Why do you drink almond milk?

Options
I picked up some of that almond milk at Whole Foods today, I see some of you are using it regularly.

I was reading an article a few weeks ago about the health benefits of almonds regarding a healthy heart and cardiovascular disease. But the almonds like most nuts are kinda of high in calories (by volume) and just don't fill me up at all. (haven't got past the hungry most of the time stage) So I'm taking a pass on the nuts for now.

But the milk looks interesting, dairy free, low fat, or good fat, lots and lots of vitamins and minerals...... I cant see a down side.

Is anyone drinking the almond milk for the heart healthy benefit (does it have the same heart benefit as the nut?) or is it the nutritional values and non dairy that attracts?

Replies

• HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    i drink UNSWEETENED coconut milk

people drink coconut and almond and soy and other than ow's milk for a variety of reasons including digestive issues, social-political issues, taste issues or just to be on the bandwagon
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

But the milk looks interesting, dairy free

Do you have an intolerance to dairy?
  • MrsMeisner
    MrsMeisner Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk for anything that I would use regular milk for. I've never been that crazy about milk anyways and after reading about all of the steriods, antibiotics and growth hormones pumped into regular dairy cows I decided I'd prefer not drink it at all if there's a chance those might be transferred to me (even a slight amount).
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I'm lactose intolerant and with a history of breast cancer in the family I avoid soy products.
  • douglasbeale
    douglasbeale Posts: 66 Member
    Options

But the milk looks interesting, dairy free

Do you have an intolerance to dairy?

No, not at all, in fact I love my whole milk. I could never give it up totally, but the whole cardiovascular disease thing has me looking at lots of different dietary aids.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I get it sometimes because I don't like dairy milk - blegh!
  • mistybkarma
    mistybkarma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am disgusted by milk, I always think of the poor cow it came from. For some reason, I am fine with steak.
  • jhawk84
    Options
    Caloric density, low sugars, etc. Soy is great, too
  • tynishabeezfit
    tynishabeezfit Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Never been a huge milk fan. Maybe that's why I'm only 4'11''. I should have listened to my momma, lol. I make my own almond milk sometime. I prefer the taste better, the calorie count and sugar.
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It tastes really good to me. I made the switch about 9 months ago. :)
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Almond Breeze unsweetened Vanilla Almond Coconut Milk blend! 45 cals for 1 cup! Delicious in cereal and protein shakes! I'm vegetarian moving towards vegan, but have always had trouble with dairy products.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk doesn't always agree with me so I've made the switch to almond milk. I like the taste and I am able to drink it without feeling ill effect so why not?
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am completely intolerant to all cow's milk dairy (not just lactose intolerance, so no Lactaid for me), so I started replacing regular milk with unsweetened almond milk. When I make smoothies or eat cereal, I use the unsweetened vanilla almond milk, which is pretty awesome on apple cinnamon cheerios!
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    I use it in place of milk when I can't afford milk's calories. I don't use it often, but it stays good for a couple months, which is nice.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I don't eat dairy anymore due to hormone issues. Almond milk and almond/coconut milk (unsweetened) is low in calories, low in carbs, has a good amount of fat and a good source of calcium. And, it tastes good.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I actually don't just drink milk of any kind. I stopped drinking milk around the time I was a teenager, I just lost my taste for it. But I do almond milk for the occasional bowl of cereal that I have and also in baking. I started using it initially because it turned out that I was actually lactose intolerant.

I tried using the Lactaid milk for awhile but was throwing way too much of it out because I couldn't go through it fast enough. So I liked the smaller size option of the shelf stable almond milk containers and also the calories on the unsweetened were very tempting.

I use both the original and vanilla of the Almond Breeze brand and find that it's completely unnoticeable in baking or cooking and have even made creamy gravies and sauces with it just fine. And I actually like it better in my cereal than regular milk. The slight nuttiness of the milk just seems like it was made to go with cereal.
  • allie491
    allie491 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I like the taste and it's low cal compared to a cup of milk. Easy way to cut some calories.
  • laurie41565
    laurie41565 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I used to drink skim milk and then I found out I have PCOS so I have to watch my sugar intake. I thought skim milk would be ok but then looked at the label and it has 12 grams of sugar in one cup!! I'm supposed to stay close to 6 grams or under per meal. So I decided to give the Unsweetened Silk Almond milk a try and I LOVE it!! I drink it all the time. I use it in my protein shakes and just when I want a glass of milk or anything that you would use milk for. I actually like it better than the regular milk and it is so much better for you so it's a win win for me! Only 35 cals per cup and no sugar and 50% more calcium than regular milk. Try it you'll like it!! :happy:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I drink almond and soy milk for the calcium. Almond milk is mostly water and doesn't really have much else to offer. Soy doesn't either other than a little fat and protein.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I don't care for regular milk but do like the taste of almond milk, plain or vanilla. When I cook, I don't really have a preference but if I am putting it in something, like cereal, I go with almond.