Family member refuses

Options

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I think distance running is a better option for her, vs. lifting. Seriously...
    if she made it this long, she ought to be good for at least a marathon or two...
    endurance is key. She's already halfway there...

I second this advice. Seriously. Lifting at her age is dangerous! But distance running would be beneficial to her heart.

I'm not a huge fan of cardio.

Besides isn't lifting heavy better for EVERYONE?
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this is a joke, but when I'm 92 - provided I'm still even alive by then - I plan on drinking at LEAST a 750ml of hard liqour DAILY and driving whatever sports car I still have as fast as I freakin' can...
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options

how about you two just go walking together around the block. im sure she'd prefer your company

Where's the fun in that? Make her run up "Rocky Steps" :laugh:
  • FinallyDoingMe
    FinallyDoingMe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just get her some raspberry ketone? See if they make it in hard candy. Old people like hard candy, right?
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Take her on a Zombie Survival Run, I'm sure she'd feel right at home.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I can't believe all of the bullying that I am seeing in this thread! Seriously, people are being SO MEAN!!!

I think that getting Granny into Crossfit is an awesome idea.

Lock her in a room with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred or Ripped and tell her she can't come out until she's done the entire DVD (all levels).

Put protein powder in her Ensure shakes to make sure she doesn't lose muscle!
  • Cr01502
    Options

how about you two just go walking together around the block. im sure she'd prefer your company

Where's the fun in that? Make her run up "Rocky Steps" :laugh:

I was thinking more along the lines of some HIIT so she can get some of the metabolic advantages as well.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    This would be a hell of a lot funnier if I didn't know a 92 year old that goes to the gym everyday and lifts. True story.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Maybe your Granny does not want to eat her exercise calories back. Strength training is a much better option, since it is a low-cal burn program.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    Why don't you just get her some raspberry ketone? See if they make it in hard candy. Old people like hard candy, right?

This is a brilliant idea. I'll be looking into it.
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    ok, i see now that this could be a joke post, but i took it seriously because...

i teach a senior exercise class twice a week. we use weights, resistance bands, and balls. my class is one hour long and the focus is muscular strength and range of motion.

the average age of my class members is 82 years old.

but i do have one lady who has been coming for 5 years now, and she is NINETY-SEVEN YEARS OLD.

don't make fun of old people, they will kick your butts.

p.s. i looked at your profile hoping to see a picture of your granny. there wasn't one. but i like your dog.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I don't want to seem insensitive and I really don't know how to ask, but is she in a nursing home?
  • Cr01502
    Options
    This would be a hell of a lot funnier if I didn't know a 92 year old that goes to the gym everyday and lifts. True story.

I agree. Tell this to the people telling me to take it easy on my granny.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Turn off her heat. Trying to stay warm burns hella calories.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Does she even lift?
  • Cr01502
    Options
    I don't want to seem insensitive and I really don't know how to ask, but is she in a nursing home?

She refuses to go.

I think she'd be happier there.
  • mrzpeep1
    mrzpeep1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    She is 92 let that sink in. She has lived a lot longer than you and she must of done something right to last this long.

I know you love your granny but seriously my Grandma Kay is 96 and I'm not dragging her to gym with me. Just be glad she's supportive of you.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Amazing 92 year-old man does side split stretching

http://youtu.be/rZW9KGtHxFM
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Cardio won't make her lose weight anyway. Put her on Stronglifts 5x5 or get her a copy of "New rules of lifting for women".