Replies

• hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    cause its low calorie.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I drank/used almond milk in cooking for a long time. Cow milk just creeps me out (seriously... we are the only animals to drink the milk of another species and the only ones to drink it past infancy). I tried soy milk but it game me (ick) gas. I like the almond and the subtle flavor it adds to things like oatmeal and smoothies. Recently I tried Flax Milk (Whole Foods carries a brand called Good Karma) - very low in calories (only 50 per serving), made from flax seeds and containing vital omega-3 acids. But flax milk has no protein. That said, most people consume more protein than they need so that shouldn't be a deal breaker. Even as a vegetarian, I get enough protein from other sources without needing it in my milk.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    cruelty-free and delicious :smile:

Ok really?

Which is more cruel: milking a cow or crushing an almond? One survives the procedure, and it's not the almond.

If I was a cow I'd like to be milked.

I'm a cow, and I LOVE being milked.

Dairy cows are probably in the most horrific situation of animals used for food. They are kept pregnant their entire lives (average life of a dairy cow is 3-5yrs in a common farming situation where it might be 15-20 in older farming practices) and given mass amounts of anti-biotics and milk enhancers for them to produce more milk than is natural. The result is something called mastitis which is a condition of inflamed and infected utters which makes the milking process excruciating and causes pus and blood to be leaked into milk, this is why it needs to be processed the way it is. They are kept in tight stalls and constantly hooked up and pumped with swollen and damaged utters.

Doesn't take much of a google search to be less ignorant about factory farming processes.
  • scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Interesting to see how many people like it. My wife doesn't like milk and bought some, I tried it and it was the most disgusting thing I have ever drank. It tasted like slightly almond flavored water. Good for you that can drink it I had been curious about it but no more.. I love milk and will just drink less of it but I will not give up the real stuff.

That was clever marketing though I always wondered how they came up with almond milk since I have never seen an almond with nipples.
  • aperrigaud
    Options
    I like the taste better, my body hates lactose (with a passion) and the thought of not having puss in my milk makes me happy.
  • jonibc
    jonibc Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think almond milk is the best thing since sliced bread! I'm trying to get all my calcium requirements from my food and 2 cups of almond milk gives me nearly my 100% daily needs with less than 100 calories. Plus, the stuff makes my oatmeal taste so good!
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I got it for low cal health properties. The plain one we get here in the UK is rubbish tasting, your better off drinking water. I really only buy milk to put in tea or coffee and it does not mix well with either. On its own like very very watered down milk. Going to try the walnut and cocunut varieties next.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I used to drink almond milk.... I don't really know why i drank it lol, i just liked to be different i guess.... But the dark chocolate almond milk is sooooooooo freakin goooood!!! Trrryyyy it!
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    I don't care for milk and don't eat much cheese because it is calorie dense, so almond milk gives me the calcium I miss. I find it tastier than soy milk.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Lower cals and animal/hormone free. I drink unsweetened vanilla almond milk (in coffee & smoothies) 40 cals per/8oz.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I drink it as I don't do animal milk and i like it a LOT better than soy milk. I just bought the SoDelicious Almond Plus so it has 5g protein per 40cal and I find it quite tasty. It's a nice vitamin & protein total for me and I like how much lighter it is than soy (I can drink some Silk, but not much before I get a bit nauseated).

Oh, and it's quite good for smoothies.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think almond milk is the best thing since sliced bread! I'm trying to get all my calcium requirements from my food and 2 cups of almond milk gives me nearly my 100% daily needs with less than 100 calories. Plus, the stuff makes my oatmeal taste so good!

I drink it for the calcium too, but the calcium in almond milk is added. It's no different than taking a low dose supplement. So, if you are looking to get calcium found naturally in food almond milk is not where you'll find it.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I need the calcium and it has more than regular milk. I like the vanilla sweetened milk.. I HATE regular milk...
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I'm lactose intolerant and almond milk tastes way better than that rank soy milk.
    Oat, rice and coconut milk are nice too :).
  • douglasbeale
    douglasbeale Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I wanted to try it in my oatmeal this morning, but I forgot and had eggs. I'll try it tomorrow.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    cruelty-free and delicious :smile:

Ok really?

Which is more cruel: milking a cow or crushing an almond? One survives the procedure, and it's not the almond.

If I was a cow I'd like to be milked.

I'm a cow, and I LOVE being milked.

Dairy cows are probably in the most horrific situation of animals used for food. They are kept pregnant their entire lives (average life of a dairy cow is 3-5yrs in a common farming situation where it might be 15-20 in older farming practices) and given mass amounts of anti-biotics and milk enhancers for them to produce more milk than is natural. The result is something called mastitis which is a condition of inflamed and infected utters which makes the milking process excruciating and causes pus and blood to be leaked into milk, this is why it needs to be processed the way it is. They are kept in tight stalls and constantly hooked up and pumped with swollen and damaged utters.

Doesn't take much of a google search to be less ignorant about factory farming processes.

WOAH.

I don't quite think that was ignorance above, just a little kidding around.

Lesson learned. Don't EVER have a sense of humor.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Because it has only 2g per serving carb, 0g sugar, and 40cal. Skim has 13g carb, 12g sugar and is 90cal. Skim is higher in protein, but you can add that many ways. Taste great too.

By the way, a calf is much harder on a cows nipples than the fancy machines that are used in modern times. The argument that almond milk is better for the animal gave me a good chuckle. Interesting city folk. I will not argue the other points about animal health.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Holy scare tactics Batman! 99% of that isn't true for any good dairy farm. It would be just way too expensive to maintain a herd like that. And cows have udders which are kept in very good condition or the cow wouldn't be profitable. I'd suggest visiting a dairy farm rather than believing what you read on Google.
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Because i hate cow's milk! :sick: And the unsweetened kind is low in calories.
  • lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened (almond milk so I can sweeten it if I need to. ( I don't drink it but cereal, oatmeal, smoothies, baking etc) I like the taste better than soy and I dont want to have too much soy, I'm vegan so if I have veggie meats they have soy in them.