Replies

• Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    People are mean on the Internet ? No way
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    When the site was first started, the founders wanted it to be called Mean Fat People.

Marketing thought this was a bad idea, but, thanks to a dedicated group of hired trolls, the original essence lives on.

*** Hitting Ignore button ***

Your prerogative.

tumblr_inline_mhm6vhj5yj1rql8tv.gif

Though, if I'm the sort of person who causes you to hit ignore, I expect your ignore list will be growing at an exponential rate.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    When the site was first started, the founders wanted it to be called Mean Fat People.

Marketing thought this was a bad idea, but, thanks to a dedicated group of hired trolls, the original essence lives on.

*** Hitting Ignore button ***

Your prerogative.

tumblr_inline_mhm6vhj5yj1rql8tv.gif

Though, if I'm the sort of person who causes you to hit ignore, I expect your ignore list will be growing at an exponential rate.

i think his reason to ignore you is childish....

the fact that you didnt use this....http://youtu.be/5cDLZqe735k for the your perogitive comment is what should get you ignored :)
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    [This is the tamest forum I've ever been in....

I'd have to agree with you!

I also agree.

Yep. If you can't handle the MFP forums, then please never hop on to a gaming forum. Seriously.

This place isn't mean at all. It's tame. It might be the only forum I've been in that continues to fail to honor Godwin's Law

Sorry, but Godwin gets proven right even on MFP

H & N.

We get lots of threads about Grammar Nazis, and how mean they are. Does that count?

I am correcting dein grammar right
    tumblr_lv9zp0sLcm1qg39ewo1_500.gif
    Habst eine spare period in deine quote!
  • Hinxx
    Hinxx Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The abilities to correct misinformation, disagree, and debate…. do not preclude the abilities to be respectful, compassionate, or kind. That’s a choice people make – or choose not to make.

I :heart: this!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    While I don't support meanness or rudeness as a general rule, I completely support people disagreeing with posts and calling bullsh!t on misinformation.

People post A LOT of cr@p on here and much of it could have negative health results. By disagreeing and calling out the misinformation, we ARE being supportive of people's health and wellbeing.
  • Mrswrp
    Mrswrp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I thought MFP was supposed to help motivate and push each other. I've seen so many nice comments back and forth between people and dishing out tons of encouragment. On the flip side, it is SO discouraging when people post things and are followed up with negative or harsh responses. This is not Twitter, or Facebook (where negativety and cyber bullying is everywhere). This is a place to help each other. Even if you don't agree with what people say, why bother putting in the effort to bring them down and be rude?! Not everybody has the same workout routines, times to eat, things to eat, life circumstances and so forth. Don't tear people down bc you don't agree with that they are saying. That is all :wink:
    Spread love, not anger!
    I totally agree. People that are mean and rude (just plain not nice) I think are generally not happy people. As you say... why bother. Disagree fine, mean not necessary.
  • Mrswrp
    Mrswrp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The abilities to correct misinformation, disagree, and debate…. do not preclude the abilities to be respectful, compassionate, or kind. That’s a choice people make – or choose not to make.

I :heart: this!
    Me :heart: too!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There are some legit arguments here. But a lot of what you're seeing is just back and forth between friends.

A lot more of what you see is people trying to keep misinformation from going unchecked in the forums. If they just ignore a thread full of incorrect info then it's as good as saying that info is correct.

Often when someone is disputing incorrect info, they aren't just or even primarily doing it for the OP's benefit. It's for the people lurking who may not realize that a source isn't reliable, or that a practice isn't healthy.

Don't you think it's worth a little arguing to make sure that you're getting correct information?

I am quoting this for the OP because THIS is what most of those people are often trying to do. I hope you didn't ignore this because it didn't support your point.

I don't have a problem with legitimate responses. This guy posts alot and he isn't rude. there are people who just go on 'attack' and have to be snarky and cocky with their responses. They never give any legitimate help. One forum comes to mind: a woman said she lost weight and would like to know how to lose more weight in her abs. Soooo many people responded with 'lose more weight'. She was looking for exercises, nutrition tips, etc to help her lose more weight. Responses like that don't help people. Only a handful recommended workout tapes and things they have done to concentrate on their core, but too many responded with a 'duh' response.

Ah but see that is the only legitimate response. You can't reduce body fat in a specific area. You can work specific muscles, but abs are made in the kitchen not the gym. Telling someone that doing 37 crunches per second will not make their abs any more visible. It might be seen as mean, but that is the truth.

You can't lose more weight just in your abs. Recommending specific exercises is misleading, but the others are seen as mean?

