Bodybuilder or Powerlifter

Options

Replies

• lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    If I grunt in the gym, does that make me a powerlifter? :laugh:

Depends. If you were grunting from men's locker room then nah you wouldn't be a powerlifter. :laugh:

LMAO

:laugh: I don't even know what that would mean for me since I'm a chick. Actually, I tend to be a tourette-er. Like on that last squat where I'm pretty sure my knees are gonna give out and I yell a little "c*cksucker" to myself and stand up anyway...
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Depends. If you were grunting from men's locker room then nah you wouldn't be a powerlifter. :laugh:

LMAO

:laugh: I don't even know what that would mean for me since I'm a chick. Actually, I tend to be a tourette-er. Like on that last squat where I'm pretty sure my knees are gonna give out and I yell a little "c*cksucker" to myself and stand up anyway...

This I have to see.
  • Jonesie1984
    Options
    Well if you're doing all of those noises, then IMO you're not supplying enough oxgen to your muscle. And you need this to fatigue the muscle so it will repair itself to grow and to get stronger. Just my two cents!

That last set though?! Grunts all day ahha
    ...Otherwise I would be pushing for another

Well do another one and another one and another one. Wear the muscle out, but don't cry and scream about it. :-)

I don't cry, I actually smile like a crazy demon possessed woman. :bigsmile:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Neither for me. I lift weights as recreation, to be strong, look good, and age well, and deal with injuries. That means I look good the way I like to look, and I get stronger than I was before and continue to improve. But, I am not trying to be a professional weight lifter or in competition. I am a dancer and that is primarily the area I am concerned with in terms of my improvement in my physical strength, flexibility, endurance and abilities. Weight lifting supports my improved and continuing fitness and the health of my body and the aesthetic results are very much appreciated by me.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

1. It's not nice to call anyone "gross". She most likely likes the way she looks and has worked hard to achieve it.

Thank you.

Let's not get all mean about different body types and calling them gross.

Astonishing that you assumed that I called her gross when the fact is I said gross line of muscular indicating a great or exorbitant amount of muscle, also if I felt that she looked gross that would be my personal opinion on aesthetics which again I never said she was gross. So point is moot.

LMAO

Hahaha, I swear when I get to that point too, it's like it gives me the power to finish or something :laugh:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Powerlifter. IMHO powerlifter focuses on strength. Bodybuilder focuses on asthetics. Sure I would like to look better......but if I have to choose between looking better and being stronger.....I am going to go with being stronger.....to a certain point.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • lacurandera1
    Options

1. It's not nice to call anyone "gross". She most likely likes the way she looks and has worked hard to achieve it.

Thank you.

Astonishing that you assumed that I called her gross when the fact is I said gross line of muscular indicating a great or exorbitant amount of muscle, also if I felt that she looked gross that would be my personal opinion on aesthetics which again I never said she was gross. So point is moot.

I thought I distinguished a nuance of syntax and the English language in your comment but I assumed you would take care of the misconstruction of it yourself. :)

p.s I'm offering proofreading services to anyone interested. Taso is my first customer. You can get a reference from him after he finishes his post (and I fix it) about how much of a rude, inconsiderate bully I am.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    powerlifting all the way. sorry Arnold!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Thank you.

I thought I distinguished a nuance of syntax and the English language in your comment but I assumed you would take care of the misconstruction of it yourself. :)

p.s I'm offering proofreading services to anyone interested. Taso is my first customer. You can get a reference from him after he finishes his post (and I fix it) about how much of a rude, inconsiderate bully I am.

"Bodybuilder for sure though I do not want to me overly muscluar to the point that it is no longer very feminine."

"I was meaning along this gross line of muscluar haha."

Did you mean "gross" and in "macroscopic"??

Because the phrase "gross line of muscular" doesn't really make sense to me.

ETA: If you meant to use it in the anatomy terminology, then I apologize for my misunderstanding. But, ya know, I'm not the only one who interpreted what you said as meaning you thought her body was "gross" for being muscular. Terms of art serve a purpose but recognize that many of us don't know them. I actually never knew what "gross anatomy" really meant until i looked it up during this discussion!
  • lacurandera1
    Options

Thank you.

"Bodybuilder for sure though I do not want to me overly muscluar to the point that it is no longer very feminine."

"I was meaning along this gross line of muscluar haha."

