Bodybuilder or Powerlifter

Options
Which are you?

Which do you want to be?

Explain the difference.

What are the best routines for both?

Do you have to pick one or the other? At what point?

Replies

• shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I guess I want the best of both worlds... or just a happy balance.

I want to be strong but I won't let aesthetics go out the window just to get ridiculously strong.

Right now more of a powerlifter just because the cutting has been a slow process, I do mostly compound heavy lifts as opposed to incorporating isolation work like I *think* most body building routines do.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. Right now, I'm geeking out on getting stronger, so but like shutupandlift said, I want to be lean and cut. So, I think I'll focus on strength gains until I've felt like I've "maxed" out, whether it be maxing out on my potential, mentally not being able to go farther, etc. and then refocus on maintaining most of my strength and cutting fat.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Found this:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/why_bodybuilders_are_more_jacked_than_powerlifters

They believe that no, you can't do both. :(

"you should not obsess with powerlifting totals and try to blend too much powerlifting techniques into your hypertrophy training if increased muscularity is your primary goal.

It seems quite clear that if your goal is to maximize muscular development it's important to never stray too far away from proven bodybuilding principles"
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I want to be strong as an Ox and look good in a bikini. A happy medium would be nice. For right now, I am focusing on strength gains, as appearance is a consequence of fitness...right?

I do think eventually I will have to choose on or the other and I am just not sure what road I will take. Powerlifting seems more my style though. It seems like bodybuilders need such dedication and willpower to cut and diet and prep for stage if they compete. I don’t think I have it in me to do that, but I can eat and focus on strength gains – you don’t have to be so anal.

I have mad respect for those who are competitive bodybuilders. I have mad respect for competitive powerlifters. I, personally, want to be somewhere in the middle, I guess.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I always think the way I train is (mostly) for powerlifting. Compound movements, designed to get me as strong as possible. A few isolations thrown in to help, or more aesthetic reasons.

I think the way I structure my food/diet is more for bodybuilding. I do cutting and bulking, whereas if I was training mainly for strength I would be on at least maintenance all the time. One day I will stop bulking/cutting, maybe soon. Only when I feel I'm pretty happy with the muscle I have.

My main goal is strength though. I would never get fat and out of shape, to get strong, but I would give up my goals of muscle, and definition and abs etc if it was strictly one or the other, and settle for just a regular healthy size/shape.
    Found this:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/why_bodybuilders_are_more_jacked_than_powerlifters

"you should not obsess with powerlifting totals and try to blend too much powerlifting techniques into your hypertrophy training if increased muscularity is your primary goal.

It seems quite clear that if your goal is to maximize muscular development it's important to never stray too far away from proven bodybuilding principles"

I don't believe that doing both is the optimal way of going about being the best in either of them, especially where time is concerned. If you're eating to maximise strength gains as best you can, a bodybuilding look is going to have to give a bit, especially if you're competing, as that would require at least some contest prep/dieting which would hinder or slow down strength gains.

Also, the training that goes best with muscular hypertrophy, isn't designed to build strength as well as a specific strength program. That's not to say I believe you can't do both - as I believe you can. I just don't think it's optimal if you want to be the best, and as soon as possible.

An example that first came to mind for me, for someone doing both would be Matt Ogus (Youtube) He has done powerlifting comps, and he's a lot stronger than many bodybuilders I've seen. I think he seems to be mainly focusing on bodybuilding now, but I've seen him do strength routines lately still, I don't think he's completely dismissed that side of it. To me, he looks like he could be extremely good at both.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I just want to be as storng as possible and maintain a reasonable body composition. While I will never look like a body builder, I think my physique will continue to improve until age catches up with me.
  • taso42
    Options
    Also....

A bodybuilder is a weightlifter who is too weak to be a powerlifter.
    A powerlifter is a weightlifter who is too fat to be a bodybuilder.

:bigsmile:
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I just want to be as storng as possible and maintain a reasonable body composition. While I will never look like a body builder, I think my physique will continue to improve until age catches up with me.
    [/quote

^^^ This is exactly how I feel. I work out to feel good, strong, healthy and bad *kitten*. The positive physique changes are a bonus. If I didn't feel stronger and better at the workouts each time I did them, I probably would not have the motivation to continue no matter how much smaller/thinner/etc my body was looking in the mirror.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Also....

So, what you're saying is, since I want to go the route of powerlifting...wait...ARE YOU CALLING ME FAT?!?! :laugh:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Also....

