to risk failure

But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing.
    The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing.
    He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn, feel, change, grow or love.
    Chained by his certitude, he is a slave; he has forfeited his freedom.
    Only the person who risks is truly free.

Loved this

Thank You all, I've stopped dithering and said Yes, having thought through the work issues, I've realised that there aren't really any and I was just freaking out. He really is a sweetie, now.. what to wear :laugh:
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    As long as it won't affect any working relationship, go for it. You've known him long enough. Say yes, and don't think about it. As females we overthink things and make it more complicated than it needs to be!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Yay! Let us know how it goes!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    You've got nothing to lose and if it did for whatever reason go all tits up then you go back to being customer and supplier :)
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Just bang him and move on to the next. Relationships are overrated.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Date him if you're interested in him. I don't see the problem..

Quoted for truth.
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have been friendly with this guy on the phone and e-mail for about six years because his firm is one of my Customers and Suppliers, we've always had a huge laugh and can take the mickey out of each other without a second thought, he has always been a terrible flirt.

We met for the first time at a conference before Christmas and carried on as normal, taking the mickey and chatting away. I didn't think anything of it, after all my confidence is non existent and why would someone like him be interested in me?? We have swapped e-mail's and phone calls since then, always in the same way.

Anyway today I jokingly said so where are you taking me for Valentines and he said I thought you didn't do Valentines and anyway I never thought I stood a chance, you must have a whole line of dates lined up. Being me I just laughed as said yeah but I blew them all off hoping for someone better to come along. And then I changed the subject back to work.

Half an hour ago I checked face-book and he has sent me a friend request and messaged me, saying he is serious about taking me out on Thursday Night and that he thought I wasn't interest in him.

Since then been in total panic mode. Head is scrambled and really don't know what the hell is going on, I mean we have been virtual friends for years why would he do this now?? and how do I respond?
    What if it is just another joke? I mean I could laugh it off but what if he means it and I blow it?
    And if he is serious where do I put him in my life? Strictly speak he is work and therefore as appealing as a dead frog. Work is Work and Play is Play. But he is not one of my colleagues and therefore do the same rules apply. :huh: :frown:

I'd say go for it!
  • sppride
    sppride Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Give the boy a chance! http://www.hulu.com/watch/2330
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    My gut says to go out with him, enjoy the evening, keep it light and see where it goes.

However, my brain is telling me that you need to evaluate your work situatuion. Depending on your industry/company, there could be very strict rules regarding personal interaction with suppliers which you may need to disclose to your employer through a conflict of interest.

Do the quick work check and then go forward...

Good luck and hope it works out