Did you mean "gross" and in "macroscopic"??

Because the phrase "gross line of muscular" doesn't really make sense to me.

One of the first definitions of gross is "glaringly noticeable" or "immediately obvious." I'd venture to say that the word's origins are of that nature "a gross injustice", etc...rather than the implications we have given it in modern day of "disgusting. Kind of like "gay" or "*kitten*" -- they didn't always mean homosexual.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Neither.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

One of the first definitions of gross is "glaringly noticeable" or "immediately obvious." I'd venture to say that the word's origins are of that nature "a gross injustice", etc...rather than the implications we have given it in modern day of "disgusting. Kind of like "gay" or "*kitten*" -- they didn't always mean homosexual.

etymology is one of my favorite things too :)

Still "immediately obvious line of muscular" ?? Does that make sense?

I am willing to agree that she may not have meant what I took it to mean. I can't put words in her mouth. But i also don't think it was outside the realm of reasonableness for myself (and others) to think she was using the word "gross" the way so many do when discussing the bodies of muscular bodybuilder females.
  • MightyDomo
    Options

One of the first definitions of gross is "glaringly noticeable" or "immediately obvious." I'd venture to say that the word's origins are of that nature "a gross injustice", etc...rather than the implications we have given it in modern day of "disgusting. Kind of like "gay" or "*kitten*" they didn't always mean homosexual.

Pretty much what I was trying to say without negatively stating it but not everyone is going to take what I write exactly how I meant it. So I tried to correct or make more obvious that I was trying to say how much muscle not that I was trying to say she was gross. Thanks lacurandera1 for knowing that I didn't mean it negatively.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

One of the first definitions of gross is "glaringly noticeable" or "immediately obvious." I'd venture to say that the word's origins are of that nature "a gross injustice", etc...rather than the implications we have given it in modern day of "disgusting. Kind of like "gay" or "*kitten*" they didn't always mean homosexual.

Pretty much what I was trying to say without negatively stating it but not everyone is going to take what I write exactly how I meant it. So I tried to correct or make more obvious that I was trying to say how much muscle not that I was trying to say she was gross. Thanks lacurandera1 for knowing that I didn't mean it negatively.

Thank you for clarifying :) And for making me learn a new thing today!
  • lacurandera1
    Options
    Etymology is my favorite. :) I think it makes sense. But I use weird words with old meanings. I'm sort of an English/grammar dork. I think gross is an acceptable substitute for "big", as well.

Ok. We all made up. Yay! Back to the real discussion.

ETA: I totally didn't think you guys were out of line for interpreting it that way, either. It was the first thing I thought she meant until i re-read. Plus there's so many asshats here who say things like that that I think we're all a little over sensitive. lol.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Etymology is my favorite. :) I think it makes sense. But I use weird words with old meanings. I'm sort of an English/grammar dork. I think gross is an acceptable substitute for "big", as well.

powerlifting makes me gay.

*kitten* make me sick.

I think bodybuilding is also just foppish! ;)

ETA: "*kitten*" as in the british meaning!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I want to be a little chick that surprises people with my supergirl ability to lift heavy ish.

So, powerlifter.

^This! I'm not short, but 119lbs on a small frame & I wanna be really strong! I'm nothing right now tho, but working on it!
    I don't want to be bodybuilder-lean or fitness-competitor lean. Props to those who do, but it's not for me, in aesthetics or (especially food-related) dedication. I prefer the "off-season" look.

Same here^ I want to gain some muscle, but not TOO much.

So I wanna be strong AND look good lol
  • MightyDomo
    Options

ETA: I totally didn't think you guys were out of line for interpreting it that way, either. It was the first thing I thought she meant until i re-read. Plus there's so many asshats here who say things like that that I think we're all a little over sensitive. lol.

Ha ha, I am kind of like that too, love to learn and love to read so it broadens my manner of speaking and I probably just need to be more clear and concise when I write so it is hard to take it the wrong way. Old habits die hard.

However I do want to body build and I am definitely in the mode of serious for it, powerlifting is good and all but not quite for me. I am strong enough for what I need and I moreso want to hit the fitness model look and stop there.
  • Jonesie1984
    Options

PEACEMAKER!!
  • lacurandera1
    Options
    Hey! Corvus! Now yer getting the hang of things! Lol. Mighty,I feel your pain. Sometimes IRL people look at me like I'm not speaking English.