Guys would you date someone with specail needs?

Options

Replies

• grgnelson
    grgnelson Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My son has special needs....I will do everything in my power to make sure he dates. I'm gonna be his wing man!

That;s what I'm talkin' about!!
  • Papalov100
    Papalov100 Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    thank you all for all the kind words
  • Abhishek1984
    Options
    i know this was directed at guys, but i've got to throw my $0.02 in!

honestly i think it depends on whether the 'special needs' are physical, mental or intellectual. none of these would frighten me away, but they each present their own different set of circumstances. it would also depend upon the degree of the need.

but i work in health, so i think of the most medically severe cases. if someone was functioning in society, then in my mind it doesn't really count and i'd put you on the same footing as everyone else.

just hang on in there. my cousin has a learning difficulty and she's recently had her 1st baby with her loving partner, who also has a learning difficulty. they live in a supportive environment where there is help if they need it. it's a great little set up.

Well said , I have CMT and now I have stopped asking out able bodied women or challenged women , because some empathy on my part tells me that others have their own issues to deal with , if there's someone who's happy to share their life and time with me , its better for them to decide.......expectations on my part that any woman would date me without proper evaluation of all the different aspects would be absurd and self centered
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    My brother has special needs. He is only 3 years old right now, but I do hope that one day, when he is old enough and emotionally ready, he will find a special girl to date. It's not impossible. Hopefully you will find someone with an open mind.

Although you never really said what your special needs are.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what the special need is, how severe, and if it is genetic. In general with no further info, it would be a no.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    My 17 year old son is special needs. I'd like to think that, if he is someday emotionally up to it, he would find someone to share his life with.

Same here! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    My first husband has cerebral palsy, his case is mild, but it never bothered me. I admired his courage in all that he went through just to walk. I believe there is someone for everyone. I even believe there is a second someone for him out there and I just hope he treats her better.
  • Terasome
    Terasome Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    My son has Mild Cerebral Palsy but no intellectual disability. I would hope that people would see past an obvious impairment to who the person really is. I would be so upset if people judged him because of his disability, there is enough judgement around already.

Papolov, you are a beautiful woman and I hope you find the right caring understanding man out there for you.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You are super cute and look like a fun person. I am sure the right person is out there for you! You say "single my whole life" like you're an old spinster or something :laugh: You are young. You have your whole life ahead of you. Just be yourself and I am sure there are great guys out there who would love to be with you.

My teen son is special needs (he has Tourette Syndrome) and I can't keep the girls away from him!! :noway: :laugh: Seriously, he's had a lot of "girlfriends" since kindergarten. He is now venturing into more "serious" relationships. He is handsome, smart , polite and funny. I joke around and call him my ladies man! These things don't matter to some people! They will see past that and see YOU. I agree with the above poster that said you may be letting your special need define who you are. The truth is, you are a great person ......who just HAPPENS to have a special need! :smile:
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I wonder why guys are not wanting to date someone with special needs are they scared that they scared something wrong will happen to the person they date?
    Reason why im asking is because i am special needs and i have been single all my life .

I'm not sure what you mean by 'special needs' nor do I know what your 'special needs' refer to. Sorry, I haven't read every post in this thread which may explain it. And if you do not wish to disclose it - that is fine.
    I am married but if I were single I would not judge someone by their disability nor exclude them because of their disability.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    My son is dating a special needs girl. But then again he is special needs as well so it all evens out.
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Sure. To be perfectly honest though, for me it would depend on the "special need."
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has MD, so it doesn't matter to me. It doesn't burden me to take care of him and sometimes stay up all night with him because he's in pain or is sick. The hardest thing is the very shortened life expectancy.
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    Absolutely! If the person is interested in me, a nice person with good character, why wouldn't I? Your heart is the most beautiful thing, and what we really fall in love with. Sometimes it takes a while to find that person, and sometimes it happens in the blink of an eye.
  • Fredrigo
    Fredrigo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm a Service Coordinator so I have many people on my caseload who struggle with relationships but I can also tell you I have other people on my caseload in lasting healthy relationships,

All I can really say is yes if you compare "singleness" in the special needs population it is disproportionate to the average population but that applies to many subsets of the population.

The more people you interact with and the more social connections you make outside of the Special Needs population the more likely you'll find a healthy relationship (and you shouldn't be ashamed of finding that relationship in the Special Needs population either).

Oh and parents of Special Needs children please talk with your children about relationships (all kinds) often and at length one of the biggest barriers I face is when a family through nothing but good loving intentions manage to leave their child completely unequipped to deal with perfectly normal unprejudiced rejection.
  • Macgeek74
    Macgeek74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I so would. Im all about the person inside and trust.
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    i think this would depend heavily on the type of disability you are referring to. i see no issue dating someone with mild "special needs." These would include impairments to walking, etc. If it were a more serious issue, such as the inability to communicate (i don't speak sign language and i don't think i would learn just to date someone) then there would probably not be enough interest for me to pursue dating.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    A lot of people on here know and have family members who have special needs *and* are in a relationship. It really makes me feel like a loser for being single.

Thanks guys..
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Depends - if sex was one of her special needs then yes
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    No. Probably going to take a hit for being honest, but I wouldn't knowingly get involved in a relationship (if I was single) with a person that had specials needs. If, however, through some unforeseen event, someone I loved some how became a special needs person, I would not leave them. I'd deal with it.