This.

I like the term powerbuilder. Train for strength, eat to stay lean yet grow, mix of both worlds without optimizing either.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I want both! :cry:

I think my ideals and the way I like to train is more characteristic of a powerlifter. I actually quite hate isolation exercises.

But I want to be hot. (And I haven't seen many hot powerlifters.)

See my dilemma?
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Also....

lel, so true.

I would consider myself a powerlifter because I simply enjoy doing squats. I also like getting compliments from strangers on my form and the weight I'm moving. Just a couple weeks ago I had a guy come up and tell me that my working sets at squat was "the most impressive thing I've seen in a gym." :blushing:

I've yet to see any of the BB-type guys at my gym do squats... In fact, I only see about 2 or 3 other people at my gym doing squats (properly), otherwise it's either 1/4 ROM or in the smith rack.
  • taso42
    Options
    (And I haven't seen many hot powerlifters.)

How 'bout now? :)
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Which are you?

Which do you want to be?

Explain the difference.

What are the best routines for both?

Do you have to pick one or the other? At what point?
    Nuttin'
    Power Lifter
    Difference to me: I'm oblivious, but I know every body builder I know is very...I must work this specific muscle right now. I just want to be able to do stuff. Powerlifting stuff (to me thats just squats, dead lifts, and bench presses or something right?) work several groups...so you can kind of get away with touching everything and not having a different but specific body part feel sore each day. That's my logic anyhow. Cause I can work a specific muscle group way past the point I'll regret it. That's my logic, but take it as a person who is clueless.

Muscles, they are directly related to strength. To have a lot of muscle, you have to have a lot of strength. To have a lot of strength, you have to lift heavier things...at least thats what my ignorant I haven't read up on any of this mind is telling me

That and I'm a freak when it comes to being obsessed with technique, and I think more technique is involved with lifting with more muscle groups.
  • taso42
    Options
    By the way, not that my opinion about bbing really means anything, but I personally believe that at the core of any bb program should be a powerlifting program. The big compounds should be done by basically anyone who is physically able; and then assistance/accessory work can be tweaked and tuned to have a more bbing type of focus.

Something like this
    http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/09/531-and-bodybuilding/

ETA: I also think that the vast majority of us on this site, will get more bang for the buck doing the big compounds for a year or two before moving on to iso work. So even if one's focus is ultimately bodybuilding, I think building up a good strength foundation, especially for the first couple of years, is the most efficient way to get to the end game.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Nia Shanks:

IMG_1842__480x640_.jpg

She can bench 145lbs, deadlift 300lbs at 122lbs body weight.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I'm a hybrid most of the weights I lift are considered fairly heavy but I'm still doing sets with 8-12 reps, but I can do very heavy 1 rep maxes as well.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

^Shorter, heavier, stronger, and tighter looking then me...Who wouldn't want to have that?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I always think the way I train is (mostly) for powerlifting. Compound movements, designed to get me as strong as possible. A few isolations thrown in to help, or more aesthetic reasons.

I think the way I structure my food/diet is more for bodybuilding. I do cutting and bulking, whereas if I was training mainly for strength I would be on at least maintenance all the time. One day I will stop bulking/cutting, maybe soon. Only when I feel I'm pretty happy with the muscle I have.

My main goal is strength though. I would never get fat and out of shape, to get strong, but I would give up my goals of muscle, and definition and abs etc if it was strictly one or the other, and settle for just a regular healthy size/shape.
    Found this:

I don't believe that doing both is the optimal way of going about being the best in either of them, especially where time is concerned. If you're eating to maximise strength gains as best you can, a bodybuilding look is going to have to give a bit, especially if you're competing, as that would require at least some contest prep/dieting which would hinder or slow down strength gains.

Also, the training that goes best with muscular hypertrophy, isn't designed to build strength as well as a specific strength program. That's not to say I believe you can't do both - as I believe you can. I just don't think it's optimal if you want to be the best, and as soon as possible.

An example that first came to mind for me, for someone doing both would be Matt Ogus (Youtube) He has done powerlifting comps, and he's a lot stronger than many bodybuilders I've seen. I think he seems to be mainly focusing on bodybuilding now, but I've seen him do strength routines lately still, I don't think he's completely dismissed that side of it. To me, he looks like he could be extremely good at both.

Ogus is a freakin' beast.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I want to be a little chick that surprises people with my supergirl ability to lift heavy ish.

So, powerlifter.