Its not what you say, its how you say it. You just offered an explanation for why she needs to lose more weight. They just said "lose more weight". She was dieting and exercising and had already lost weight. She wanted to start focusing on how to get abs. Losing weight helps you do that of course. Ab exercises and machines were made for a reason. Every workout video I have ever bought has a section on ab training. Recommending a few would not have hurt them. To not do that is what is 'mean' to me.

Sorry but this is a great example of people that has been here for a while - and that has seen the same thing over and over trying to be helpful - and the poster not wanting to accept good advice, and then crying "bullying"

Ab machines were made for a reason - to make someone money.......I have NEVER seen anyone that owns a ab machine have abs - they don't work!!

People with great abs - like fitness models - works their butts off lifting heavy in the gym - and eats right to get rid of their bodyfat - simple as that........they don't work only their abs with ab machines and DVDs....

Disagreeing is not bullying - we are trying to help new people in here cut through reams of misinformation - and get to the basic simple facts of life.....and hopefully save heaps of money not buying ab machines!

I never said it was bullying. All I was tyring to say is to just respond with "lose more weight" to a person and not tell the person how and what you have done is useless. This is why people hire personal trainers to take them to the next level. There are workouts and food tweaks that people make that give them better results. You change up your diet and nutrition plan when you plateau. Why would someone NOT want to give those tips? That is all I am trying to say. To not do that to me is mean. Why would you not want to offer someone help? Never called anyone a bully. Everyone keeps saying you are trying to block misinformation, but 'lose weight' isn't giving people information. I am just saying GIVE the information, not a vague snarky "lose weight' response.

This is ridiculous. It's the very reason "lose more weight" is the facto response. It is the correct answer to the question, but invariably what the OP wants to hear is that reverse crunches and mct oil is the answer is a 6 week 6 pack. No. Lose more weight. Lose more weight. Lose more weight.

That is the answer distilled down to is purest essence, yet you complain and turn it into a 2700 word back and forth when the entire answer is three little words.

I guess knowledgeable people that answer questions could try it your way and type up a 150 word response for all 48 times this question appears in the forums. You'd probably consider that a nicer way to do things. Unfortunately, after typing 350 words, the OP is going to thank the person that said do more crunches.

I'm not a monster. I realize it can feel harsh when someone asks about the latest detox or Dr. Oz endorsed product and 19 people come in, type NO, then leave. But NO is the correct answer and hopefully the repetition drives it home.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    We are never having that fish fry, are we?
  • patrickkelly69
    Options
    Because people are Aholes. ((shrugs))

and they have nothing better to do
  • Raybug0903
    Raybug0903 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Have you ever heard the saying, "People on diets only talk about their diet"? I think it's kind of like that...some people are SO obsessed with their "lifestyle" that it's all they think about and only harp on the bad things others are doing and are mean as a result. There is a nice way to go about giving advice, even if it's constructive criticism. Sending positive vibes your way!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    We are never having that fish fry, are we?

Prolly not

funny-pictures-auto-fry-is-not-sure-sign-373675.jpeg
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    There are some legit arguments here. But a lot of what you're seeing is just back and forth between friends.

A lot more of what you see is people trying to keep misinformation from going unchecked in the forums. If they just ignore a thread full of incorrect info then it's as good as saying that info is correct.

Often when someone is disputing incorrect info, they aren't just or even primarily doing it for the OP's benefit. It's for the people lurking who may not realize that a source isn't reliable, or that a practice isn't healthy.

Don't you think it's worth a little arguing to make sure that you're getting correct information?
    ^ This.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The first response makes me sad that the ignore button has been gone for over 6 months now, guys. Nostalgia.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

^ This.

Dude, why are you bringing back necro mean people threads? This is twice now. I'm really confused.

tumblr_inline_np4auanWzI1qzri6z_500.gif
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Do this on Thursday, will ya?

Since Friday is a holiday n sht
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Dude, [LiftAllThePizzas]
    why are you bringing back necro mean people threads? This is twice now. I'm really confused.

tumblr_inline_np4auanWzI1qzri6z_500.gif
    LAP why are you thread necroing mean people threads from years ago? You were asked not to do it last time and here you are doing the same again.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Isn't this the 2nd time this thread has been brought back to life?!?
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Isn't this the 2nd time this thread has been brought back to life?!?

No, that was a different Mean People thread and it was promptly locked by the mods.

On another note - why are all the Mean People threads in the "Motivation and Support" forum? That's literally the "nice people" section of MFP. Even the veteran posters who are known for their, umm.... snarkiness... post nice and fluffy replies here.