Bodybuilder or Powerlifter

Options

Replies

• lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    (And I haven't seen many hot powerlifters.)

How 'bout now? :)
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    ^Shorter, heavier, stronger, and tighter looking then me...Who wouldn't want to have that?

I said "many" not any. :D Staci and Nia are both gorgeous! I was speaking to stereotypes and certainly didn't mean they were all hideous trolls.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    ^Shorter, heavier, stronger, and tighter looking then me...Who wouldn't want to have that?

I said "many" not any. :D She's gorgeous!

I actually misread it as "any", even after quoting! :)
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    I just want to be as storng as possible and maintain a reasonable body composition. While I will never look like a body builder, I think my physique will continue to improve until age catches up with me.

^^^ This ... though age is starting to catch up with me, so I do a mixture of compound and isolation work, have to be a bit easy on the joints and long term injuries I've picked up over the years.

So I guess I'm more into looking and feeling healthy and toned maybe?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I want to be a little chick that surprises people with my supergirl ability to lift heavy ish.

So, powerlifter.
    Go go gadget super strength!
  • lacurandera1
    Options

And to think. I made a comment about reading comprehension on this site in my morning's status! :laugh:

P.S> i'm sorry if you didn't think this was funny but I actually just laughed so hard I snorted.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I am more a bodybuilding type I think.. But I really am excited to keep adding weight but I won't do it to the point where I lose my curvy physique. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle.. but I did tell Chris Davey one day I will be able to deadlift his weight so that's gonna take some power! :smile:
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    bodybuilder. I don't care about strength for the sake of strength. And the idea of getting fat just to be strong is not appealing to me. Big, strong, and aesthetic...that's what I want. There are a few guys who do both, that's ideal imo.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

And to think. I made a comment about reading comprehension on this site in my morning's status! :laugh:

P.S> i'm sorry if you didn't think this was funny but I actually just laughed so hard I snorted.

it actually made me sad. I try to maintain this image of being a smartypants, yet I can barely read or type a single sentence without messing up :sad: :laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Also....

A bodybuilder is a weightlifter who is too weak to be a powerlifter.
    A powerlifter is a weightlifter who is too fat to be a bodybuilder.

:bigsmile:

Judging by this, I'm a powerlifter.

I don't want to be bodybuilder-lean or fitness-competitor lean. Props to those who do, but it's not for me, in aesthetics or (especially food-related) dedication. I prefer the "off-season" look.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilder for sure though I do not want to me overly muscluar to the point that it is no longer very feminine.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I want to be strong more than I want to look good. I'm jealous of women who can lift more than me, and I'm jealous of people who can do exercises that I can't do, or more push-ups than me and stuff like that. And most of the pics I've seen of women that I'm jealous of in terms of how strong they are, also look fantastic and I'd be more than happy to look just as fantastic.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I want to be a little chick that surprises people with my supergirl ability to lift heavy ish.

So, powerlifter.

:flowerforyou:
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I actually wouldn't want to be a bodybuilder... the extremely low bf% doesn't sound fun at all.

I'd rather eat all the foodz, lift like the she-hulk, and look pretty good in a bikini. :bigsmile:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilder for sure though I do not want to me overly muscluar to the point that it is no longer very feminine.

Neither category loses femininity unless steroids are involved.

Again, power lifter:
    IMG_1842__480x640_.jpg

Bodybuilder:
    tumblr_mdqdjjf8lM1rj6k3yo1_500.jpg

I bet Jamie isn't very strong compared to Nia, but Nia's muscles aren't as big.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I think at the most elite levels (particularly when pharmaceuticals come into play) the training paradigms can vary quite a bit.

However, for a natural guy like me that's not chasing any records and will never go up on stage, there is no difference. I want to be stronger than I am now, and I want to be in better shape too. That's both ideals, not one or the other. Being a 'powerlifter' isn't an excuse to be a fat f*** and being a 'bodybuilder' isn't an excuse to be weak as f***, either. If you really want to excel, do both.

As I said before, it might change at the elite levels, but until then I don't think there is ANY difference between one or the other. Get in shape to build your work capacity, grow musculature to increase your strength ceiling, increasing strength will impact your ability to maximize time under tension.
  • lacurandera1
    Options

it actually made me sad. I try to maintain this image of being a smartypants, yet I can barely read or type a single sentence without messing up :sad: :laugh:

LOL. I'm pretty sure I saw you fail at a calorie math problem once too. It's ok. Don't get too down.

(i looked for an appropriately comforting emoticon for this but they don't seem to exist)

(on the list for new emoticons.... :emo: :sadvomit: and :petthedoofus:)
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I guess i am neither because i can't lift heavy weights and i don't have a good physique
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Neither category loses femininity unless steroids are involved.

Again, power lifter:
    IMG_1842__480x640_.jpg

Bodybuilder:
    tumblr_mdqdjjf8lM1rj6k3yo1_500.jpg

I bet Jamie isn't very strong compared to Nia, but Nia's muscles aren't as big.

GREAT examples of both! I think people see both dramatized by roids and they think that ish is standard... no way.. haha. Both look awesome
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Also....

A bodybuilder is a weightlifter who is too weak to be a powerlifter.
    A powerlifter is a weightlifter who is too fat to be a bodybuilder.

:bigsmile:

Based on above statements, I'll go for bodybuilder since I probably won't get very strong anyways, given my shocking lack of testosterone in my bloodstream :(
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

nelson_haha.jpg