Why do you drink almond milk?

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I switched based on a recommendation from a friend who was going dairy free (she has an intolerance). She said the Blue Diamond Breeze unsweetened Almond Coconut milk blend was awesome so I gave it a try and really liked it! I don't eat cereal anymore so the only time I drink milk is when I put a little in my coffee and the almond milk not only tastes better but seems to last a bit longer than dairy milk so it was a win/win.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I drink chocolate cows milk and cream in coffee, but I love the taste of unsweetened vanilla almond milk in fridge oatmeal and protein smoothies. The almond milk is good (for me) when I need a lower cal. lower sodium mixer and water just tastes too weak.
  • desrosiersf
    Options
    it's definitely good as a substitute for milk (at places where you use milk for the taste (i.e: cereals, cooking, etc.) cause it contains less calories, less fat, more vitamins, etc. (as you pointed out).

However, it's not a good substitute for milk in term of proteins. Milk has quite a good protein to calorie ratio (1g protein per 18 calories) but almond milk ratio is pretty bad (1g protein per 35 calories)... So, if like me, you only use milk as a protein source, then almond milk definitely isn't a proper substitute.

just my 2¢ ! :)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Because I like the flavor and it has fewer calories than regular milk. I prefer not to drink my calories unless they'll be fun.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    cruelty-free and delicious :smile:
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Because it taste better. I'm more of a vanilla soy drinker, myself.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk because I'm horribly lactose intolerant and I like the taste and viscosity better than soy milk
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    How does one go about milking an almond?:huh:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    So I can spend twice as many calories on cereal.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened almond milk because it does not contain sugar like regular milk.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've never cared for the taste of white milk, I ALWAYS had to have chocolate milk when I was growing up. Almond milk is delicious...I drink the vanilla because the flavor kind of reminds me of ice cream, so its like having a dessert thats low calorie.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    If you decide to give it a go, make sure you get the unsweetened version. Otherwise the sugar content is quite high!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    1. I am lactose intolerant
    2. I don't really enjoy the taste of milk (thankfully, see point 1)
    3. To me it is the most tolerable of the non-dairy milks. I don't like soy milk, except chocolate. The coconut milk is good for some things, but is too sweet for me, even unsweetened. I enjoy the taste of almond milk with or without any other flavorings in it.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

But the milk looks interesting, dairy free

Do you have an intolerance to dairy?

Sh*ts about to get real . . . .
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I drink it cuz it's low in sugar and calories, but I also drink cow milk from time to time.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I find it yummy and it has fewer calories than regular milk. And regular milk gives me bad gas.
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It is fewer in calories and I like the taste. I drink the original almond milk. For a while I was a quest to find the ideal milk since I am lactose intolerant and almond milk was the one I could tolerate. I drink it with my morning oatmeal, with some whole wheat toast and nutella (or light butter spread) and in my protein shakes.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It tastes good, is low in calories, sugar and fat. It's a nice for eating cereal without adding alot of additional calories. Milk has alot of sugar due to the lactose, so I get the sugar free almond milk and almond coconut blends.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    My reasons are the following (I drink unsweetened plain or vanilla almond milk)-

Lower calorie
    Lower sugar
    Tastes better

My reasons don't go very deep by getting into heart health and whatnot. But you asked and I told :drinker:
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk daily (unsweetened original, and unsweetened vanilla) for coffee, cereal, shakes for its low calories (and I really like the woodiness in my coffee), and can't stand soy milk - otherwise I drink 1% dairy milk if I want a "glass of milk"

I have tried many brands but seem to only like Almond Breeze for some reason